Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM

30 posts, read 166,569 times

Advertisements

It really seems like none of the people who live in Hawaii have a single good thing to say to someone who aspires to relocate there. It's nothing but negativity. You'll be an outsider. Watch how you speak. You'll never find a job. You'll never be accepted unless you learn to behave the same as everyone else. I can only hope this closed-minded view is not shared by everyone who lives in Hawaii. Then again, the positive people are probably outside enjoying Hawaii rather than sitting at their computer telling everyone else how dismal the outlook there is.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,015,582 times
Or maybe the people from Hawaii posting here are telling you the truth and are trying to save you from doing some of the same things they've done. Hawaii is a wonderful place in it's own right but it isn't paradise. As a visitor you can't see it and it's only once you've lived here that you can see more clearly. It took me about a year to get the big picture and most of the negatives people post are true.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 PM

I agree some people have unrealistic views of Hawaii. Maybe there's some kind of sick balance going on here. People come to the forum with an idealistic dream and those already living there counter it with every possible negative aspect of life there.

Life isn't easy anywhere. There will always be someone or a group of people you do not mesh well with. Painting an image of an island full of racist people and telling someone they will be living on the beach, broke and gathering coconuts in six months is an overly pessimistic mindset.

The replies seem full of assumption. They speak only of what a person is giving up and how their life will change drastically. It's an insult to the person's intelligence. They know everything is more expensive. It's an obvious conclusion that life in Hawaii will entail some sacrifice.

Those who can deal with the life there and the sacrifices will flourish. Those who cannot handle it will leave. Or maybe they'll stay and spend all of their time telling everyone how terrible it is there.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,015,582 times
As I've posted previously: To come to Hawaii during the economic down turn you either have to have a in-demand professional degree or be retired and have your own money.

There are NO other options, believe it!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As I've posted previously: To come to Hawaii during the economic down turn you either have to have a in-demand professional degree or be retired and have your own money.

There are NO other options, believe it!
I'm actually planning on college and student loans, personally.

I'm a firm believer that where there is a will there is a way. People do not become successful at anything by accident. It's 99% attitude. If you're a driven person you will find work anywhere. If you are stuck in a negative mindset you will only see negativity.

Reality is subjective. Failure to adapt and thrive is a personal issue, not an attribute unique to a particular location.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM

227 posts, read 914,949 times
People that come here on vacation get a distorted view of the reality of actually living here full time. The people that live here are just trying to tell them what really to expect. You are not going to get off the plane and go to your new house or apartment and be greeted by a pretty girl hanging a lei around your neck. When you are staying at these resort hotels you are secluded from reality and living in a fantasy created by the hotel.

I have been here over a year and love it and have adjusted to the lifestyle of being a full time resident.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,584,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Or maybe the people from Hawaii posting here are telling you the truth and are trying to save you from doing some of the same things they've done. Hawaii is a wonderful place in it's own right but it isn't paradise. As a visitor you can't see it and it's only once you've lived here that you can see more clearly. It took me about a year to get the big picture and most of the negatives people post are true.
When you come to this forum you are seeking advice. You have to expect negatives along with the positives, if you really want honest opinions; and opinions of various people is what you will get. If you have read through ALL the posts, the negatisms provided by the locals are their honest experiences. They are there; you're not. Hawaii is a great place to live: it is beautiful, the people are helpful, friendly and down to earth. AND the cost of living is very expensive. Certainly if you don't have financial concerns or employment issues, you will do fine. There are a lot of homeless people in Hawaii, who lack housing and jobs. Possibly they don't want you to join the ranks and be unable to afford to go home if things don't work out.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:19 PM

91 posts, read 278,285 times
I'm not an avid poster, but I think I'm pretty positive about Hawaii. I love it here, and I encourage others to follow their dreams, but with a dose of realism too. I think the negatives that exist are VERY worth the plethora of positives, but I'm still willing to discuss the negatives so people know what they are getting into.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,458,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Calling View Post
I'm actually planning on college and student loans, personally....
Why would you do that? Borrow less money and go to a mainland university so you don't have as much debt to repay when you get done.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM

18,322 posts, read 18,909,016 times
aloha, I have seen the changes in the reply post here in the last year or so. you are right many of the posts say don't bother you will never make it. some of it has a good deal to do with the economy. jobs are very hard to come by. even when jobs were hard to come by before it is even worse now. some of quite frankly is ...I got mine but please, our islands are crowded enough, you shouldn't come, go away. what people say about the good and the bad here, in a negative or a positive way is the same reality. what I may find no big deal another poster will be bothered by it. so for some their experience will be one of discrimination, and hardship. others experience quite the opposite. so your own personal view of the islands will be what holds true for you. some of the opposition you read are from posters who find it odd that a portion of people will pick up and move here and go for it. while some posters feel id you want to try you should. my advice especailly for a young person is to go for it. come with as much money as possible. see if the islands fit you or not. it is as simple as that. as a student you should try to hook up with other students for share rentals and what the life is like for them. I would think the school or some school groups have something on line that would hook you up a bit. if you want me to be more cautious, I would say stay on the mainland until the economy picks up or until you can save big cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii