Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,613 times

Advertisements

OMG still on going from such a cool experience. I could tell it like I knew what I was watching but I had no clue. Took an hour afterwards till I realized what I saw.

So whales whales whales this am starting at 7am. My friend saw breaches and tail. I got up around 8am tail tail tail with blows.

Around 10:45 I was reading on lanai and heard blow, was it a blow, then within time another blow, looking not seeing anything, finally by the 5th blow I was OK there is whales out there but I can't see them,?

Went across the street (no camera of course) to try to see what I was hearing - sounds like whales but no see. Finally get to edge of the cliff. Sheezz they were less than a 100 ft out. Kinda hovering with the waves - no tails, no diving, just floating along, no swiming. Thought that is strange never seen that before. Watched for over 15 minutes (yelling to my friend in the house who wasn't listening- hearing) Why are they just floating.

There were three of them. Looking directly down on them I saw one on back - two on each side of the one on back kinda swirling in waves (calm calm day) saw something white - OK must be playing with fins - but it only came out of the water 1-2 ft. That is short for a fin/flipper.

After all this time I say well sheezz if your going to hang out this long I will go get my camera and friend. By the time I get to house friend camera and back still here but floated further. But they were still just floating staying on surfurce. Blowing and staying really bunched up.

My friend says - there is no rock there what is that color in the water? I have never seen this. I respond well I think it is poo, they are 40tons must have alot of poo when they go, that is where they were before I came and got you.

We didn't figure it out for an hour. Nooo poo afterbirth. OMG what did I just see. Must have been the baby and the mom on back that was white. The other whales along each side to support her.

Another hour. I am reading again... I am hearing blows looking looking no whales. I go out to the cliff partial no whales. Shaking head don't know. Go back to house and going to make a phone call on cell. Only works by the cliff. As I get out there again "Blow" OK what the hell I can't see them. I have to go all the way to edge of the cliff and less than 50ft from cliff is Mom and new baby! Baby is Bottle nose dolphin color. Lite grey. AGain do not I have camera. Nope!!! Watched them hang for 10 minutes finally run back to house for camera. As they are moving out.

She then couple of hours later less than 50yrds from Waa Waa start of road showed up. And tonight I hear a whale in front of the house. I think she is still hanging out with the baby close to shore. I will see in am if still here.

Amazing... Mahalo and I and so blessed!
Attached Thumbnails
Watched Humpback birth today!!-mom-baby.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times

Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM

119 posts, read 376,763 times
amazing ... where was it, which part of the island? I wish I can watch

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Eksotia bottom of Hawaiian Shores/start of Waa Waa in Puna.. it was amazing!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Lucky you!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM

91 posts, read 279,075 times
I second the 'lucky you' comment! What an amazing thing to witness!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
WOW! What a fantastic experience! Thanks for your descriptive (and entertaining) report!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
I've heard they have their babies in fairly shallow water so the newborns can "bounce" off the bottom to get up to the top for air if they have to. Pretty kewl! Does this mean you get to name the baby?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:26 AM

I whole heart believe I and blessed beyond lucky! No seeing them today but as I type they are right outside - hear them - Wow they are really starting to go for it trumpeting/Blows. Close again! Wheither the baby or ?? I was trying to Think of a name Hotzcatz not that I get to or anything... came up with a couple of ideas.

I emailed NOAA and asked if they would be interested in location, time etc. In WA I know waterfront home owners report sightings to help with the orca counts/sightings in San Juans, Sound and ocean. I haven't had a reply. Guess that isn't done here.

I am soooo amazed at how many whales I have seen on the East side this year. And how many hang at the house at night... last year only twice. This year nightly. I have "heard" who knows - that more whales are seen this year in the first count than other isalnds combined. Don't know it for a fact but I do know I only saw a couple on this side last year vrs - average day now at least 5 to +lots.

Ahh I love it! Them - Hawai'i

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
...And how many hang at the house at night... last year only twice. This year nightly...
Dang. You have whales hangin' out at the house! Now that's a party!

ps - we have to get together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii