U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,874,308 times

Advertisements

If your dogs have already had 1 rabies shot, you are already part-way there. You want to avoid the actual quarantine if at all possible because the kennel fees are somewhere around $15 to $17 a day, per dog, if I recall this correctly. Get that paperwork process and the next rabies shot done ASAP and get that blood testing sent in. It could, in your case, save you several thousand $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM

62 posts, read 178,184 times
Default Moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
If your dogs have already had 1 rabies shot, you are already part-way there. You want to avoid the actual quarantine if at all possible because the kennel fees are somewhere around $15 to $17 a day, per dog, if I recall this correctly. Get that paperwork process and the next rabies shot done ASAP and get that blood testing sent in. It could, in your case, save you several thousand $.
Thank you for that heads up. Boarding would be covered I think (see my second post), but if I can expedite the process in any way it would be worth it. I've started getting everything together and will call the Quarantine Stn. Monday with my questions. I'm on it!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM

253 posts, read 639,321 times
Quote:
...because the kennel fees are somewhere around $15 to $17 a day, per dog, if I recall this correctly....
Correct. MUCH cheaper to do as much of the quarantine as possible on the mainland!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellepdx View Post
Thank you for that heads up. Boarding would be covered I think (see my second post), but if I can expedite the process in any way it would be worth it. I've started getting everything together and will call the Quarantine Stn. Monday with my questions. I'm on it!
Boarding has to be in one of the approved Dept of Ag quarantine kennels and you have to pay the Dept of Ag fees.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 PM

The "quarantine process" is a misnomer. What you are trying to do is qualify for your pets to have "direct release" or the "2 day or less" program. Your pets are in no way "quarantined" while on the mainland. They simply have to have had the proper shots in the proper time frames and pass a blood titer test and have a microchip, etc.

Those pets can run in the woods all day and night with the rabid squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons and rats until the very day of their flight to Hawaii. There is no "mainland quarantine". The only quarantine your pets endure is if you do not get the proper paperwork and shots done. Essentially, you are doing what you can to avoid a Hawaiian quarantine.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 PM

155 posts, read 333,624 times
Koakine wrote: Do you have a family or friend that could watch your dog while you come to Hawaii? If so you can do the quarantine in their yard and they can send the dog after the time is up.

I completely agree! We moved here. Two months later, I flew home, saw friends, finished my "to do before we move" list, picked up the dog, and brought here to Maui. My mind was completely at rest, knowing she was with my friend for 2 months. I would have been worried sick if she was in a D of Ag kennel.

When I think of how the employees there are so understaffed, they barely have time to answer my questions... I wonder if they really have time to take care of a dog.

You CANNOT ship your dog on Hawaiian Airlines between April 15th to October 15th. See link below. Your pet cannot fly with Hawaiian air in May, June, July, Aug, Sept. It's just too hot. Other airlines, other than Hawaiian, may have similar embargo (no-fly) rules for dogs.

Shipping Live Animals, Pets - Pets Safety & Temperature Restrictions

Lisa ;-)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 PM

253 posts, read 639,321 times
I've recommended this before, but this is one of the best sites for consolidated information about airlines' pet transportation policies, practices, and costs:

Travel with Pets - FlyerTalk Forums

Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 AM

Default Fyi

Quote:
Boarding has to be in one of the approved Dept of Ag quarantine kennels and you have to pay the Dept of Ag fees.
Yikes, everyone! I believe I mentioned that my dogs will not be staying at a Dept of Ag kennel. They will be boarding at my husband's place of work, an approved satellite facility.

From the AQS brochure:

"Animals to be kenneled at private veterinary hospitals or private quarantine facilities are not subject to a daily boarding fee after transport to that facility."

Last edited by annabellepdx; 01-01-2010 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 05:48 AM

Default Good point

You CANNOT ship your dog on Hawaiian Airlines between April 15th to October 15th. See link below. Your pet cannot fly with Hawaiian air in May, June, July, Aug, Sept. It's just too hot. Other airlines, other than Hawaiian, may have similar embargo (no-fly) rules for dogs.

Yes, excellent point Lisa! I noticed that myself, and that's part of why we are looking to do this before the middle of April. There are so many little details, for multiple scenarios.

I may have gotten an answer on my OP, by the way. I hear that the airline ships the dogs along to the satellite station on the neighbor island, and you are not required to stay on Honolulu. You can make your connection and pick them up when they arrive. I will let you all know when I confirm this with the AQS on Monday.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM

683 posts, read 1,789,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa From Maui View Post
Not true. I flew here in mid-May with my dog on Hawaiian from LAX. When I called to make the reservation, they said they do the in&out of LA year-round with pets (morning flight) because it never really gets too hot (airport is out by the water, and the flight leaves at like 8am), but they won't fly pets from, say, Arizona in the summer.

However, Hawaiian has strict size requirements (dog+kennel < 70lb, and my 45 lb dog just squeaked by) and number (one person per pet, and no more than three pets on the plane). So my husband had to bring the two cats on another airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii