Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM

109 posts, read 408,668 times

Advertisements

Military family with possible orders to Hickan Air Force Base. We just purchased a 5th wheel and a diesel F350. I know I will need to store the RV but will the diesel F350 be an OK second vehicle? Can you find diesel fuel on the island? It's also a long bed I'm sure parking will be a nightmare.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:16 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,574,192 times
Aloha,
All I know is that if your not going to use the truck for why you purchased it or as a work truck it will just sit. Fuel will kill you parking as you said any where will be almost impossible. then there is te shipping cost on somthing you wont use. The last point is did you buy it in this calander year from when you will register it in Hawaii? If so then you will pay Hawaii state sales tax on it.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,607,758 times
Fuel cost for diesel is between $3.50 on the lucky low end to $4.50 on the high end, with average around $3.30. What is it where you are now? Those Super-Duty pickups are nice on the mainland but a horrid pickup on Hawaii. Unless you need something that big for its true heavy haul use, it's like owning a Hummer in Italy.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,457,444 times
Very big truck for a crowded city. It would be just fine on the Big Island. Lots more room and everyone and their brother already has either the Ford, Chevy or Dodge equivalent. Of course, you would have to put some quick dents in it and get the paint faded in spots to fit in....

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

155 posts, read 542,986 times
Knowing that you're military, and you'll move every 3 years, and you're not 100% sure where you will move, why did you JUST purchase a 5th wheel and a diesel F350? What were your reasons?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,015,281 times
The military will pay to ship the vehicle and he can retain the tags/registation from his home state if he wishes. He'll just have to get a Hawaii inspection and sticker.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Lisa from Maui....that is a loaded question. Why? We love camping and have always owned an RV in our military career. We traded in our travel trailer and expedition for a 5th wheel and F350. We are almost at retirement (30 years) and didn't really think about another over seas assignment. I guess we just thought about state side tours. OUCH! We will have the Hickam tour and then one other before retirement. Yes, we are kicking our butts....water under the bridge, now I need to fix the problem. I don't think I will have to pay sales tax again.....purchased in Sept. 09 moving June or July .
Paying about $2.85 to $3.00 in California right now. Bought the F350 used...I'm sure I would lose some money if I resold, but the 5th wheel is a 2009 (no payments) and will be stored for three years.
Thinking to myself ....maybe with orders in hand...walk back to the Ford dealership and see what they will do. This is farming country and I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for a F350.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,574,192 times
Sense you like to camp and see the country do you have a place to store the set where you are this way you can still camp on the mainland whenever you can no double tax cheaper gas ... just a thought....

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM

I can store the 5th wheel outside where it is right now....I will have to pay someone to clean and wax the roof once a year. The truck is a different story. I don't think it's a good idea to store a truck for three years without running it. I'm also going to call several places that store inside...I'm sure that will be more $$.

If we sell the truck, just have to buy another one once we return. Can't pull it without the truck. Maybe, I should think of them as a unit or set.

Yep, so glad we kept the "old tent" and sleeping bags. We will bring all the camping stuff with us...minus the double axles and rubber roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii