U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 AM

23 posts, read 154,462 times

Advertisements

What area of Hawaii is in your opinion the BEST place for a young single guy to visit for a few months?

There would have to be:

-Lots of restaurants/bars
-Good Beaches
-Other young people (especially mainlanders)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 05:02 PM

17 posts, read 174,457 times
Honolulu. Most of the islands outside of Oahu are much slower paced. Still a great time, but not exactly a "party" atmosphere. I love the outlying islands now that I'm married, but for someone 22 and single, Oahu may be a better choice...

Old 06-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Ok, and would you think that a person could live on Oahu for around $2000 a month?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 PM

216 posts, read 810,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason213 View Post
Ok, and would you think that a person could live on Oahu for around $2000 a month?
Sure! If you are willing to live in a tiny apt. or rent a room. If you are fine with taking the bus, finding most of your entertainment on the beach (free,) buying only essentials, and purchasing your food carefully at the grocery store (very limited eating out.) It actually could be a lot of fun...you could write a book "Getting by on Next to Nothing in Hawaii."

Also, you would be in good company here. A lot of people here choose quality of living over fancy material things. Oahu might be a little more "money driven" than the outer islands, but it would still be fun. You might look into Maui too. A lot of young free spirits seem to congregate there!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 PM

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, renting a room and maybe getting a bike or something. And for entertainment, do surf lessons usually cost a lot? I would imagine the board would be around 400-500 bucks, but what about lessons?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 AM

888 posts, read 2,730,044 times
I'm not real familiar with what's going on at Waikiki, I'm on B. I. but I'm pretty sure board rent would be less than $500. Maybe including lessons, it's not all that hard, doesn't take that long to learn. Also, I agree, biggest problem/expense might be food, if you don't have some kind of kitchen. But if you're young and single, Waikiki in Honolulu is THE place to be in Hawaii.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 06-06-2007 at 03:34 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 PM

Default surf lessons

Quote:
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, renting a room and maybe getting a bike or something. And for entertainment, do surf lessons usually cost a lot? I would imagine the board would be around 400-500 bucks, but what about lessons?
There will certainly be lessons available for purchase. I imagine they will be pretty high though. Probably the best way to learn the technique, and the "culture" of surfing (which a formal lesson may or may not teach you) is to actually make a friend with someone who lives and surfs here. I know you said you didn't want to work, but work is probably one of your best chances of meeting and spending time with someone who will be willing to take you under thier wing. Everyone works in Hawaii except tourists and those who are retired! (All the resorts here have "causual" postions too. Some people do that just for cash and to meet people.)

A board will run you about $500 more or less. Check the paper for people selling their boards, or even go to a surf shop and talk with the people who work there.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
There will certainly be lessons available for purchase. I imagine they will be pretty high though. Probably the best way to learn the technique, and the "culture" of surfing (which a formal lesson may or may not teach you) is to actually make a friend with someone who lives and surfs here. I know you said you didn't want to work, but work is probably one of your best chances of meeting and spending time with someone who will be willing to take you under thier wing. Everyone works in Hawaii except tourists and those who are retired! (All the resorts here have "causual" postions too. Some people do that just for cash and to meet people.)

A board will run you about $500 more or less. Check the paper for people selling their boards, or even go to a surf shop and talk with the people who work there.
Work isn't really an option, I'm Canadian and I don't have a green card or anything so I would be there on a Visitor status.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Work isn't really an option, I'm Canadian and I don't have a green card or anything so I would be there on a Visitor status.
Ah....well then, you'll just have to find your surfer buddy elsewhere!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 AM

274 posts, read 1,119,384 times
Quote:
What area of Hawaii is in your opinion the BEST place for a young single guy to visit for a few months?

There would have to be:

-Lots of restaurants/bars
-Good Beaches
-Other young people (especially mainlanders)
Honolulu/Waikki

Popular bar is MaiTai at Ala Moana Shopping Center (3rd floor). Dave-n-Buster's (at Ward Centers) at night is popular with the young crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii