U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 AM

16 posts, read 111,679 times

Advertisements

we're looking to buy some furniture used online (craigslist)--a medium-sized sofa, maybe a matching chair, etc. we have a honda crv, which has some decent space inside with the seats down, but to haul a sofa, i don't think it's adequate. anyone have any ideas how to get a sofa from someone online to our place? unless the person selling it offers to haul it to our place, we don't see how we can do it. my wife recommended strapping it to the roof. hmm... i've strapped mattresses to the roof, but a sofa?!

as a side note, anyone know where i can make friends with someone with a pickup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 AM

3,754 posts, read 9,010,967 times
Your CR-V won't support the weight of a sofa! Even with the factory roof rack, the weight limit is only about 125 pounds, MAX.

You are in Hawaii - every 3rd neighbor must have a jacked-up pickup truck, right? Ask if they will help you for say $20 or so.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 AM

8,857 posts, read 16,502,969 times
Home DePot rents out their trucks although I don't know if you have to buy something from their store or not.

You could advertise on Craig's List for someone with a truck to help you move the sofa. Also ask the seller if they know how to get it moved since they would also have an interest in moving the sofa.

Your wife is right, the outside of the car is much bigger than the inside. We've hauled all sorts of things on the roofs of our cars, but we've always had roof racks to tie things to.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 AM

682 posts, read 2,392,474 times
I've used the Home Depot rental truck for exactly this purpose (but be flexible... it may not be there when you go in, and you'll have to wait for someone to return it).

When I was buying stuff on craigslist, I saw regular posts from someone (enterprising!) offering a pretty cheap delivery service. You could search for that.

I also once paid professional movers a pretty small sum ($80, maybe?) to move an awesome but large, heavy, and awkward corner unit that a friend was giving me for free.

But the best option is a friend with a truck. Now that we're more established here, we use that method!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM

3,199 posts, read 10,241,225 times
Or you could rent a pickup from Alamo, National etc. I think the Home Depot truck is pretty expensive if you haven't bought anything at the store. I think UHaul also has small trucks available to rent.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

682 posts, read 2,392,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Or you could rent a pickup from Alamo, National etc. I think the Home Depot truck is pretty expensive if you haven't bought anything at the store. I think UHaul also has small trucks available to rent.
The Home Depot truck rents per hour, and the fee is the same if you made a purchase or not (at least this was the case about a year ago). My recollection is that if you use the truck for less than 2 hours, it's a lot cheaper than a daylong rental from a car company, but once you hit 3 hours, a day rental is just a bit more. So if you're moving stuff around town (as we were) and can do it in less than an hour, it's a really good deal.

The problem is that very few of the car rental companies have pickups, minivans aren't really suitable for moving big things like sofas, and the minivan rental per day is actually quite a lot.

I don't remember why we didn't use UHaul... if it was more expensive or if they didn't have trucks on short notice or what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii