Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 18,307 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Hawaii for the first time for 6 days/7 nights. Plan is to stay in Oahu and maybe a couple of days on Big Island. We have young 2 kids. Please let us know your views on renting a condo (or a rental prop.) Vs. staying in a Hotel.

The basic criteria is reasonable daily rent, clean joint, reasonable service, family friendly area and if possible free parking and breakfast option.

While there we would like to relax and spend some time exploring the islands and recreation. The focus is on the kids having fun..

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by RickShaw1; 02-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
You'll have lots of options either way. Many families prefer renting condos because they like the convenience of having a kitchen. That said, many of the newly-renovated hotels have microwaves and small refrigerators, so the line is blurred. Further blurred by the fact that many so-called hotels have timeshare condo units for rent. Most condo complexes have pools and parking and the same kinds of amenties as hotels. And many condos are so set up for vacation rentals that they have daily maid service and some have room service dining and/or room-charge privileges with merchants.

If you're not aware of Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO.com), you'll hear a lot about it here. That's one of a few popular sites where you can rent a condo directly from the owner v. from the management company. Right now, while there are so many rentals and so few tourists, this has been a bargain. (Feel free to call the owner to negotiate a lower rate than the web site shows. There's a glut of rentals everywhere.)

There are several sites like VRBO.com, and some condos have their own web sites. I, personally, love staying in hotels, but unless you're really looking for that kind of experience or those particular services or are particularly brand-loyal (trying to use points or earn points or whatever), it's hard to beat the condos when there are so many available.

Oahu and Big Island posters here are excellent resources for specific questions you may have regarding specific condo complexes, neighborhoods, easy access to the kinds of activities you enjoy, etc. (I'm on Maui.)

Best of luck.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,458 times
I would definitely go the condo/vacation rental route. We have rented a few condos when my parents come to visit and it is awesome. We rented a really nice 2 bedroom condo by the Hilton Waikoloa for $150 a night. I think we would have paid almost $300 for a room at the Hilton. Not sure about the breakfast option but we bought a few things at the store and made breakfast every morning. Worked out great and we saved a bunch money. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We rent a condo every year on Maui. It's great especially for families. Staying in a condo saves you from going out to eat every meal, there usually is a washer and dryer, which saves you from bringing a lot of clothes. The condo we rent has maid service, and high standards. You might check with Destination Hawaii, as we have rented from them.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM

I have perused VRBO and Captain Cook websites. There are many options but it is difficult to decide based on descriptions/pictures on these web pages.

Ilikai Marina seems good. OTOH, I am also considering other areas such as Kailua or North Shore.

My concern with B&B or Cottage rental is again the quality of the accomodations.

Any opinions/references will be much appreciated.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
IMHO 6 days is too short to try to do two islands. You'll spend your first day getting settled and then have to pack up two kids and waste a day traveling to the new island and then another day getting back to Oahu to head back home. Not very relaxing.

What are the children's ages? Under 10 and they'll be happy with the beach. Up to 18 and they'll like the beach and the Waikiki activity.

Most VRBO's charge one time cleaning charges that will up your cost per night. I don't see you saving alot of money by having a kitchen over 6 days. You can fast food breakfast or hit a grocery outside Waikiki for fruit and cereal. There's also alot of interesting things outside of Waikiki that you all will like and keep you busy when to don't want to lay on Waikiki Beach.

Illikai is pretty nice but you pay extra for parking and the streetside units are very noisy and you have a bit of a walk to the beach. It's on the harbor.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Looks like we might just stay in Oahu all 6 days. The Kailua beach area looks appealing. In case we do decide to stay around Waikiki, please suggest areas that would be good for the family. BTW, I have not given up on the traditional hotel option yet. However with $30 a day in parking this would equate or exceed some "cleaning charges" on the rentals.. Another somewhat negative on rentals is the deposit! It would be my word against theirs in case they decide to hold the deposit...!!

The plus with having a kitchen is that it would be easier to meet our dietary needs! Though 6 days should not make much of a difference.

Also any opinions on Mariott's Ko Olina Beach Club? Looks like they have "vacation package" for 5 days but you have to attend their 90 minute sales pitch - not sure how this will work with 2 kids in tow... Also I would have to see if they will accomodate 6 days/7nights for my time frame Thu to Thu..

Dang decisions decisions... Why can't life be a beach? Maybe it's up to me

Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM

My impression of the places you've listed (and I live on Maui, so I only visit Oahu as a semi-tourist) is:

1) Kailua = traditional beach town with more residential-type accommodations
2) Waikiki = major urban area with good beaches, high-rises, and lots of activity
3) Ko'olina = resort in an area that's neither a traditional town nor in the city

These are three distinct types of places to stay, depending upon how much your family likes to be able to walk to things or be in the middle of the fray or be kind of set apart in a resort area.

Most Marriotts have keiki programs that will entertain your kids if they're too young for the timeshare presentation. I'm sure they'll work something out for you to get you to look. Ko'olina is a very nice area, nothing like Kailua or Waikiki.

There are condotels and condos for rent in Waikiki if you want a kitchen there, you know. And there's a grocery store two blocks off the beach. I'm not pitching Waikiki, though. Wherever you decide to stay, I'd call them to book, though. You can ask for free parking or a reduced rate or an extended stay at package rate. Really, things are that slow right now.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

How much of a big diff it is between staying on the waikiki strip or a couple blocks inside? Price would be one for sure...

BTW, I did get an offer from Ko'Olina for 7 nights. But the wife did not like it because it is too far from Waikiki !! Also the misc. fees could add up to some $$...

Any good Condos along Waikiki beach or across?

Thanks again.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Before you book, you might want to look at a map of Waikiki. There are very few hotels right on the beach: Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki, Moana Surfrider. (There's not much beach at Halekulani, but as you head toward Ala Moana, there are a few more hotels right on the beach: Outrigger Reef on the close-in side of Fort DeRussy, then Hale Koa and Hilton Hawaiian Village on the Ala Moana side of Ft. DeRussy. This area is not really on the Waikiki "strip," but the beaches are nice.)

Back in the thick of Waikiki, the other hotels are actually across Kalakaua Avenue from the beaches. From the Hyatt to Kapiolani Park (toward Diamond Head), you have to cross Kalakaua (busy!) to get to the beach. So IMHO, there's not much difference -- other than potentially unobstructed view -- between staying in one of those and staying a block or so back.

Both HomeAway.com and VRBO.com (Vacation Rental by Owner) list Waikiki condos. Lots! Wyndham also recently opened an Embassy Suites interval ownership highrise with 1- and 2-BR suites. (not sure about kitchens) behind Trump Tower on the Waikiki Beachwalk if you want something in-between hotel and condo.

Best of luck. If you let us know specific properties that interest you, we can probably help more. There are just so many options and variables, that it's hard to know what would appeal to your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii