Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM

62 posts, read 267,416 times

Advertisements

Hello all - after a few days of scouring these boards and the Hawaii Department of Agriculture FAQ, I'm still unclear about one big detail.

I know that all pets have to come in through Honolulu before continuing on to the next island (we would be releasing our two dogs into the care of a vet for the 120-day quarantine at a satellite facility in Kona). What I'm not understanding is how long that layover takes.

I read on the gov. website that "pets typically spend 2 days in Hololulu." This doesn't mesh at all with what I've been reading on these forums. And if that was the case, do airline personnel put them on the next inter-island flight after they've been cleared or do I? Am I reading this wrong? It seems to me that many posters here have gotten their dogs on an inter-island flight the same day. I remember reading one post where someone advised just staying the night in Honolulu to be safe instead of trying to squeeze it all into one day, so that leaves me even more baffled.

I apologize in advance if this all sounds ridiculous - I've only been doing some preliminary research, and obviously haven't officially started the process. I'm just trying to figure out if it's even feasible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM

432 posts, read 1,202,630 times
Can't help you with some of your questions, but just a thought: if you're only doing preliminary research now, could you go ahead and begin the process so that you can do some or all of the quarantine on the mainland? This could be MUCH less expensive than boarding for the full 120 days in Hawai`i.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:00 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Aloha,
I am in the process of getting my large dog to Hilo this month and there is a number of posters here that have or are in the same process as me.

To answer your question I have to ask you a few also. Have your started the quarantine process yet? when are you coming to Kona? What size dog do you have ? This will bear heavily on how you get your dog from HNL to Kona.
There is a vet/AG release in Kona this is how I am bringing my dog out.

If you start the quarantine process now you can shorten the time the dog has to be kenneled in HNL to as little as 1 hour to do the paper work.
Go on the Hawaii dept of Ag web site I will find this link as soon as I can but I'm packing the house now.

I hope this helps if you need more help just ask or DM me for more

Good luck

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 AM

We are releasing the dogs directly into the 120 day program with a satellite clinic for other reasons, definitely our only option (long story). Hope this doesn't mean the dogs have to have an extended stay in Honolulu. I guess the best way to get an answer is to speak with our vet clinic there and call the Dept of Agriculture myself - I was just trying to cheat This whole process seems so convoluted it's really affecting my decision whether or not to move!

Thanks guys!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
The animal is required to undergo a 120 day quarantine. You can do all of it on Hawaii, part on Hawaii, or all where you are.

The best answer to your question is call Quarantine and ask them the questions Only they can give you the correct answer.

Normally the quarantine on Hawaii is at the Animal Quarantine Station. That means the animal is flown into Honolulu and transported by the state to the facility for the 120 days. But they give you the option of having it done outside their facility at an approved location. If you decide to take that route, outside the normal procedures, you need to expect additional issues.

If the animal will be on the mainland for at least 120 days, the best route is to do the quarantine where you are. But if you need to do the 120 in hawaii and at another island facility, you will need to deal with what is required as far as transporting and payting for those extra procedures. If it's a hassle, think again about not doing it at home or at their facility.

Do Not follow any advice your Vet gives you. Only follow what Hawaii Quarantine tells you. Their instructions are the ONLY instructions and procedures. There are NO short cuts or get arounds. You mess it up and your animal and you will pay the price.

Hawaii's quarantine sounds difficult but its actually very easy if you follow the procedures to the letter and not try to skip any step.

When you read about people doing same day pickup or same day inter-island flights or hanging out with their pets overnight, that is because they have done the direct release and their pet has cleared all quarantine requirments BEFORE they arrived on Hawaii. You are not doing that so none of that applies to you.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM

155 posts, read 544,731 times
FYI anyone: calling Hawaiian airlines reservations is WORTHLESS. It's a call center in the Phillippines. They know nothing. Other airlines might be like that too. Call Hawaiian airlines cargo at Honolulu and call cargo at whatever city you're flying out of. They were super nice. Super helpful Understood the process. Even if you've got a little dog, call cargo. Cargo has all the answers.

Annabelle wrote: This whole process seems so convoluted it's really affecting my decision whether or not to move!

Yes, it is. I made it through ok, got everything done right the first time, but I spent HOURS making phone calls, doing research ahead of time. When I say hours, I mean, l spent 40 hours, spread over a period of three months, making calls, making sure I got the right info.

Me personally, I would NEVER leave my dog in quarantine for 120 days, here in Hawai'i. No way! I would leave her with a friend on the mainland instead. If I couldn't fly back home for a year... if I had a choice, I would prefer a year on the mainland - instead of 120 days in quarantine.

Annabelle, why haven't you started the process yet? ??????????????? Do your dogs have their rabies vaccines?

..... If no, then take them to your vet and give them their shots.
..... If yes, then go get blood drawn, and send it to Kansas.
..... Listen to the other posters, and get started on the process.

Do you understand this part... "Quarantine on the mainland" means after you've drawn their blood, and sent it to Kansas, your dogs are running around in your back yard. Or your friends back yard, running around with their dogs. Or, with you, swimming in the lake, or hiking up the mountains. They don't have to be caged on the mainland, don't have to be inside any type of kennel. Are you clear on that part?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Again don't listen to your vet if they are not used to getting animals ready on a normal basis. I had a vet that screwed up my process, luckily another caught it. Call Hawaii Quarantine they are very nice and helpful for your questions. You can/should be able start your process at this time unless your flying out tomarrow... And finish the process with animals at Kona Sat facility. The sooner you start the less you will spend on kennel costs.

I just met someone who's dog was 5 days short of the 120 days since blood test. There dog is a mastiff. They spent the night in Honolulu and the next day flew out- they arrived later than the 3:30 deadline for arrival at quarantine and their dog fininshed process at Bar-King dog kennel here in Pahoa.

The flights will depend on your quarantine requirements, time of flights,time of your arrival in Honolulu, size of animal.....example if flying luggage animal will be transfered to interisland. Flying cargo you have to move the animal to cargo facilty in cab and your supposed to be checked in 90 minutes before flight. This causes a major shift in the timing of flights.

Again call Quarantine and ask what process you will have to do... you might even be able to fly direct to Kona and go straight to the kennel after vet releases your animal to the Kona quaratine sat kennel.

Good luck!! Again ask any questions you have and we will try to answer due to Koa still in the process and I just got here along with others that still in process or just finished. You can search the threads also ...

Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM

155 posts, read 544,731 times
All times are Hawai'i time.
2 am - dog was put in a crate, given to Hawaiian airlines
4 am - flight left the mainland
10am- flight landed in Honolulu. Airlines took dog directly to Dof Ag

10:30 am - I entered the Dof Ag office
12 noon - Dog and I left the Dof Ag office. I let my dog walk around the top level of the parking terminal.
(not allowed, you didn't hear it from me!)

1 pm - Dog and I went through security
1:20 - I gave dog to Hawaiian airlines, again

2 pm - flight left Honolulu
2:30 - flight arrived on Maui
3 pm - Husband, dog and I arrived home, at our condo
5 pm - my head hit the pillow, and I was gone for the night

Worst travel day of my life. Absolute worst!

2:00 am - Dog couldn't wake us up. Peed in the living room. Huge pee spot.
Never did it before, has never done it since

Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the information - this explains the wide variety of stories I've been seeing. I was fine with them having an uncomfortable long flight straight into Kona (nervous but fine), but now that I learned all pets have to go through Honolulu I'm having second thoughts. I do appreciate the commenter who said that my situation will be different so I will just have to find out through Hawaii Dept of Ag. Luckily we'll have the satellite vet to guide us through this.

And so that I don't sound too sketchy or as if I like to waste vast sums of money, the story is we have a job offer that would require us to start right away (April-ish) and my husband's a vet so the quarantine process at the clinic wouldn't be too bad. Also, having them in a place (for either part or all of the process) I trusted while we found temporary housing might actually be beneficial in the long run, since many ohanas don't take dogs.

I will most likely begin calling and doing the required bloodwork and paperwork this coming week. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Last edited by annabellepdx; 12-31-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,484 times
Do you have a family or friend that could watch your dog while you come to Hawaii? If so you can do the quarantine in their yard and they can sent the dog after the time is up this way you dont have to pay kennel fees and you can trust if your dog is being treated in a kind humane manner ( I'm not saying that the Dept of Ag will mistreat our or any animal ). From my understanding you have to pay a kennel fee in HNL then get your dog to Kona this will add extra cost to your process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii