U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM

37 posts, read 78,217 times
Default How serious is heart worm to dogs living in Hawaii?

While preparing our dogs for the direct release program, a vet-tech who lived in Honolulu previously highly recommended getting our dogs on heart worm medication because she said it is a major killer of dogs on the island. Should I take her seriously and spend the cash on medication or is she just trying to get us to spend money? We will be arriving in Maui on October 31st so we would like to get them started right away if she is right. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM

229 posts, read 493,851 times
She is not scamming you. Heartworm is everywhere and is spread by mosquitoes, so all dogs are at risk, even if they don't have contact with other dogs. If you haven't treated to prevent heartworm before, they will want to do a blood test first to make sure your dog doesn't have it already. The results only take a couple of days, and then you can give the medicine.

Do it. You never want to watch your dog die from heartworm. It's horrible.

more info: Heartworm Disease and Your Pet | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Unread 10-10-2009, 08:28 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,709,106 times
heartworm is everywhere and your dog should be on meds even on the mainland. trying to get one healthy when it gets heartworm is a hrad and expensive thing. get the meds to avoid it all together

Unread 10-10-2009, 09:14 PM

A quick search of 1800Petmeds shows that the generic version of HeartGard will cost you about $6 a month for a large dog. Probably less for a smaller breed. You'll pay more for that than that for a plate lunch.

Unread 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM

5,216 posts, read 8,047,773 times
I've heard you can use sheep worming medicine to kill heartworms in dogs if you can't afford the veterinary procedure, but it is risky and the dog could die anyway.

Why don't people seem to get heartworm? We get mosquito bit just as much as the dogs do.

Unread 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM

Good question, 'Catz. As a retired librarian, I had to look it up. ;-) I always just figured that our bodies aren't as hospitable to the larvae as dog bodies are. Turns out, we can get it, very rarely, but the worm tends to settle in our lungs. (ew) More here: What are heartworms, and can I catch them from my dog?

Something else to consider is that Ivermectin, the medicine in HeartGard, will also prevent many of the gut parasites of dogs which are transmissible to humans.

Unread 10-11-2009, 01:12 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,824,144 times
As a former manager I had used to say... "It's as serious as a heart attack." Get the dog on the meds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii