U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 PM

15 posts, read 50,813 times

Advertisements

If there's been a past discussion on this topic, please direct me to thread. Have 2 questions: 1) need to find out if there are any items that cannot be shipped in a Matson container, and 2) what's the best way to transport a handgun to Hawaii.
We have small Coleman propane cannisters. If those can't be shipped, we'll use them up before we move. As to the gun, in California if you are bringing a gun into the state you have to sell your gun to a dealer in whatever state you have the gun in, the dealer then sells it to a Calif. gun dealer, then you pay the Calif. gun dealer a fee to pick up your gun. Wondering if we have to bring gun into Hawaii through a gun dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 AM

229 posts, read 564,446 times
Matson will give you a list of prohibited items, but a rule of thumb is: no paint, no solvents, no fuel no ammo, nothing that could create hazardous fumes or chemical contamination, nothing that will explode. The interior of those containers get very hot!

I chose not to pack cleaning products, less for the issue of contamination, but because I didn't want to deal with the mess.

edited to add: As for firearms, the HRA has this page that might help you:

http://www.hawaiirifleassociation.or...d=42&Itemid=47

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 10-10-2009 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: added information

Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,661,719 times
You can ship just about anything in a Matson container so long as you declare it, package it correctly for shipment, and pay the proper tariff for the item.Now, if shipping via Matson using their household container service, they restrict the contents of that service (for the price your paying) to household items of a non-hazardous, non-animal, not vegetation nature. You can but the proper packaging container for about $50 bucks, place the contai9ner in it. Have it inspected for about $175 and change. Complete and file all the required shipping documents. Pay Matson a hazardous material tariff of maybe $1,000 and include it in your container with your other household goods. Or just buy a new one on Hawaii.The one thing you don't want to do is pack it without telling them. Odds are they won't find out, but if they do (random inspection or electronic screening) you are in a heap of trouble not worth the savings.As for firearms, you are required to appear at the County Police within 72 hours of arrival with that firearm to complete the licensing and registration paperwork. For what itís worth, Hawaii is a very strict illegal firearm state and they will practically fry you for a violation. But getting a license for the firearm and registration is easier than licensing and registering your vehicle. If you donít have anything that would make you ineligible to own a firearm, they biggest hassle is getting the fingerprint ink off your fingers. Make sure if you have a license where youíre coming from and took any gun training you have that with you, it speeds things up. And NEVER carry it in public. Hawaii does not recognize anyoneís conceal handgun license. Itís nearly impossible to get a conceal license so donít even try.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 17,713 times
I recently moved here and brought all my guns with me.

The way to do it is to check them in your baggage and declare them at the police department within 72 hours of you arrival as stated previously.

I flew with American Airlines and their policy is on their website.

If you have a FFL in your state ship them to a FFL in Hawaii then you have to go thru several more steps to get them back and into your posession.

The whole process was not as bad as I thougth it would be.

Last edited by nursetess; 10-13-2009 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: fyi

Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 50,813 times
Thanks everyone for the info. Nursetess, I read the airline requirements for firearms in checked luggage, but am wondering about TSA people and the x-ray procedure? I've heard stories about theft of cameras and such in luggage, are your checked bags w/ a firearm treated any more securely than just a regular bag?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,463,876 times
Can't say for Hawaii but tons of guns shipped via airlines to Alaska for hunting. Knew hunters that went to Mexico with guns that didn't have a problem shipping. Now when the Mayors daughter was kidnapped and gringo's with guns it got a little sticky with patrols drinking tequila questioning gringo's with guns.

I would think Hawaii is plenty fine if you fallow the rules.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 AM

3 posts, read 17,713 times
Darlaxox8,

Here is my experience with getting my guns to Honolulu with American Airlines a couple of months ago:

American Airlines dictates that guns be unloaded and transported in a lockable crushproof case. Up to three rifles are allowed per case. Up to five handguns are allowed per case. Each passenger can have up to eleven pounds of ammo, in it's original packaging, in their regular checked luggage. For the trip I purchased Pellican cases and padlocks for the guns.

When I got to the airport and checked the cases I was made to fill out a declaration tag basically stating the guns were not loaded. One tag was filled out per case. I was made to unlock the cases put the tag inside and lock the cases back up. I confirmed that I was the only person with the key to the gun cases. The cases were put into the luggage system and I was asked to wait near the baggage counter for fifteen minutes in the event that TSA personell needed me to come back to a secure area and unlock the cases for their inspection. I was not called back so I proceeded thru security.

The one thing you may want to consider is that you will have to open your gun cases in public at the baggage check-in area. I had wrapped my guns in old t-shirts to protect them in case they shifted and touched each other in transit. This was nice because when I opened the cases the general public was not able to see the weapons.

Once you arrive in Honolulu you must register your guns with the police within 72 hours of your arrival. This did not cost anything and was very easy. If you transport your guns to a range you must take this registration paperwork with you. If you do not register the guns you would be committing a felony.

You may consider calling Young Guns in Honoluolu to get info on magazines other things that are not allowed on the island. Basically handguns can not have a magazine over 10 rounds. No fully automatic weapons. Since there are some handguns that take AK and AR mags you can not have AK or AR mags over 10 round capacity. The also spoke of how once they saw an older SKS with a spiked bayonet that had to be removed to satisfy the police. I would call Young Guns and ask for Don. He has been very helpful.

This is the best way to get it done if the airline you fly with will allow this. If you ship your guns from one FFL in your state to another FFL in Hawaii then you have to go thru multiple steps and fees to get the gun back into your posession. Dealing with the gun shops would be ok but there is a another level of red tape you would have to deal with regarding the police department and permits, etc. It will be a major pain in the butt. The process I have detailed was very easy but you have to spend money on cases if you don't already have them.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: