Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:19 AM

19 posts, read 80,033 times

Advertisements

I used to live in NYC. Hawaii could be little more expensive than NYC but not too much. The cost of dine out is almost same as NYC and Hawaii offers more selections in take-out style. But you have to let people know which island you are planning to move to. My answer is based on living cost in island of Oahu (Honolulu).

Grocery.
My monthly grocery budget is around $400-500 for 2 people. But I purchase lots of organic stuff which cost more than non-organic products. It is true that milk is expensive in Hawaii but if you have a costco card you can buy three, 64oz organic low fat milk for $9. So it's like $3 each and you can keep for around one month or longer I used to buy organic milk(64oz) in NYC for $2.99. If you are the type to shop smart, consider $250-300 for monthly grocery expense for yourself.

Rent.
The cost is similar to NYC ( I don't know about upstate NY) but generally smaller than NYC.
You will find one bedroom apartment is generally ~550qf. One bedroom from $1000 and up.

Electric bill is very expensive in Hawaii. If you are thinking to rent and able to find kitchen w/ gas stove, you are very lucky. Otherwise everything is electric based. Expect to pay around $95-$125 month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 01:22 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
So far, groceries aren't much more expensive except for some items. Restaurants are the same as Houston

Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM

94 posts, read 318,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Hogwash. Cost of Living is comparing A to A, B to B, and C to C. Not A to A, B to b, and C to b with a bit of C. If I move to Hawaii and because I can't afford electricity like I did in NYC so don't turn on lights and stuff does that mean Hawaii electricity is cheaper than NYC? No, it means I use less because the cost is higher. If I walk to work because gas is higher in Hawaii than NYC does that mean Hawaii gas prices are cheaper? You are talking your BUDGET, not cost of living. Sounds like your trying to fake the cost of living in your mind to match your expenses so you claim cost of living is lower. Its because the cost of living is higher that you must change your spending habits. Otherwise, you should be doing the exact same thing spoending the exact same ways and not worry about change.
You missed my point entirely. I was not trying to define "cost of living." I am reasonably sure everyone knows what that phrase means, although I'm sure we appreciate the refresher course.

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-29-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM

22 posts, read 34,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmanker View Post
I agree, I live in NY and feel the food prices are just about the same. Yes, milk is a little higher but it all seems to equal out in the end.
I live outside of Tucson Arizona.A gallon of milk,here cost-$6.85.
At Circle K Stores ,they are selling Shamrock gallon of milk- 2 for $6.50
Is is a cheaper buy,to buy milk at the Circle K stores.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 AM

47 posts, read 129,455 times
This is a subject I cant seem to nail down. I'm wanting to move to Kauai in a few years. My mom has a friend from Maui who says I better be ready to work five jobs. But every comparison I have done on things makes it look not so bad. Rent would be about 300 dollars more than here and gasoline is about 1.00 more a gallon. My electric bill has never been less than 160 bucks and its about 225 when i have to run air in our 115+ and 90% humidity summers. I know that the kwh rate is way higher there but since i wouldnt be using an air conditioner it seems like it would balance out. Milk is about $5 a gallon here. I know its higher there but it still doesnt seem like things are so expensive I would need 5 jobs. As opposed to one good one for me and my wife. I think the real trick is just finding that good job. That is why we arent there already though.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
I think the real trick is just finding that good job. That is why we arent there already though.
Keep in mind that these are the most remote islands in the world, so everything that has to be shipped in, so almost everything costs more. Say that's an added 20%.

Then the real gotcha is that jobs here do not pay as much. Say that's another 20% off your total purchasing power.

Now, put them together and... Shazaam, your budget just got a whole lot tighter.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
I know its higher there but it still doesnt seem like things are so expensive I would need 5 jobs. As opposed to one good one for me and my wife. I think the real trick is just finding that good job. That is why we arent there already though.
the secret is understanding the cost of living and how it will impact you if you relocate. Its not that Hawaii is 300 - 500% higher to live, it means that things are higher and how much higher it will be for you depends on yuor lifestyle.

Take a simple think like milk, how much do you pay now and what is the cost on hawaii? if the cost is only 20 cents, the average person says thats not high. Except that everything you touch will be from 5 cents to $1 more and over the weeks and year, those pennies can add up. $300 more a year for groceries, $500 more a year for gasoline, $100 more a year for utilities. $300 more a year eating out. $200 more a year for entertainment. $1,000 more a year to vist family back home. All these are small when looked at on a single item by item individually but add them up and thats where the gatcha comes in.

also what openD said, you have to find a job that pays the amount needed AFTER all deductions.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:39 PM

97 posts, read 279,192 times
Quote:
This is a subject I cant seem to nail down. I'm wanting to move to Kauai in a few years. My mom has a friend from Maui who says I better be ready to work five jobs. But every comparison I have done on things makes it look not so bad. Rent would be about 300 dollars more than here and gasoline is about 1.00 more a gallon. My electric bill has never been less than 160 bucks and its about 225 when i have to run air in our 115+ and 90% humidity summers. I know that the kwh rate is way higher there but since i wouldnt be using an air conditioner it seems like it would balance out. Milk is about $5 a gallon here. I know its higher there but it still doesnt seem like things are so expensive I would need 5 jobs. As opposed to one good one for me and my wife. I think the real trick is just finding that good job. That is why we arent there already though.
$160 a month on electricity in Little Rock, Arkansas, works out to be in the neighborhood of 1739 kWh per month based on the rates in your area (0.092 per kWh). That same power usage would cost you $718 on Kaua'i (0.413 per kWh).

Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM

47 posts, read 129,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
$160 a month on electricity in Little Rock, Arkansas, works out to be in the neighborhood of 1739 kWh per month based on the rates in your area (0.092 per kWh). That same power usage would cost you $718 on Kaua'i (0.413 per kWh).
Its a little higher than that on my bill. Most of the time I'm using right at 750kwh per month. There's a huge spike in the summer though when the temps teach 120. Its either 20 or 120 here most of the time. So the furnace or the AC are pretty much always on. Uses power to run the furnace plus gas even though its much cheaper than AC. No doubt the rates are higher but I'm just assuming I would be using way less not running AC or heat. I've seen a few people here say there bill was around 150-200 without AC and that doesn't seem like a giant difference.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
No doubt the rates are higher but I'm just assuming I would be using way less not running AC or heat. I've seen a few people here say there bill was around 150-200 without AC and that doesn't seem like a giant difference.
Aahh, they key is a house designed to not need a/c or heat. There are many houses built on Hawaii to the standards transplants are use to. That means they have the feel of mainland homes and layouts, with some hawaii style decor and looks. As a result, the house may look tropical but was built with a layout that really didnt consider AIR flow. Or the overhangs are more to mainland standards and that sun comes beating in baking the place. And, don;t foregt that if the house was designd and built to run a/c, trying to live in that house without using the a/c could be a real chore.

When looking for a house, you have to know that you plan on forgoing a/c and make darn sure that the design, layout and construction supports no a/c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii