Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM

292 posts, read 948,780 times

Advertisements

I was just told my house I haven't closed on yet on Kauai was found to have dry wood termites, not "subterranean termites." The sellers now have to pay for "tenting" which is then guaranteed for 5 years. Does anybody know anything about this? Should I be worrying about chemicals? I'm not too concerned, tell me if I should be? I should add that the very meticulous house inspector found no evidence of termite damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Termites and ants are common here. As long as there is no damage to the house I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you sure about your home inspector? Many have no qualifications and or take bribes from sellers. Not trying to be negative but it happens, I've seen it.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Termites and ants are common here. As long as there is no damage to the house I wouldn't worry about it.

Are you sure about your home inspector? Many have no qualifications and or take bribes from sellers. Not trying to be negative but it happens, I've seen it.
This inspector was relentless. I have never seen such a report in all my born days. You could never get such a thorough inspection in NY if you tried. It consisted of 20 pages with photographs. My REA told me that sellers don't like this particular bunch and they are nicknamed the "deal breakers." The sellers were not happy with a lot of what she mentioned, a lot was cosmetic, but some was not and that stuff has to be corrected prior to closing. Nothing about insect damage.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Don't cut them slack on anything; have them correct everything versus $ allowance.

I'm sure you're on top of things; just making sure you don't do some of the things I did.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Most houses here should be tented about every 5 or 6 years depending on it's age, construction and history. What you're seeing on that report is very common.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
In Wahington state my ex and I had a Pest control business. I dont know much as I did the books vrs doing the spraying, ask me about carpenter ants I can give you low down. Didn't have many termit issues. However to my knowledge( in WA) Dry wood termits which we had don't cause any issue to house. They only want dead trees. They mate (in WA) mid to late summer and the males are a pest flying around. They do not (in WA) cause any type of damage to house structure. The sub do. Very little of it in WA.

If I bought a house in Hawaii I would make it a requirement to have the house tented before a contract done. I am a all green don't use chemicals when can not too. We were even that way with the Pest control business. But in Hawaii I would never consider a contract to buy without tenting. Your inspector sounds like he is giving you Aloha and everything is gonna be great for you when you move in. It will stop any Sub termites from enterting the house also.

once you move in watch for any frase - termite dust of saw dust. Once they are in they are in by thousands. This is a good thing and your dogs will do fine with it, stay away for a couple of days would be my opinion. Not needed by manufacturer but I found if I came in reall early - like soon than recommended I did get a reaction. Locals say 5-6 years for tenting I would tend of the every 2-3 year but don't know. Family says 5-6 depending on property also.

Don't get freaked out about that - it is a good thing they pay!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks guys..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii