Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 AM

28 posts, read 99,062 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have made the move, in hind sight is there anything you would like to share with those of us who are on our way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-aloha View Post
For those of you that have made the move, in hind sight is there anything you would like to share with those of us who are on our way?
Rent for the first year or two...

Most of us have enough income or savings to afford to purchase one home at a time. Until you know that the job you're accepting or Hawaii in general are for you error on the side of caution. Otherwise you might find yourself with a white elephant that you can't rent, sell or has lost half its value.

Some homes on the Big Island in the Puna and Ka'u areas have lost over half their value and have been on the market for years.

I know that it tempting but there's a reason there are so many bargains on some of the outer islands.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:24 PM

82 posts, read 478,928 times
One misconception I had was how commercialized everything is. Like the thread about "Aloha Spirit". Most anything with tradition has been turned into a for-profit venture catering to tourists. Yes it may exist in its natural form somewhere -- but it may take some work to find it.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 19,043 times
I read quite a few posts stating- don't bring much stuff and their are garage sales here selling all kinds of furniture.... The furniture at garage sales is junk- and the homes are the same size as what we lived in on the mainland- My suggestion; ship your furniture and take care of as much stuff on the mainland as possible (i.e. Dr. appt's /eye doctor....)

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

28 posts, read 99,062 times
Thank you all. I have some advice to give from my Aunts experience.
She asked if she could load some things in her car, everything was gone upon
arrival.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbityDibbity View Post
One misconception I had was how commercialized everything is. Like the thread about "Aloha Spirit". Most anything with tradition has been turned into a for-profit venture catering to tourists. Yes it may exist in its natural form somewhere -- but it may take some work to find it.
Oh I must disagree! But perhaps because you are in Honolulu, and I am on the Big Island. I smile every day at some of the small kindnesses that I observe.

Just as an aside, my son and his wife had to spend 3 days in HNL last week for a medical appointment. They had never been there before. He called me and said "Holy cow this is like New York City"! LOL (and he was raised in Las Vegas, no less!) They were happy to be home in Kona after that trip.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM

91 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Oh I must disagree! But perhaps because you are in Honolulu, and I am on the Big Island. I smile every day at some of the small kindnesses that I observe.

Just as an aside, my son and his wife had to spend 3 days in HNL last week for a medical appointment. They had never been there before. He called me and said "Holy cow this is like New York City"! LOL (and he was raised in Las Vegas, no less!) They were happy to be home in Kona after that trip.

I agree... Oahu has really become just like any other big city on the mainland... overpopulated, over-exploited... just a big mess IMHO.

-V

Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 AM

82 posts, read 478,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post

I'm heading to Kona for the first time in a couple weeks -- I'm excited to note the differences from "city living".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii