Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,428 times

Advertisements

I have PCS orders to Pearl Harbor, and I'm shipping my car with me, on the Navy's dollar, because I don't have equity on it yet that I could sell it here. I spoke with the Vehicle processing center, and they said that once I drop my car off to them, it'll go on a truck to California before being put on a ship. The drive should take a week.

Does anyone have a vague idea of how long it will take a ship to make the transit from the mainland to Hawai'i? I'd like my car to be there when I arrive just to make my life easier, and I'm trying to figure out when I should be looking to drop it off in order for it to get there the first week of January.

Thank you all in advance for your time!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
2 years ago my car took 6 weeks from Baltimore to Kauai. Maybe take off 1 week for the Kauai leg. Army paid for my move when I retired.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
It takes from 5 (first unloading stop in Hawaii after leaving the mainland) to 8 days (last unloading stop in Hawaii before heading back to the mainland) to ship a vehicle from the west coast port to Hawaii. Time depends on which port the vehicle will depart, and which port it will arrive, as well as how the ship is routed to the various Hawaii ports for unloading.

The time it takes to get your vehicle from where you are to those ship docks depends on who and how they are doing it. But the west coast port to Hawaii port is as little as 5 days or as long as 8 days. You also have to consider that whomever is handling the shipping may have certain schedules they use. Your vehicle can arrive in CA on Monday and sit for two weeks (missing two more vessles) because that the deal they worked out with the ship.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
For more information about whether to ship or if you should transport yourself, check out: Should You Ship a Car Across Country? Things to Think About before You Get Car Shipping Quotes | clevergems.com

This article discusses the issue of timing for shipping as well! Enjoy

Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfriedell View Post
For more information about whether to ship or if you should transport yourself, check out:
That question was a couple of years old... and the matter has been discussed at great length in other threads here... and your link gave me a 404 error... but for the benefit of anyone tripping across the thread now, this link works and is a fairly good answer to the original question.

Shipping Cars To Hawaii | Moving To Hawaii

Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
... and your link gave me a 404 error...
Tried it again, and connected this time... but it's not terribly relevant to shipping to Hawai'i, since it is only comparing driving across country to shipping across country. And in terms of loading onto a ship for the sea leg, one of the "Cons" of driving is dead wrong. You can't load up a car with possessions. As a matter of fact, the car has to cleared of everything except the jack and spare tire in order to get it loaded on a ship to Hawai'i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii