Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of the Ala Moana in Honolulu as compared to the best mall Maui has to offer mall-wise. How would Maui's malls rate in comparison. I'm thinking of retiring to Hawaii and am trying to choose between the two islands. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 AM

243 posts, read 812,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm thinking of the Ala Moana in Honolulu as compared to the best mall Maui has to offer mall-wise. How would Maui's malls rate in comparison. I'm thinking of retiring to Hawaii and am trying to choose between the two islands. Thanks.
Ala Moana or Ward center are the two best "malls" on Oahu (in my opinion).

Am I reading this correctly, you want to retire in Hawaii and you are basing this off of a mall?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
we have a mall, it has sears, macys and a few other stores. not a huge mall. in wailea we have a few higher end stores. maui is not a mecca for shopping for sure.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Ha! I'm thinking this must be a joke thread? If you want big malls, Oahu is your island. None of the other islands have (nor want) bigger malls than what they have.

Malls aside, Oahu also has a much larger variety of stores for shopping. Mini malls, strip malls, stores in general....you want Oahu.

As far as entertainment, it would depend on what you consider entertaining. Tell us more of what you seek, and we'll tell you if Maui or the other islands have that.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:09 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
When it comes to retiring in Hawai'i, there are other things that should be considered in addition to shopping and entertainment.

Here are links to the websites of some of the more popular shopping centers/malls on O'ahu...
Ala Moana Center
Pearlridge (http://www.pearlridgeonline.com/pearlridge2/index.php - broken link)
Kahala Mall
Ward Centers
Windward Mall
Royal Hawaiian Center
Kapolei Marketplace
Waikele Premium Outlets

Here are links to the websites of some of the more popular shopping centers/malls on Maui...
Queen Ka'ahumanu Center
The Shops At Wailea
Maui Mall
Lahaina Cannery Mall
Whalers' Village

If O'ahu rates a "10" when it comes to shopping and entertainment, I'd give Maui a "6."

Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If O'ahu rates a "10" when it comes to shopping and entertainment, I'd give Maui a "6."
I agree with Jonah K, if the higher ratings are based on MORE. Since I prefer LESS, I'd give Maui the 10 and Oahu a 5.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 PM

By word of explanation, I've already learned much about Maui thanks to you good people who've provided ample solid info in past threads. Mall shopping, one of our fav pastimes was one topic I am not familiar with re Maui. I HAVE been to Ala Moana, but not Queen Kaahumanu Mall, so I wondered how the two compared, though Queen looks pretty impressive for an island as "out in the sticks" as Maui. Thanks much for your replies.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Queen K mall is very small compared to Ala Moana. As mentioned, only the couple of bigger anchor stores, then the rest are easily all seen in a couple of hours.

Here's their directory, online: Queen Ka'ahumanu Center Directory – Queen Ka'ahumanu Center Map, Queen Ka'ahumanu Center Stores
As you will see, there are many listings for the food court, phone services, and jewelers...but not much in the way of shops that you might want to browse every week.

The Shops at Wailea might be more of a place to stroll. All outdoors, with high end shops like Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Coach. Then clothing and gift stores, and galleries and restaurants. They have Wailea on Wednesdays (WOW), offering free music. You can wander the mall, get a snack or a meal, and if you want to walk more you can walk along the beach walk path between the water and the resorts.

Here's the directory for The Shops at Wailea: Directory of Shops and Restaurants (http://www.shopsatwailea.com/Directory.htm - broken link)

Some people like to visit malls as they can be a safer place to do their exercise walk. If this is true for you, then know that lots of people walk the South Kihei Road, the Kalama Park loop, the Wailea beach path. Much safer than most places I've been on the mainland, and many people out because of the visitors and locals enjoying the sunset. So you don't have to go to a mall for a stroll.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM

62 posts, read 267,383 times
Quote:
By word of explanation, I've already learned much about Maui thanks to you good people who've provided ample solid info in past threads. Mall shopping, one of our fav pastimes was one topic I am not familiar with re Maui. I HAVE been to Ala Moana, but not Queen Kaahumanu Mall, so I wondered how the two compared, though Queen looks pretty impressive for an island as "out in the sticks" as Maui. Thanks much for your replies.
I get where you're coming from, and I'm sorry for all the snarky replies. Some of these people replying haven't even moved to Hawaii yet and yet they feel they can be judgmental about those asking a simple question (one, I'm sure, of hundreds you may have).

Oahu will be your best best for shopping. Maui has plenty of boutiques and the normal stuff, but to find higher end stuff it's Oahu hands-down. Even then, though, you'll find that they don't have a lot of stores you're used to. I'm sure you'll do fine in that regard, though.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM

Well, since posting this I've found from reading JuliaHuff's posts on her experience with Maui Hospital and the horrible lack of services there that it might be better to go to Oahu where at least the health care gives you a reasonable shot at surviving an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii