Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times

Advertisements

Yeah we got the palmetto bugs. But they don't seem as prevalent here as in FL.

Weather on Kauai now: wet wet wet wet wet wet. Forecast: wet wet wet wet wet. (OK, that's why we're the garden isle, yeah yeah yeah. But it'd be nice to have a day or two to dry out now and then...) Sorry we can't send some of this over to Maui, where they really need it!

Sorry for whining. I just discovered a couple more things covered in mold. bah humbug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
FL also gets those cold snaps that Hawaii never does

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Florida is a big huge state. There is no way to compare and contrast the weather unless you specify where in Florida.

Hmmm, it may help to specify where in Hawai'i as well, since we have a dozen climates.

I'll compare S. Florida (Fort Lauderdale/Miami area) to the Hilo area as I lived in the former for about 30 years and I live in the latter now. SoFla may get endless days of sunshine but they also get a lot of violent weather. Although Hilo rains are legendary, in nearly two months here (whew, that went fast!!!) I've yet to be inconvenienced by it and yet to see horizontal rain or a bad storm. In SoFla, violent rainstorms are common, with lightning, thunder, and lots of flooding. Friends back in SoFla have really complained all this year about the violent storms, and I'm not even talking about hurricanes, just their tropical weather. I have yet to see lightning or hear thunder in Hilo.

Oh yah, those...hurricanes and tropical storms...I imagine they are much more frequent in SoFla than Hilo.

Although it is very humid here, we never seem to sweat but sweating profusely just goes with the territory in SoFla.

The thing I disliked most about SoFla weather wasn't the hurricanes, it was the incredibly cold winters. Maybe ten days each winter, it would go down into the 40's, and rarely even the 30's, but most workplaces don't have heat...in fact, many homes do not have heat...so that's ten days of real suffering.

Imagine my shock to move to Hawai'i and find out that it is COLD here! I had to order a fleece robe from Lands End because I woke up freezing cold and couldn't find any robes locally. Visiting Waimea or Volcano is incredibly cold and I'm so glad that I brought a warm jacket on the plane when we moved for our layover in Seattle, because I wore it daily for my first month here. I've grown more accustomed to the cold now and I'm usually ok with jeans and a top. I've even ventured out wearing shorts once and didn't suffer! I do hope I get used to this cold climate.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Yeah, it rarely gets above 90, that's true. But depending where you are, and I guess what you consider "high", there is certainly high humidity. Here on the east side of Kauai, about 3 miles inland and 300' up, we often have humidity above 75%, and sometimes above 85%. It doesn't often go below 65%.

That's what I thought too.

I was in HI in summer, and while not as humid as Florida/Caribbean...it was still quite humid. I don't know when the dry season is in HI (most tropical climates have them), but I would guess that would be the time of year with lowest humidty.

Florida has very dry weather and low humidty in the dry season (Nov - April). Often it is so dry in winter they have water restrictions in place and brush/forest fires are a huge issue. The weather is perfect in winter in Florida - highs in the 70's and low's in the upper 50's to mid 60's and a steady breeze. It's the rainy season in FL that feels like you're in the Amazon - lol.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Florida is a big huge state...nobody can make generalizations about the state's weather. Please give a specific region when posting, thank you.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 18,715 times
It has to be humid to support coco
nut palms

Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,504 times
temperature/humidity in florida varies drastically depending where you are. And winters do get pretty cold (but not by mainland standards)

humidity often times much higher in florida than Hawaii

temperature extremes are higher in florida

florida hit by more hurricanes over the years than Hawaii has, with many of them being direct strikes.

----------------------------

in my opinion, the very best thing about Hawaii is it's boring weather pattern. If you took today's weather and humidity level, and predicted the same thing across the entire year, you'd be right most of the time.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:07 PM

353 posts, read 437,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Besides, Hawaii doesn't have those awful Palmetto bugs. At least not that I ever saw.
Are you on crack? Hawaii has hella huge flying roaches.

Besides that, everything posters are saying is pretty correct.

Coastal Florida can be very temperate because of the proximity to the water. Sure, the humidity is pretty high, but you barely feel it if you got some ocean breezes going. Agreed that central Florida is a *****, BUT, at least you have A.C available to you. Even if you rent the ****tiest dump in Florida, it will have at least a wall unit. And even in central FL, October through April is really, really nice. Only June through early September is unbearable. (But again, you have AC).

I have only lived on the Big Island and I can say for sure that living at elevation on Kona side is on the warm side, but probably almost perfect temp wise. North Kohala and Honoka'a is pretty nice as well.

Hilo is a little too humid, but at least they have cloud cover most of the time, so it is bearable. Hilo weather reminds me of coastal FL weather , but with more rain.

Kona is hands down the worst weather I have ever experienced. Maybe we were having a bad 18 months when I was there, but if you read my leaving Hawaii post, weather was one of the reasons I left.

Kona was about 88 degrees everyday. And when I mean everyday....I mean it. No reprieve, ever. Every single one. Not a cloud in the sky, ever. Sun 24/7/30/12 Rained only 6 times in 18 months. Temps up to 82 degrees by 7 a.m. To someone in living in the midwest this may sound like paradise, but not when you have to endure it day after day. And then, no AC to save you. Never. And even if you did get a wall unit, you can't afford to run the AC because electricity is $.30-.40 per kwh (depending on where you live).

omg. I am so done with that place. Hawaii, I may come back to, but Kailua-Kona can kiss my MF ass b/c I am never going back there.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:51 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
to endure it day after day. And then, no AC to save you. Never.
They don't have AC on the Bigger Island yet?? I knew they were a little slow down there, but that's ridiculous.

Okolemaluna pupule

Old 04-08-2017, 12:07 PM

353 posts, read 437,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
They don't have AC on the Bigger Island yet?? I knew they were a little slow down there, but that's ridiculous.

Okolemaluna pupule
If you walk into a store, it will have AC (although some stores do not). I hear the schools don't have AC as well. I was comparing homes in FL with homes in HI with AC. In FL, ALL homes are equipped with AC even if it's just a wall unit. In HI, almost NO homes are equipped with AC and honestly, if you live in a more temperate area of HI, you don't really need it. Newer, expensive homes in HI have AC I'm sure because their rich owners can afford the electricity bill that goes with it. So yes, there is AC on the BI, but it is not common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii