Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:11 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,535,339 times

Advertisements

Yeh, that kind of thing would only happen in Hawaii.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,197,474 times
True. That absolutely proves that "Hawaii" is "racist."

Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,014,295 times
No it means the state doesn't take it serious and also tries to hide it.

If you ignore it then you don't have a problem, right?.

Bad for tourism don't ya know.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Yeh, that kind of thing would only happen in Hawaii.
Thanks for helping me see the light; considering racism and hate crimes happen elsewhere it makes it ok here...

Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM

820 posts, read 3,023,491 times
A bit off topic, but the definition of a hate crime is when the victim is targeted because of their race, or the criminal is motivated because of a racial bias.

In the case you are citing, even though there were racial slurs used during the attack, the incident was sparked because of the traffic accident. That is, while the attackers may have committed a crime of violence, they would likely have done so if it had been anyone in the other car. They should be charged for the attack, but not for a hate crime. Hate crime would have been if they had gone out hunting for someone - anyone of a particular race, with the intent to hurt them just because they were that race.

The designation of hate crime should be used where appropriate and real, otherwise it gets diluted.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
A bit off topic, but the definition of a hate crime is when the victim is targeted because of their race, or the criminal is motivated because of a racial bias.

In the case you are citing, even though there were racial slurs used during the attack, the incident was sparked because of the traffic accident. That is, while the attackers may have committed a crime of violence, they would likely have done so if it had been anyone in the other car. They should be charged for the attack, but not for a hate crime. Hate crime would have been if they had gone out hunting for someone - anyone of a particular race, with the intent to hurt them just because they were that race.

The designation of hate crime should be used where appropriate and real, otherwise it gets diluted.
Thanks for the clarification; I dislike racism in any form and it pisses me off when people look the other way and/or ignore it.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 44,568 times
Default Big Island

I am a 37 yo German, Irish, Scottish guy as white as you can get. We spent 3 weeks on the Big Island in Septemeber 2009 to decide if it was where we want to live long term. We heard all that same stuff "racist, drugs, blah" all bogus. We did not experience any of it, in fact warm, friendly and respectful is how I would describe it. The only people hard to deal with were the "white people" who had been there for a couple years who think that somehow their early arrival makes them owner of the Hawaiian Islands. I am from California, live in Texas now, scum bags come in all skin tones, heights and genders, that is what I think anyway.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristman View Post
I am a 37 yo German, Irish, Scottish guy as white as you can get. We spent 3 weeks on the Big Island in Septemeber 2009 to decide if it was where we want to live long term. We heard all that same stuff "racist, drugs, blah" all bogus. We did not experience any of it, in fact warm, friendly and respectful is how I would describe it. The only people hard to deal with were the "white people" who had been there for a couple years who think that somehow their early arrival makes them owner of the Hawaiian Islands. I am from California, live in Texas now, scum bags come in all skin tones, heights and genders, that is what I think anyway.
Aloha and welcome to the forum,

You are so right about the scumbags. I have been to Hawaii to many time to count in fact I will be living in Hilo very soon. so soon that I am late living there now lol . The only friction I have ever received was from the "white people".
So what was your decision ?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM

16 posts, read 44,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha and welcome to the forum,

You are so right about the scumbags. I have been to Hawaii to many time to count in fact I will be living in Hilo very soon. so soon that I am late living there now lol . The only friction I have ever received was from the "white people".
So what was your decision ?
Thanks for asking we are in the process of selling the ranch and shooting for April to be on the Big Island.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM

292 posts, read 945,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristman View Post
Thanks for asking we are in the process of selling the ranch and shooting for April to be on the Big Island.
Good vibes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii