Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:27 PM

46 posts, read 1,100,272 times

Advertisements

Go to;

https://res.hawaiisuperferry.com/dir.../bkg_first.asp

I tried November 10th -11th for 2 passengers with a car. It gave me a total of $463.77. And that is with an advance purchase and web purchase discount!! I also tried it for one person with a car and it came up $319.81.

Is there another place you can buy tickets at a discount or something??

Aloha,
"LOVIN"MAUI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
From what I have gathered, interisland per person is $44.00, and vehicle is $59.00, if it's anywhere near your numbers they would be lolo to even consider starting up a business over here. Shipping a car from Honolulu to Maui is around $160.00 with Young Brothers, I've sent construction trucks etc all over the Islands. Might want to recheck your source for those numbers.

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 AM

Ok, well you might want to check your numbers because here is my source, directly from the superferry website... If you can come up with anything cheaper and more convenient please let me know!

Last edited by LovinMaui; 07-05-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinMaui View Post
Ok, well you might want to check your numbers because here is my source, directly from the superferry website.
The "fuel surcharges, taxes and fees" for that voyage on the Superferry are $147.23.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM

I think the Superferry may be Superdoomed if those are the prices they are charging. Would almost be cheaper to ship your car via Young Brothers, and fly interisland. I just don't get their thinking, but don't forget Air Hawaii, I think that was the name, back in the 80's, buy 8 tickets, get 8 free, I flew them once, gave some tickets to my folks so they could fly over to Maui, carrier went belly up during their vacation here. Then there's Mid Pacific, and who could forget Mahalo Airlines, think Rap Repplinger was behind that one

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 96,949 times
According to the ferry website the cheapest fare one way is $44 $44x2 is $88. Now my truck would be $69 $69x2 is $138. $138 + $88=$226. Now add the 30% fuel charge. Yes thats right 30% I get $293.80. Looks like you missed that fuel charge eh Thomas? Now add a friend and go on the weekend and loving maui is right on. Big bucks. Lose money. And if you want to go to the lounge that is an extra $20 a head per person both ways. Can you say Seaflite? This is shaping up to be Seaflite 2. And lets not forget the millions loaned to superferry by the State of Hawaii. I would be willing to bet that this turkey won't last 2 years. And thats sad because we will all be paying a lot longer than that.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 PM

Pohaku Po'o,
If thats what they intend to charge, I wouldn't give them 2 years, maybe they'll rethink things once they get going, with 75 or 100 passengers on board, and a few vehicles below, they'll be losing their okoles in a hurry. Definitely reminds me of Seaflight!

Aloha,
Thomas Praetzel

Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
"With Lehman's expertise, the Superferry plans to operate a Westpac Express, essentially to carry military equipment and ferry vehicles from Oahu to the Big Island on a daily basis."
full article:
Lehman joins Superferry project - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):
(an early story about the Superferry...)

I have not followed this closely enough to take a strong position on it, but it does seem that the pricing strategy is going to leave the average family out of the equation unless a long trip with a lot of 'stuff' makes it cost-effective in some way. I'm glad to see that several groups of concerned residents are keeping a close eye on this. The state is putting a lot of money on the line with this project and those advocating for the Superferry should be held accountable for every aspect of the impact it may have on our state and our residents. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out...

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 07-05-2007 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Add quote

Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 AM

376 posts, read 489,978 times
What a nightmare! I had hoped when I come there to be able to drive from one island to the other (so to speak).Maybe if people see it as saving on rental car fees it may not be so bad? I dunno, really really expensive. But maybe prices will drop the longer people do not use it-like supply/demand?

Old 07-07-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The "fuel surcharges, taxes and fees" for that voyage on the Superferry are $147.23.
I know it is crazy!! I was really excited about the idea of the superferry until I hit up the website. My friends and I had these big plans of heading over to Oahu to go shopping, filling the car and having a nice leisurely trip back... Well too bad after paying for our tickets we won't have any money left to go shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii