Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,205 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

In all the posts I'm reading, it's always the same story family looking to move to Hawaii and wondering about schools and all that good stuff. I'm a 21 year-old college kid who wants to experience something completely different. I would really appreciate advice on where to live, what the job market looks like for not-quite-graduated college students, and if it's possible for me to make a living in Hawaii working 1-2 jobs, living in a one bedroom apartment, and having as much fun as possible while really getting to know the culture.

I'm looking for:
a place near the beach, bars, and fun
somewhere I can live for around $500 a month
where I can find job relatively easily
can provide for my basic food, shelter, etc.

If you could tell me if that's possible, where in Hawaii that's best for my situation, and ANY other advice, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by wantstolivethedream; 07-13-2009 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 AM

30 posts, read 77,856 times
Hey there,
I can definitely not discourage you as I'm going with a group of girls that are 25-26. I know you didn't offer the idea- but you should definitely consider a roommate. I saw you wanted a one bedroom apartment and for $500 a month, I haven't seen anything of the sort- perhaps if you check out a different island. (I'm assuming your flying into Honolulu)
I know we checked out Craigslist for our house, and we'll all jump into the tourism industry to get jobs. We are in the middle of moving right now and will be on Oahu on August 15th.
Good luck!

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-14-2009 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: no mention of blog please

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
aloha, moving here when you are young is the time to do it. come with as much savings as possible. save, save, save. the job market now really is bad. check out the newspapers on line will give you an idea of what is available. I doubt you will be able to live alone in a studio ofr 500 bucks a month and will probably need to rent a room or have roommates. 2 jobs is also the way to go as most jobs here pay, if you are lucky ten bucks an hour. if the economy was better I would say if you had roommates and worke two jobs it will be pretty easy for you to get settled. right now with the economy one job will be hard ti find but if you have a good savings when you get here you may be able to wait it out till you get settled. I would think oahu is the place with the most opportunity. good luck

Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Bring three friends with you, then you will be able to hui together to share an apartment, furniture, etc. Live as cheap as possible so you will be able to find some sort of employment which will cover the expenses. You will have an adventure, but you will be spending a lot of time working to pay for it all. It is not cheap to live in Hawaii, if it were the islands would sink from the amount of people on it.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:41 PM

11 posts, read 11,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantstolivethedream View Post
Aloha!

In all the posts I'm reading, it's always the same story family looking to move to Hawaii and wondering about schools and all that good stuff. I'm a 21 year-old college kid who wants to experience something completely different. I would really appreciate advice on where to live, what the job market looks like for not-quite-graduated college students, and if it's possible for me to make a living in Hawaii working 1-2 jobs, living in a one bedroom apartment, and having as much fun as possible while really getting to know the culture.

I'm looking for:
a place near the beach, bars, and fun
somewhere I can live for around $500 a month
where I can find job relatively easily
can provide for my basic food, shelter, etc.

If you could tell me if that's possible, where in Hawaii that's best for my situation, and ANY other advice, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
ALoha!!! Welcome to HAWAII! You'll find that its just a sunny paradise in all ways here! Studios near the beach, bars and fun go for $500/month, jobs are "relatively easy" to find, heck arriving at the airport you'll be given a lei and a job, as well as keys to your personal beach house! Welcome home!

LOL Ok in all seriousness, you are kinda asking for way too much with way too little. Rent for a studio in any area at all will be nearly impossible to find below $1000/month. The job market and economy are in shambles now, and you really must have either extremely marketable skills, be a hot girl, or even better, have great connections. Everything is more expensive there.

I had the privilege of being born and raised in Hawaii, and have lived all over Oahu and parts of Maui, and I can say that it is like nowhere else in the world, but this is not a secret, so you need to understand that if you want to move to Hawaii, you need to:

1)Go with savings(seriously, at LEAST several thousand dollars)
2)Have some kind of support sytem(either friends to go with you or find a forum with new hawaii residents to ask advice and possibly set some friends up who are already established in HI)
3)KNOW WHAT YOU WANT from Hawaii: You obviously want fun, adventure and something new, but be careful not to just let yourself drift aimlessly like so many there. And be careful to balance play with work, and set goals for yourself while there: experiences, educational, etc

All that being said, If you want to do it, plan accordingly and GO FOR IT

If you want something bad enough, I'm sure you'll find a way to get it. Good luck buddy

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
Don't want to be a buzzkill, but if you're expecting $500/mo, you're going to end up in a tent on the beach real fast.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,918 times
I hear people talk about how bad the job market is in Hawaii. But, I get the feeling people are talking about retail or service industry jobs.

Does anyone have any input on the job market for professional work? I have an MBA and my wife is an experienced nurse. We'd be open to civilian work with the military or the private sector.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:17 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
if you want something for just you without roomates for $500 a month, you're going to be limited to the Big Island, and that means the things like bars and parties are far, far, far less likely. food and shelter is easy on BI, but i wouldn't say it's a party type of place. then again, you say you want something completely different and new, so maybe you should look for a place without the types of bars and parties your used to. maybe big island is for you if you really are looking for something different.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:46 AM

103 posts, read 304,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Don't want to be a buzzkill, but if you're expecting $500/mo, you're going to end up in a tent on the beach real fast.
I'm expecting to pay 500 a month. But I'm going to be living with three other people...

Roommates can be a big help when you're just starting out in a new place. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: