Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 AM

150 posts, read 415,652 times

Advertisements

OK a few things I'm wondering if we should ship or leave behind (give away) when we pack up the house next this coming week:
Our current neighborhood goes all out for holidays, should we bring christmas decorations like outdoor lighted reindeer, outdoor christmas lights for the house? Halloween decorations: our life sized goulish greeter, jack-o-lantern outdoor lights?
We live on a cul-de-sac street and our kids have motorized little electric mattel cars to drive around - max 2-3 mph. They're not too loud but don't know where they might ride them in Maui - they're fun for them here but will they be a bit much to have there?
Thanks as always,
Janet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:32 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
all of the things you mentioned I personally would never pay to ship over here. sell them or give them away. new place new decorations we have that stuff here

Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 AM

155 posts, read 544,804 times
How big is your place here? We downsized, from a 4 bedroom house, to an itty-bitty two bedroom condo. Our master bedroom there was bigger than our living room here. This place is tiny. We shipped one pallet of stuff, gave EVERYTHING else away.

Today, living here, when we go shopping at K-mart or Walmart, I am constantly asking myself, "Do we have room for this?" Most of the time, I say no. Even if I went out to buy Christmas decorations, we would have no place to store them. That's ok. We save $$ by not buying stuff we don't really need.

So, how big is your place here?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 AM

Right now we'll rent a 3 bedroom. Since I'm a bargain freak I got some of these items really inexpensively post season. If these things are usable in any way Maui I'd like to keep them knowing to re-buy would be more$$ anyway. I was just curious if families even decorate much around the holidays or if these little cars would appear to be obnoxious there to neighbors and such.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
yes, people in Hawaii decorate for the holidays. If you have room enough for the decorations, bring them. Not sure about those little cars, they probably won't annoy anyone, the question would be how's the street where you will live, does it have sidewalks? If you do not already have a specific place rented, I wouldn't bring them. You never know if you will have the same kind of neighborhood in Hawaii. Chances are, not.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandVsMom View Post
Right now we'll rent a 3 bedroom. Since I'm a bargain freak I got some of these items really inexpensively post season. If these things are usable in any way Maui I'd like to keep them knowing to re-buy would be more$$ anyway. I was just curious if families even decorate much around the holidays or if these little cars would appear to be obnoxious there to neighbors and such.
People and kids do the same thing in Hawaii as on the mainland. From flashing neon Christmas decorations to kids riding toy cars and mini bikes.

The one recommendation I would have after moving to Kauai 2+ years ago is that if you are planning on any large purchases in the near future (furniture, appliances, heavy items) you might consider buying at your current location and having the items shipped with your other stuff.

Selection and prices on furniture, appliances and some items can be lacking on the outer islands.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Are you using a container or having a moving Co. ship all your household goods? If the latter then slim/cut/or just dump the extra stuff you pay by the pound. If you have a container then fill it up wth what you cant sell there and see if you can sell it on Maui the shipping is free the container has a 22,000 lb weight limit.
This is the same issue I am having I was selling everything I could and still had to use a container so now I am going through the things I was selling and keeping the things like the good BBQ that I would have to re-buy in Hawaii .

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Yup, KoaKine has it right. It all depends on the shipping method. If you are using a container, then pack it full and no mind what since you would be able to sell it here if you no longer had room for it afterwards. If you are paying per box or by the weight to ship it, then store the sentimental stuff somewhere on the mainland in case you may want it later and pare it down to the bare necessities.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Thanks so much everybody. Your answers have helped in the last two days of purging the garage!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Leather couches? sell to a Kohala house or try to sell here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii