Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 353,801 times

Advertisements

Island fever is not logical is psychological. While it's true most people don't go more than an hour from their residence the fact that your "locked" into an island is the trick that's played on the mind.

I don't think there is a way to test if your at risk for island fever other than to experience the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:08 AM

155 posts, read 543,103 times
Sweetbeet wrote: People are all 'gung ho' when you first move ... many will talk about it but never actually make it out here.

Yep. Same with us. All talk. No cash. No action. My friends on the mainland are just happy to pay their mortgage.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 AM

155 posts, read 543,103 times
How many of the people who are posting “Island Fever is all in your mind... It’s no big deal.... Even if you live in a big city, how far do you really drive in a year? Etc. "

How many of you have actually lived on an island for more than two years?
How many of you are actually speaking from experience?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:41 PM

119 posts, read 375,597 times
My concern is not if I get visitors once I'm in Hawaii or getting familiar products from the mainland, I couldn't care less about that, it is more whether *I* can afford to get out!

Right now it's possible for us to travel back to Germany once a year and drive out of town/state every other month. Flight to Europe from FL is in the 600s where from HI is exactly double if not more, and that times 3 for the whole family.

From other threads in this forum I've learned that most people moving to Hawaii had to lower their standards because of the high cost of living. According to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowedto keep the same lifestyle we have to make at least 30% more ... yeah, we don't have that. The job market is not making it easy to be picky.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 20,495 times
Since Ive never lived anywhere else but here in Hawaii, does wanting to experience moving, living in another state count as possibly having that *boxed in* feeling?
Born and raised here, and living on Oahu, still in this same ole house for the past 42 years, haha old lady me!, well, I've been getting that itchy feet syndrome for the last 4 maybe 5 years now. No, I'm not tired of here, I just wanna experience how the other folks live in other places. Also, since having year round good weather, I might be delusional in thinking it might be an interesting experience with the seasonal changes,,Of course you know, I will Not shovel snow, or live anywhere that gets hotter and more humid than here..haha that doesn't leave many places now does it?!..hehe.
But this boxed in thing..nah..I'm so accustomed to having every possible everything so nearby to where I live, dang!, I could actually Walk to these places, should that Idea really make any real sense to do?!Shoot!,driving past Aiea Stadium eastbound, or past Waipahu westbound is to me..wayyy too far to drive! lol If I do go past these boundaries is considered an all day day trip!
My husband is from Idaho, hes done all his state by state traveling, and said,,Hes DONE!, hes here to STAY!, He doesn't miss the snow, the extreme heat in summers, only his family, but even thats not enough for him to go back Hes also made the offers and such to his family to come on over and visit, but we both know, they're not gonna come. its to expensive, and some folks don't like to fly!..So what'cha gonna do right?, except go visit them!
So anyways, thats my take on this *boxed in* thing. Unless you like long drives, and empty spaces from state to state, well then I suppose Hawaii is not the place for you. Heck! My older sister is in Oklahoma most of her life,she left here over 30 years now, she can't see herself back here, and my younger sister having lived in Chicago since she was 16 and moved to Denver after she had her kids, then to California..shes been back for 4 years now and can't wait to leave for the mainland after her daughter grads this summer!, they both love the freedom for being able to drive and vacation in other states rather than being here, besides its too expensive for them after getting so used too to how the cost of living there is a lot easier than here! As for me?, well, Hawaii will ALWAYS BE HOME to me no matter if I do make that drastic first time move to the mainland. Family is always with you, inside if theres any better place. Peace.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM

734 posts, read 2,046,732 times
It's a box, and that can be annoying, but it's a really nice box, as far as boxes go.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
I live in the box that they call Western New York Id rather live in a better box! Oh wait I will
As a former resident of western ny, i can agree that it's not a very happy box

but on the whole subject of this thread, honestly the islands are a lot larger than a lot of people realize. it takes over 2 hours to drive from one side of the big island to the other going the shortest route... it's really a pretty big place, the other islands while not quite as big, are still pretty vast

Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM

I read on wikipedia that the rush hour is between 6-8am and 4-7pm, so what's the reality? Is it really clear from 8am to 4pm? And how bad is bad traffic, is it the same like Chicago, Miami or other big cities in the mainland, how long you need to drive 20mi within rush hour in Oahu? I couldn't find specific thread regarding traffic.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM

734 posts, read 2,046,732 times
Leaving at 6:30 from Mililani, it takes me about 45 minutes to get the Ala Moana Center- a little past downtown but not quite to Waikiki. About the same amount coming back at 3:45.

I wouldn't say it's bad as Chicago's, where I grew up, no. And during midday it is pretty much wide open except for H-1 right near downtown.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Leaving at 6:30 from Mililani, it takes me about 45 minutes to get the Ala Moana Center- a little past downtown but not quite to Waikiki. About the same amount coming back at 3:45.

I wouldn't say it's bad as Chicago's, where I grew up, no. And during midday it is pretty much wide open except for H-1 right near downtown.
thanks ... I just want to make sure, you're saying that Chicago is worst, correct? That will be a good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii