Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:55 PM

292 posts, read 948,697 times

Advertisements

Thank you nwcountrygal..

I have to see how this all plays out. If you wnt to know the truth, I would go short sale on this house right now just to get out.
Nothing is ever easy. It seems a billion years ago when I was young I would just pick up and move with no problems. The older one gets the harder it is..

Koa, good luck with your situation too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
Thank you nwcountrygal..

I have to see how this all plays out. If you wnt to know the truth, I would go short sale on this house right now just to get out.
Nothing is ever easy. It seems a billion years ago when I was young I would just pick up and move with no problems. The older one gets the harder it is..

Koa, good luck with your situation too..
Thank you

If you need anything just ask

Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Thank you

If you need anything just ask
Thank you, same here, for you guys..

Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you, same here, for you guys..
I was thinking about how much your shipping costs would be and sharing room in my container then sending it to Kauai

Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Koa just thinking didn't look. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for you to fly round trip to CA with the dog - get a long enough layover to let him out to do business and then ship dog to Hawaii/Kona direct to your wife?? Just wondering a drive to west coast back and forth time consuming plus the gas in the winter?? Or fly dog from Chicago to CA direct to Kona??? Then no interisland price or restrictions. and no one needs to be in Honolulu to have the pet released too. Being you guys have to fly already across country why not just fly direct to Kona?? LA and SF has flights.

I think the dogs are/will fair much eaiser then the poor owners!! Myself included of course!

I have had Cody "practicing" in his crate. He just goes in (doesn't beg anymore not to go in) leftover from a couple years ago when I worked so many hours plus he knows he doesn't get to go in the truck then. I just say Practice and he is in. Had him in it the other day when the carpet guy came over. No excitment. Today he didn't even get up when I came home just laid against the door with his head. it maybe long trip but I am to thinking they will do just fine - it isn't like it is everyday. I know if I take Cody out horse back riding the day before he will be exhuasted and just sleep the whole time. When he gets some great excerise like 20 miles he doesn't move off the couch for 2 days.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Koa just thinking didn't look. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for you to fly round trip to CA with the dog - get a long enough layover to let him out to do business and then ship dog to Hawaii/Kona direct to your wife?? Just wondering a drive to west coast back and forth time consuming plus the gas in the winter?? Or fly dog from Chicago to CA direct to Kona??? Then no interisland price or restrictions. and no one needs to be in Honolulu to have the pet released too. Being you guys have to fly already across country why not just fly direct to Kona?? LA and SF has flights.

I think the dogs are/will fair much eaiser then the poor owners!! Myself included of course!

I have had Cody "practicing" in his crate. He just goes in (doesn't beg anymore not to go in) leftover from a couple years ago when I worked so many hours plus he knows he doesn't get to go in the truck then. I just say Practice and he is in. Had him in it the other day when the carpet guy came over. No excitment. Today he didn't even get up when I came home just laid against the door with his head. it maybe long trip but I am to thinking they will do just fine - it isn't like it is everyday. I know if I take Cody out horse back riding the day before he will be exhuasted and just sleep the whole time. When he gets some great excerise like 20 miles he doesn't move off the couch for 2 days.
Wow your coming up with some great ideas! If I was to drive the dog to west coast I would ship that car from there and either fly back or fly to Hawaii which was one of my plans but now it looks like I stay here for how long it takes. Now I have more to think about. My head hurts

Old 12-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
How much is it to transport vehicle to CA to send to Hawaii? Been a couple of years ago and didn't do it cross country, but while in the car business it was only around $250 Seattle to Denver. Don't know now but thinking. You could always go to a local car dealership and ask if they knew any cheap transporters. Your car will be filthy by the time it arrives in CA.

I found on United around Jan 10 you can get a round trip flight Newark to LA for $401. Flight went through Denver but it was from 5:30 pm arrived at 10:30pm in LA In am ship off pup to Kona and return back to Newark that next night.

Just thinking this way because of my travels this late summer/fall how much it cost me for gas to drive to Alaska... it was 2800 miles one way took 4 exhuasting long days to drive and ended up being much more than round trip flight... Wouldn't want to drive cross country with ice and snow to slow things down. Wouldn't you wife have to fly to Honolulu to release your dog too if not going direct also to increase the cost?

Nothing like a good brain freeze headache... Good luck. Another idea to save in headaches go to a travel agent (I know I never do either) but you could have them research flight ideas for you. I know when I booked my flight my head hurt so bad from days of looking at flights and options that I finally just pulled the trigger on a flight so I didn't have to think about it anymore. Not sure if that is the right way but it was a decision...

Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 AM

To transport a car form here is $2190 From west coast port its $1074.
So If I drive to west coast I save $1116 ad the cost to fly would be say $400 thats $1516 less gas food hotel (can't sleep in the lil thing) but its not all about the money at this point

Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 AM

My head is swimming too. Someone needs to write a computer program about the logistics of moving to Hawaii from the east coast.
After a while I just have to stop thiking because I can't grasp anymore information, just total shut-down.
Koa, I will help anyway I can. What's the game plan with your container?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
My head is swimming too. Someone needs to write a computer program about the logistics of moving to Hawaii from the east coast.
After a while I just have to stop thiking because I can't grasp anymore information, just total shut-down.
Koa, I will help anyway I can. What's the game plan with your container?
Aloha,
(I picked a bad week to stop drinking!)

Well the present plan is as soon as the house sells (passes inspection and title all that stuff) I have the container for 72 hours in my yard I dont think im putting my car in it at this juncture (wouldnt be prudent) but I still have to much stuff for afb pods and this is the cheapest way. then off to Hilo.

I was thinking that if you had to much stuff for pods you could share with me I dunno maybe have the container go to your place then to me then to hilo where I will store my goods in a storage complex . (we have a furnished rental till June) but at that point I could on another container from Hilo send your stuff to Kauai when you need it. Just a thought to save money I do have other plans DM me if you want to talk about it I could give you my email or pnone #
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii