Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,707 times

Advertisements

Mogon makes another execllent point. In Hawaii if you are not a full time resident you will require a property manager. They usually take 10% of the gross rental income. Lots to think about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,659,149 times
that's not completely true. If you just own one property, like we do, then you are not required to have a property manager on the island.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,222 times
A Hawai`i real estate attorney told us otherwise.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,301,691 times
(f) Any owner or landlord who resides without the State or on another island from where the rental unit is located shall designate on the written rental agreement an agent residing on the same island where the unit is located to act in the owner's or landlord's behalf. In the case of an oral rental agreement, the information shall be supplied to the tenant, on demand, in a written statement.

Source: Part IV. Landlord Obligations: Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs

However, if the agent is representing only ONE landlord as a "custodian or caretaker," the agent does not have to be a licensed property manager.

Regardless, the Landlord-Tenant Code applies.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:30 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,659,149 times
Our house is a vacation rental, so we have no written rental agreement. We do all of our rentals through vrbo, but obviously have a housekeeper on-island who lets us know if something needs to be fixed.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:47 AM

287 posts, read 1,371,707 times
Dreamin'... You should look into this... Better be safe than sorry. All you need is one complaint to be fined, no matter how many units you have.

VanHa

Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 PM

68 posts, read 245,119 times
Aloha again all. Wow thanks for all of the advice. Weve got a lot to consider. I (myself) would love to have a small house with just enough land to grow some plants. I actually have Loulu palms, Hala and tree ferns here in Michigan. I have grown Hawaiian Tree Ferns (Hapu'u) before, but have had a couple Tasmanian Tree Ferns for the last 5 years now. But as was noted by several people, keeping up a faraway house vacant over half the time would be a lot of work.
Im not sure about renting either because if we find a place we really liked and get to know some people there, I would want to be sure we could come back there every year.
So right now Im thinking maybe something like a small condo. The outside would be taken care of, and the Condo Assn would keep an eye on the place and might even handle renting it out when we arent there.
My wife is not real enthusiastic about the idea right now but is willing to try it out. I think that it will help with her being Filipino, when we visited there before, the local Filipinos accepted her like one of the family. As for location I would have thought she would have liked Honolulu best (shopping) but she actually liked Kauai. She hasnt seen Maui yet. Right now Im thinking either Kauai or the Hamakua coast area of the Big Island. I just thought Honokaa was a really cool little town. Being near a beach would be nice but not mandatory. I like doing some swimming and snorkeling but my wife (and most of her Filipino friends dont swim. And they grew up on islands...! So thanks again for your advice and opinions and if you think of anything else that might help, Id appreciate hearing from you. Hopefully we might even get to meet some of you in Hawai'i one day. Mahalo & malama pono!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
The majority of people on Kauai are Filipino or mixed Filipino so that would probably work best for her. I'm not sure of the population on the BI here you are interested.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,081 times
I would suggest you rent for sure either in Poipu or Princeville areas. If you find a good long term rental oceanfront - let me know, as I'm interested in this option for 3 months per year. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
Rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii