Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 PM

47 posts, read 52,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
^^^^^

Glenn Miyashiro - Frank DeLima - YouTube

The point is no one is safe, we make fun of each others races, we are even brutal to eachother and our own races. The point being yes there is racism, but its a minority thats going to dump garbage on your lawn. If you come to Hawai'i thinking like a mainlander with a politically correct mindset and look for racism, your going to find it. Even in a 70+ year old hawai'ian tutu who has lost all her lands and in anger and grief uses the word haole or whites, the issue she uses those words was more inportant then the fact she lost everything and has nothing.

There is also alot of reverse racism haole(foriegner) on others.

Some times the differences in Hawai'i is to much to overcome. If you have no ability to adapt and be flexable you won't make it. Its like the song say its a miracle we can live together. Theres a reason for that.
This whole Hawaii racism "thing" reminds me of a bunch of in-bred mountain men - aka Deliverance or, Haffields and McCoys.

They need to GET OVER IT!!!!

If you perceive yourself as a "loser", don't blame the winners, BECOME a winner!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Following Seas View Post
This whole Hawaii racism "thing" reminds me of a bunch of in-bred mountain men - aka Deliverance or, Haffields and McCoys.

They need to GET OVER IT!!!!

If you perceive yourself as a "loser", don't blame the winners, BECOME a winner!
So which one are you? Hatfield or McCoy?

Gee is that all you have to say? Wow 11 pieces of Hawai'i masters comedy and not even a crack of a smile? Gee talk about Mainlander!

So when are you going to move?

Also your quote: "If you perceive yourself as a "loser", don't blame the winners, BECOME a winner!" end quote:

Uhmmm, you do know how disturbing what you said is right? 'Don't blame the winners, become a winner!" I guess you don't know how alot of people become winners! If im missunderstanding your post then i apologise before hand.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-06-2014 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 PM

47 posts, read 52,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So which one are you? Hatfield or McCoy?

Gee is that all you have to say? Wow 11 pieces of Hawai'i masters comedy and not even a crack of a smile? Gee talk about Mainlander!

So when are you going to move?

Also your quote: "If you perceive yourself as a "loser", don't blame the winners, BECOME a winner!" end quote:

Uhmmm, you do know how disturbing what you said is right? 'Don't blame the winners, become a winner!" I guess you don't know how alot of people become winners! If im missunderstanding your post then i apologise before hand.
I Apology accepted.

Last edited by Following Seas; 03-06-2014 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Your reasoning makes sense. I guess the same comments can be made for any "touristy" place in the world... the "vacation image" of the locale versus the "reality" of the locale.

But I guess the difference is that most people expect, say Manhattan, to be uber-expensive and congested, etc... but probably don't expect Hawaii to be as expensive, boring, or "non-ideal".

I just find it annoying that people complain and gripe about a place...and tell us about how unhappy it makes them to live there... but continue to live there for some unknown reasons.

Thanks!
Mod cut: personal attack

We're here because we can't afford to leave. Do you even know how much an adult life costs, let alone an overseas move? In my case, it will be about 20 years before I save enough for a plane ticket, let alone an apartment deposit or anything else, and I work 60-80 hours a week. Before you arrogantly judge those who aren't lucky enough to be in your spoiled shoes, do a little research. Salaries are so low in Hawai'i that most people have little or no options, and racial discrimination puts some of our pay even lower.

Mod cut: personal attack / assumptions

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-16-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 AM

@longtobegone

Howzit sistah? Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i.

Question? Since your working so much do you ever get time to enjoy Hawai'i?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtobegone View Post
Mod cut: personal attack

We're here because we can't afford to leave. Do you even know how much an adult life costs, let alone an overseas move? In my case, it will be about 20 years before I save enough for a plane ticket, let alone an apartment deposit or anything else, and I work 60-80 hours a week. Before you arrogantly judge those who aren't lucky enough to be in your spoiled shoes, do a little research. Salaries are so low in Hawai'i that most people have little or no options, and racial discrimination puts some of our pay even lower.

Mod cut: personal attack / assumptions
Longtobegone, I'm just wondering about what kinds of jobs you have where you have to work 60-80 hours per week and can't save up enough for a plane ticket. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think that your experiences here should be a good real-life wake up call for all of those dreamers who think that just because they have a good work ethic they should be able to do okay once they move to Hawaii.

How long ago did you move to Hawaii, or were you born here?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,094 times
I was lucky when i retired from the Navy. I found a job at the Pearl Harbor Naval Ship Yard. Otherwise i would have had to move back to Washington State, my hometown. My wife is from here so that is the big reason i stayed. I do know i cannot afford to retire here on Oahu, too expensive and cannot afford to buy my retirement home. So i am planning to buy a head of time and move when I retire for the last time, another five years to go.
Scott

Old 03-26-2014, 04:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Reading these posts it makes me wonder why Hawaii is even a part of the USA. Anywhere else racism or racial violence would be prosecuted and frowned upon by a vast percentage of the population. Even over here on the East Coast we heard the story fo the military family in a car accident in Hawaii and beaten senseless by a father and son of Hawaiian ancestry. No prosecution of the criminals at all.

But I too have heard horror stories of whites visiting or living in Hawaii and being abused by native Hawaiians. Maybe it is time to let Hawaii go on its own way. Apparently they don't want to be part of the USA, and aren't very patriotic. Why bother staying part of the country.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Reading these posts it makes me wonder why Hawaii is even a part of the USA. Anywhere else racism or racial violence would be prosecuted and frowned upon by a vast percentage of the population. Even over here on the East Coast we heard the story fo the military family in a car accident in Hawaii and beaten senseless by a father and son of Hawaiian ancestry. No prosecution of the criminals at all.

But I too have heard horror stories of whites visiting or living in Hawaii and being abused by native Hawaiians. Maybe it is time to let Hawaii go on its own way. Apparently they don't want to be part of the USA, and aren't very patriotic. Why bother staying part of the country.
I've heard of bigfoot, the lock ness monster, the boogie man, tooth fairy, etc...and yet that doesn't mean I believe it.

Besides this forum where it is really common - and that poster doesn't even live here, I'm still waiting on my first racial attack/experience.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

No offence, but your post appears to be a response from someone who isn't educated on the issues of Hawai'i. Sure racism happens everywhere i don't condone it. But whats difficult is when a mainlander experiences racism it front page news. When it happens to locals or natives its in the name progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii