Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 PM

229 posts, read 925,145 times

Advertisements

I need to replace my washer. Where's the best place to start?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,197,744 times
Doing a dummy order online for a washer at Sears.com to the Ho`olehua zip code shows a delivery charge of $80. Not bad.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Not bad at all. Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if that's pick-up at the dock? or to the door?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 PM

FWIW, a local gal says that:Sears has a new policy that they don’t deliver to Young Bros any more. They deliver them to a freight forwarder who they charges an additional fee for packing the appliances and taking them to Young Bros which ends up adding too much to the final price. The other option is to have Sears deliver them to Kamaka Air. Kamaka will fly them over and deliver them to the house for you. I think they charge about 35 cents a pound plus additional charge based on cubic foot.

Home Depot charges a flat fee of $75 to deliver to Young Bros. Costco charges 5% over floor price to deliver to Young Bros. With Young it adds 15% to 20% to the costs and you have to have someone pick it up for you at Young Bros.

I hope this helps others in my situation.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times
Advertise on the local bulletin boards for one. Look on Craig's List, although there may not be many. Garage sales?

Buy one somewhere on Oahu and then take it to Young Brothers and ship it via "mixed freight", that's pretty cheap. Do you know anyone on Oahu who can buy it for you and ship it?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Yah, Molokai craigslist is kind of a ghost-town. Who needs Craigslist when you have the coconut wireless? I'm thinking anyway that I want one of the newer high-efficiency washers. Water is an issue here. Sadly, I have no contacts in Honolulu. Thanks, though, hotzcatz.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 227,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
I'm thinking anyway that I want one of the newer high-efficiency washers. Water is an issue here.
Save your money!

We bought one of those "high efficiency" washers from Sears last year, a Kenmore Elite (at almost $1100 after taxes!!!), and it turned-out to be a piece of junk! The clothes came out of the washer as filthy as when they went in.

One day, I took a nicely folded stack of white bar towels (perhaps 12-15 in number), and I marked the top-most towel with a small amount of ketchup. Forty-minutes later, when we opened the lid, the towels were all wet, but the ketchup-marked towel was still on top of the stack (i.e., the towels had never even agitated), and the ketchup mark was still plainly visible (little scrubbing had taken place)! A complete waste of money.

But hey, if you're willing to wear dirty clothes in the interests of saving water, a "high efficiency" washer is the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: