Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 19,431 times

Advertisements

I'd like to share, too.

What made you decide to move to Hawaii?
My husband and I were looking for a new place to call home for years after we got married, we wanted to move away from the small town that we grew up in. We actually vacationed in Honolulu, with absolutely no intention of moving to Hawaii, but then we fell in love. Months after the vacation glow dimmed, we started recalling everything we loved about the Island of Oahu, and couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't be a great place to live. It was 2005.

What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)?
So we started planning, and within three months, we either gave away or sold pretty much everything except for our SUV, some kitchen gadgets, tools, electronics, and of course the sentimental items. All of the things that we couldn't live without fit into just eight boxes, all meeting the USPS standard, and six suitcases. We didn't have any kids, or pets, so being responsible for just the two of us was simple. We spent $1000 to ship the vehicle, $600 to ship our boxes (only one insured), and had $3000 in the bank to our name to survive.

Did you have a job already when you moved?
We were so excited about getting to Hawaii, that we didn't believe we would need to secure jobs or even an apartment before we left the mainland. Again, that was 2005, a little bit safer to take such a huge risk than these days, and boy were we lucky with what we did find. We drove all night from Northern Nevada to Long Beach, with just enough time to arrive at the post office and part with the only things to our name, drop our vehicle at the port to find that we had a quarter tank of gas more than allowed, spent an hour wasting it (first time for everything), and then checked into our flight with 20 minutes to spare before takeoff.

My husband was lucky because of his trade, and with his skills and experience, he was offered a job on the second day of our arrival, and started later that week. I was not so fortunate, because although being in the Customer Service Industry for ten years, not having any other skills like, speaking fluent Japanese, made me a less desirable candidate. It was frustrating and took me two months to find something to do to help support our new life. After about six months of pursuing my happiness, I was offered an outstanding administration position with a great company. During that time, I was fortunate to learn about other cultures, and a little language, which I am so grateful for, even today.

Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost?
Immediately after my husband accepted his job, we decided the smartest thing to do would to be to secure an apartment close by, right away. That was not easy at all. We did a lot of walking that day, and the next, in hopes to find a rental agency that had something available. We learned that a young couple wandering around saying "we just moved here, we're looking for an apartment!" is a pretty scary statement to landlords. It doesn't represent much in the way of being a long term tenant, and what rental experience can you really show to someone, especially after you told them "yup, bought a one way ticket, want to live here, just got a job!" We again got lucky with the last visit, the landlord had just one rental available. A studio, for a $650 deposit, $650 per month, and in Kailua. No air-conditioning, and was just large enough to fit a king size bed (as we found one at an Estate Sale for $75, we just couldn't beat that), a desk, a table with two chairs, and a bookcase. I actually loved the bathroom, it was huge (partially due to the fact that it only had a 2 foot squared shower), but the best part was the huge built-in dresser along the wall opposite the water wall. We later found out that the neighborhood was commonly referred to as "druggie heaven". The only advice I can offer if you land a similar unit is to just mind your own business, and be respectful. It worked for us, and we made friends quickly. Once our vehicle arrived, we still had the Nevada plates, and they called us "Vegas". We did have to explain that we lived in a small town 400 miles north of Las Vegas, but that was great conversations all by itself.

What was your anxiety level like when you moved here?
My husband didn't seem to show much anxiety during the move, but I felt it just as we were about 50 miles away from our little hometown. I cried, thinking "Am I making the right decision?" I would say that overall, the anxiety level was a 7 on a scale of 10, until we bought our first fan for the apartment. Then I realized, “I'm in paradise, I am alive and well, I have the love of my life to share this with, and I better make the best of it”.

Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy?
Right away, in our apartment, we realized, (because of the lack of air-conditioning), that the temperature drop in Hawaii isn't much like that in the Nevada desert. In Nevada, it can drop 50 degrees even in the summer, but in Hawaii, really only about 10 degrees.

The one thing we weren’t used to was geckos and cockroaches. They’re just tropical bugs who are under the impression that it's survival of the toughest, and whoever doesn't run out of the room screaming - wins the room!

The plate lunches quickly became our favorite difference between our small hometown and our new home. Especially considering the price. In smalltown Nevada, you just can't get a plate of shrimp or steak for less than $7. And hardly anything in Nevada was served with rice and that addicting mac-salad.

The culture is the best part. The attitude alone is better than any you will find on the mainland, and you can't help but feel appreciative of everyone.

When did you start making friends?
We made a few friends in our neighborhood, but work friends were great to have, after a few months of working together.

Did you move from your first place?
We had a hard time leaving that little studio, only stayed there for a year, but felt it was the best decision when we accepted jobs in Kaimuki, and were fortunate to find a one bedroom apartment just a mile away from work, and a mile from the beach! It sure beat the hour and 45 minutes of traffic from Waikiki to Kailua every night. It was great because we had more space, but we never could decide how to furnish it, so we had a big foyer, with a bedroom, and a smaller bathroom. The bedroom closet replaced the bathroom dresser which was great, but our king bed grew into a wall to wall bed, with a closet on the side. Not much space at all. That apartment was $975 per month, but the location was great not only because of the walking distance to everything, but the quiet area it was in, and right across from a park.

We eventually moved out of the one bedroom apartment, because we had an opportunity to move into a two bedroom unit in the same complex, for only $1250 per month. We felt settled at that point, we started buying furniture, a television (and bonus - the apartment came with cable), and really felt at home. Time flew by, and we were happy.

Unfortunately, we lost a family member, and when "visiting" the mainland for the services, realized that we wanted to spend more time closer to family. We ended up doing that crazy move again, back to Nevada, after only a two year stay in paradise.

Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking?
My husband stayed in his first job for 8 months, before accepting the new job in Kaimuki. I stayed in my first job for only a month before I decided I didn't belong in retail, and accepted the admin job.

How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.?
The first three months were the hardest, and we spoke to family and old friends at least once a week. Usually on our day off while relaxing on the beach. It wasn't to torment them, it just happened that way, especially because of the time difference. They couldn't stop asking when we'd be moving back, and we later found out that they all had a bet going as to how long we'd stay away.

It took about two months to fully acclimate to the humidity, and probably about a month to learn our way around, and explore new areas.

The time flew by, even though at times it felt as if it stood still. I remember thinking, “ok, it's going to start getting cold and it should snow soon”. Then I remembered that it may snow in Hawaii, but not necessarily land in our yard.

Our first spring, during the first three months of our arrival, we witnessed 40 days and nights of rain. Our neighbors and friends assured us that it wasn't normal, and that we shouldn't fear that it would happen all the time. We assured them that we loved rain a whole lot more than snow, and appreciate the coolness that it seems to bring. The 40 days and nights of rain caused quite a bit of flooding in Kailua, and other areas around Oahu, but because our little studio was on the ground floor we made amends with the weather by thanking God for the opportunity to have beachfront property, even if only for a few days.

In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again?
Now in 2011, I look back and see just how fortunate we were in our decision to take such a huge risk. It turned out to be an excellent decision, and I am grateful for every moment that we spent in Hawaii.

We are now considering moving back, and because we have learned a few things, believe that we can better prepare ourselves this time. We've learned a little more Japanese, and plan to continue our education. We still have our SUV, and no kids, but we have a dog. We'll have to follow other guidelines for moving a dog to Hawaii, and we completely understand the importance of arranging an apartment (pet-friendly) beforehand. We have learned that we need to be quite a bit more prepared for our move, especially financially. I would still give everything away, and do it all again, just this time, I'd like to secure a job similar to the one I left, and maybe even the same apartment complex, if it's pet friendly.

For those planning to do the same thing, I highly recommend it, but just learn as much as you can before you go, and please don't listen to the comments you may hear such as "Well, if you fail at this, you can always live on the beach!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 19,431 times
Thank you for this thread.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 PM

119 posts, read 376,795 times
What made you decide to move to Hawaii?
My husband's job, I had the choice to stay in Miami with the kid and husband moves here alone, like he always did when temporarily assigned in different states, flies home every few weeks or so. But, the travel is way too expensive to Hawaii so we came with him.

What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)?
Everything, all the furniture, our only car, and even our toddler, ha!

Did you have a job already when you moved?
No, not looking.

Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost?
Highrise downtown Honolulu, 2 bedroom, 900sqf, $3k/mo

What was your anxiety level like when you moved here?
My friends and family were more excited that I was, they would have a place to stay and reason to visit. As for me I am more worried if we can keep the same standard of living. We must down size our living space, less eating out, less shopping, less childcare hours, less air conditioner use. It's not so easy but manageable.

Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy?
good food! Exotic food, not westernized. I love eating authentic food.

When did you start making friends?
I still don't make new friends per se, however we have quite a bit of acquaintances to sometimes go out with.

Did you move from your first place?
No, but we live here for only 6 months.

In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again?
Yes it was a good decision to come with my husband but no I won't do it again if we can help it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,647 times
Hello, there. I'm definitely gratefully for those who have shared their experiences. You see, I'm contemplating moving to Hawaii from Northern New Jersey to enroll in BYU-Hawaii over in Lale. I live in the suburbs within thirty minutes of New York; there's a train station in the town I'm residing in thus we're a fusion of town/city.

I find myself weary about moving to Hawaii due to the expensive plane ticket and the concerns brought up earlier: expensive living costs (gas/parking space/milk), limited resources (low selection on the island + expensive shipping to order online), and the fact I know little to nothing about the state.

I'm doing my best to research as much as I can before making a decision to enroll to the campus on Hawaii or the one in Idaho.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodri56 View Post
Hello, there. I'm definitely gratefully for those who have shared their experiences. You see, I'm contemplating moving to Hawaii from Northern New Jersey to enroll in BYU-Hawaii over in Lale.
Aloha and welcome to the forum. A couple of suggestions...

1) Read the second Sticky Thread post #2 at the top of the page in its entirety, and use the Search function to pull up previous posts on areas you want more detailed info about. All the general questions have been asked 100s of times already, so the archives are a treasure trove of valuable info.

2) Once you have done your homework and want to ask more specific questions, start a new thread. This thread is for people to post stories about their moving experiences.

3) Posting in the default black color type will get you the best response because it is the most readable.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 19,109 times
Talking Haven't moved yet. Some Pre-Move Notions to be updated after I move.

What made you decide to move to Hawaii

I want to live and explore the island, meet new people and perhaps even find true love on the island of Oahu while I am sill young enough and single enough to do so!

What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)

I will be shipping my car and a few other things. Importantly, I work as a DJ/KJ so i will be shipping my gear over as well. for the most part it will be my car, My clothes, a laptop and some gear.

Did you have a job already when you moved

I work as a Karaoke DJ and I hope to come to the island to start making money and even a name for myself. I know I have to compete with the market and the blasted karaoke machines that run them selves, but I have the one thing they lack, A personality!

Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost

I live in Nor Cal and I know that the price of just about everything will be about 25% more in Oahu. Thats ok! I live simple. I am a minimalist!

What was your anxiety level like when you moved here

I have huge anxiety and I am hoping to talk to a few people on this site about what to do and how to make things easier in the transition from Main land to paradise!

Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy

I visited Oahu in August of last year and the one thing that stuck out to me was the locals and how friendly they were. I was under the impression that they hated outsiders/tourists, and perhaps they do. But I bonded with them right away. And local strangers were SUPER NICE, especially in Kapolei.

When did you start making friends

Cant wait to do this!

Did you move from your first place

I pan on renting a small condo/room to keep it cheap before I start to find my nitch. Once I find employment, i hope t move into a comfortable 2 bedroom house in Kapolei or a similar area.

Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking

I'm sure I will be looking for a while...

How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.

I am sure I will miss the friends at home. i will visit a few times a year and have them come to see me. But the time away is going to be hard I think!

retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again

With my circumstance, i feel it is the only decision I have. I need to be where the water is war, the people wear shorts year round, and palm trees blow in the warm winter breeze.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 19,109 times
If there are any singles, couples, small families or Students 18 to 35 year olds moving to Oahu, Please reply to this post and let me know. I am Looking for connections, room mates, etc for my move. i want to network and hook up with cool peeps looking to experience the same things I am and perhaps help out and be helped! Thanks!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_idol View Post
If there are any singles, couples, small families or Students 18 to 35 year olds moving to Oahu, Please reply to this post and let me know.
No, please do not. Start a new thread if you want people to respond to you. The topic for this thread is for people to share the specific information asked for after they have moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_idol View Post
I am Looking for connections, room mates, etc for my move. i want to network and hook up with cool peeps looking to experience the same things I am and perhaps help out and be helped! Thanks!
That's fine, but posting off topic is not the way to do it. When you look at the list of threads, at the top left is a button labeled "New Thread." Use that to start a new thread for YOUR topic.

Mahalo

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,413 times
I love this thread. The other websites can explain some things, but hearing it first had is great. It would also be interesting to hear how every decided on the particular island.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 20,005 times
My husband and I have been in O'ahu a year now. We moved from a small town in Southern Oregon. Our feedback is below.

1. What made you decide to move to Hawaii- We were working like crazy and not really getting anywhere with the bad economy ( we are in construction and worked for ourselves) After losing a family member at the tender age of 65 we both felt that working toward retirement and then not being able to enjoy life was not the way to go. We had been to Hawaii on vacation, we love to scuba, we both ride motorcycles an it just seemed to be a place we might get the most out of everyday living.
  2. What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, dog)- We checked into prices of all the moving and felt it best to downsize BIGTIME before we moved. We shipped the motorcycles, 10 boxes 2 scuba suitcases and tanks, along with some tools of the trade. No children as they are grown now and no pets anymore. This is freedom time for us- go where we want, when we want to go.
  3. Did you have a job already when you moved- Part of the actual decision to move was to secure a decent job. We spent 5 weeks applying for jobs and when he secured an interview he gladly flew over for the interview. When h landed the job that sealed the deal for us and the timeline for the move was set. Interview was 2/8, move date set at 4/26
  4. Where was the first place you lived in...how much did it cost-We stayed in a vacation rental downtown for 10 days. We had a list of inexpensive Jeeps in hand from craigslist and hit them right away so we could get rid of the rental. Once we had a rig, we moved on to the list of available rentals. Within 4 days we had found our place. It is about 12 miles north of Kaneohe, technically the North Shore. But for us it is just country and so near the beautiful beach....we had to be here. We have a one bedroom in a small complex of Ohana units. About 750 square feet is 1485.00 including utilities.
  5. What was your anxiety level like when you moved here-I think the hardest part was actually getting ready for the move. We downsized alot ....sold so much....he is still amazed at the things I just decided I didn't need. Once that part was done, the actual move was not hard. We work well together and can handle just about anything. It was more of an adventure.
  6. Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy- Everything in Hawaii is different. People drive differently. You drive slower, you don't get all stressed out when someone wants to go around you. Dealing with any government office is a trip. The process of registering a vehicle, getting inspection, getting drivers license, applying for unemployment, building permits and inspections- just to name a few- are all extremely different and you have to really wrap yourself around that. You cannot fix it....they do not feel it is broke. You just learn to go with it. You might think that fruits and veggies will cost less because they all can grow so easily- wrong. A bell pepper 7.99 a pound! Stuff is different for sure! The longer you are here the more you find the tricks.
  7. When did you start making friends-About one minute into being here. Everyone is wonderful. You might here about locals that do not like mainland people. I have not found that. You may feel a little from a distance ( in the car or in a large crowd) but if you meet those same people while you are at your neighbors house or in the store, they will invite you to their home. We have great friends here!
  8. Did you move from your first place-We have been in Kaaawa for a year now and have decided to try living downtown for a year. We have always been country people and do not love noise and crowds. But with all the other changes that we have made we feel that we owe it to ourselves to try it.- Plus the hour drive each way gets to us, it just makes the day so long sometimes. It is actually pretty quiet when you are up in a nice building. We are looking now in China town as well as Waikiki and along the Ala Wai. Something with a pool and a gym-- what a treat to walk out the door and look for activities and shopping....we shall see how that turns out.
  9. Did you stay in your first job...or are you still looking-No. Jobs are different here as well. The first job he had did not work out prett quickly. They told him he would have full time work and then only gave him about 20 hours a week. After three weeks he started looking elsewhere and when he took other work to fill in, they fired him. We feel that whatever is meant to be, will be and he has found a good place to work that does quality work and treats him well. I had a job in a construction office to, but got laid off in January- I do have several prospects currently in the works. No worries
  10. How did you manage the first 3 months...being away from old friends etc.- We are so lucky to be here now. Between Facebook and Skype I do not miss much. I miss my children and Mom- but I really love Skype for that, you not only hear them but see them and it fills the void. We are celebrities among our friends. Oh wow how cool- you live in Hawaii???
  11. In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again- YES. YES. Do not wait until you are too old to enjoy the lifestyle you want. Do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii