U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 AM

65 posts, read 322,933 times
Default Is There Really All This Haole Hate In Hawaii?

I lived in Hawaii for 10 yrs and left to move to Micronesia for a job. I am haole and when I was in Hawaii I never once had a racial experience. I loved the Aina, the food, the music, the people, everything.

Now I am planning on moving back and I have been reading how locals now REALLY hate haole's. When I was there is was mainly a military/local thing and as long as you didn't think you were better than anyone else, you would be fine.

Has something changed or is it still just the military and the people who bring their attitudes with them that are having the problems?

I've been reading alot about this "new" lashing out at haole's and they are saying it is going to get worse.

We want to relocate to Maui. Any advice will be great.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 146,410 times
No campaign, just a few random criminal events, like always. They're always "man bites dog" stories, and will always get media coverage. Sure, there are a few reactionaries who want to go back to loincloths and want to look for someone to blame for their problems, but they don't represent the typical resident.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 AM

115 posts, read 462,690 times
I think that it is just more noticable now because of all the publicity it is getting... But that is just my humble opinion... People are still people and will treat you with respect if you do the same (for the MOST part, that is...)

Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 3,321,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
Other than the cost of living, you shouldn't have too many problems as a haole on Maui. As for anti-haole sentiment in Hawai'i, it's probably no worse than the anti-minority sentiment in other parts of the United States. In terms of advice, don't try to enroll your kids in the Kamehameha Schools (unless you want a nice out-of-court "settlement", and don't expect to quickly get a job working for the local government.
http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/15/news/story01.html
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/05/12/local_news/local03.txt (broken link)

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 55,391 times
Having lived in Ewa Beach, Salt Lake and Honolulu before moving to the Big Island, and speaking as a fair-skinned red head from the East Coast, I've also never had an overtly negative racial experience. There are, however, some who believe it can be easier here for women than for men. Of course, there are always those of every race who are looking for a moment in the spotlight, even if they are being destructive to get it... but my experience is that finding a place here is all about the give-and-take of being respectful.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM

844 posts, read 2,569,564 times
I never have experienced much overt racism here, the only thing close was several years ago, overhearing a fast-food joint manager telling an employee to "always serve da locals first!" I shouldn't name names, but it was at Verna's II driveup in Keaau, the last time I ever darkened their dirty, greasy door.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 AM

259 posts, read 1,414,659 times
I've Never Experienced And Hate Personally. But, I Will Say That In My Experience With A Few Jobs I Had Here, The Locals Were Definitly The First Ones Promoted, Vacation Time Etc....it's A Whole Different Game With Employment Here....any Where Other Than Hawaii These Things Would Not Be Happening, They Live By There Own Rules And Take Care Of Their Own For Sure...

Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 22,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
I lived in Hawaii for 10 yrs and left to move to Micronesia for a job. I am haole and when I was in Hawaii I never once had a racial experience. I loved the Aina, the food, the music, the people, everything.

Now I am planning on moving back and I have been reading how locals now REALLY hate haole's. When I was there is was mainly a military/local thing and as long as you didn't think you were better than anyone else, you would be fine.

Has something changed or is it still just the military and the people who bring their attitudes with them that are having the problems?

I've been reading alot about this "new" lashing out at haole's and they are saying it is going to get worse.

Thanks!
islandsunshine
I was born and raised on Kauai, moved to California, then moved to the Big Island which now is my island home. There are a lot of local people here that cannot seem to accept change. There was this one lady who I talked to at a school my daughter goes to and she had a bad experience being called a hauole and called some other names as well. I told her that hauole means a foreigner and not to down grade my own culture, Hawaiian, but our skin color should not matter or how we look or if we are gay or straight. I am Hawaiian and was not ever taught to judge people of any kind and my mother was a pure Hawaiian. On the other hand, Hawaiians understand it as a way of Hauole's taking away part of the culture here and that I can understand and I do agree with, but again their are Hauole's who respect the culture too! We all just have to except change, but don't forget where we came from and who taught us these values. Aloha, Leimomi

Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 AM

48 posts, read 219,939 times
Only in high-drug use areas, such as Waianae will you get this effect in the extreme. However, these thugs will turn on one another with a baseball bat over a sandwhich so it's hard to decide whether racial issues are really it or not.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM

47 posts, read 132,350 times
We lived here for 6 years and love it (sadly we have to leave this year) We are a military family BUT we live in Ewa (not in military housing) and love the island. My oldest calls it home. It's the longest we've lived anywhere. So, we've had no issues with locals. I have a lot of local friends who have had issues with the military and honestly sometimes I can't blame them. Who wants to hear from someone how their state is hated (there are alot of military here who hate it and are not quiet about it). I wouldn't want to listen to someone trash my home state ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii