Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 19,762 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are moving to Maui. After 15 years of visiting all the islands, this is where we want to be. However we don't know what part of the island to live on.
Any places we should stay away from?

We both will be seeking employment once we've moved, probably in the hotel industry.

People keep warning me about cockroach problems in housing/condos....we've always stayed in hotels and never seen any.
Is this a big problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
With the tourism industry in such a mess, can you transfer? Otherwise, there may not be any jobs to be had for you.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
for ease of commute you would live either lahaina or kihei have a bug service guy come around once a month. well worth it.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the advice on the bugs, so it is true. Good to know.

Can you tell me more about living in Maui?
Have you lived there your whole life?

And do you know anyone in the hotel industry?
Do you know if there are usually a lot of job openings at the large resorts?
That is what I am counting on.

My husband is in sales.

Last edited by Lawaii; 07-22-2009 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM

I have lived here a long time and have family in the resort hotel business. I was in sales. under normal economy you could easily get into a hotel or sales job and do ok. right now there really are no jobs to be had. hotel occupancy is down, really down. I would say as an example a hotel with 300 rooms in a decent time would have an occuppancy of say 245 to 275 filled rooms now has maybe 125 filled. people have been laid off like crazy. check the mauinews on line that will give you an idea of how bad it is. the classified section really sucks these days. if you can wait till the economy is going again or you have saved a ton of money.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Maui News had NO jobs, The St. Regis is opening October 1st in Kauai, that would be our 2nd choice of islands.
Actually my husband likes the Big Island the best but I can't go from a big city to that island first. I need a little more action/people than the Big Island has.

Any other suggestions for us?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
... right now there really are no jobs to be had. hotel occupancy is down, really down....
There is a decent 2* hotel in Kailua-Kona that had a 15% occupancy rate last month!

Don't come expecting you'll get a job in the hotel industry. It is only going to get worse, near-term.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawaii View Post
Maui News had NO jobs, The St. Regis is opening October 1st in Kauai, that would be our 2nd choice of islands.
Actually my husband likes the Big Island the best but I can't go from a big city to that island first. I need a little more action/people than the Big Island has.

I know there are no jobs not even for locals. kauai is even smaller. if you can get on at the st. regis take it otherwise wait for the economy to turn around. from what my friends tell me big island has no jobs either. so sorry.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawaii View Post

Hmmm ... if going to Big Island from your city history would be too much "culture shock" (or, I should say 'lack-of-culture' shock), I wouldn't hold much hope for Kauai being satisfactory ... ever notice how 'K', in Kauai, sounds like 'Q' in Quiet?

... for that matter, Maui isn't a city-like place either. But certainly the only island other than Oahu for feeling some activity around you.

Oahu not interest you?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM

Funny....the 'Q' comment. Yes, we've stayed there twice and it is quieter.
But at this point if we got jobs in Kauai we'd be happy because we're living where we want to live, just not exactly on the island we think we'd prefer.

Oahu is too much city, been there, done that my whole life.
We do like the north shore area of Oahu.

Are jobs easier to get in Oahu at this time?

I want peace in my life and the ocean, and that is what Hawaii has always given us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii