Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM

128 posts, read 540,959 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just have a quick stupid question...did anyone else get the 2010 Census in the mail? It says my "response is required by law" Does that mean exactly what it says? If I don't fill it out and send it back does it mean im breaking the law? Sorry I have never gotten one of these before so I am clueless about the circumstances.

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
I doubt you'll be shot at dawn or sent to Guantanamo, but if you don't fill it out and return it an enumerator will stop by to gather the required information.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
It is in your best interest to fill it out. Last time around, many people in Hawaii did not and the state lost millions in federal aid.

Why would you not want to be counted? The info is all confidential (and there's really nothing much on there anyway, even if it were to get out).

Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Well, they want the names of the folks living in the house. Ages of the folks, a phone number (in case they wanna ask questions, I guess) and ethnicity. They only let you fill in one box on the ethnicity unless you want to write stuff in. It's not hard and it's postage paid, too. Doesn't fit real well in the slot at our small post office, though.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I dunno the Hawaii figures but our county in California is figuring $7000 lost revenue for every resident who isn't counted. Why not fill it out.? I'm doing ours today.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 PM

155 posts, read 516,208 times
I have been hearing ads all morning on 105KINE which I am streaming. I guess they don't want Hawai`i to again lose millions of dollars.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
It is in your best interest to fill it out. Last time around, many people in Hawaii did not and the state lost millions in federal aid.

Why would you not want to be counted? The info is all confidential (and there's really nothing much on there anyway, even if it were to get out).
For folks that are fortunate enough to have multiple residences, it gets somewhat tiring to fill out several census forms and it doesn't make much sense for individuals to be counted numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They only let you fill in one box on the ethnicity unless you want to write stuff in.
That's not entirely correct. Since the 2000 Census, folks are allowed to select one or more boxes when it comes to describing their race/ethnicity.
CensusScope -- Multiracial Population Statistics

Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
Re: multiple residences - I don't think you're supposed to be counted in more than one place. I think technically you're supposed to report where you were living on 4/1/2010 (that would be a regular domicile, not a vacation residence if it's not your domicile - if you had two places where you spend 6 months each year, I'd report wherever you were on April 1st). I think - but you can ask a census worker how to handle that situation.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,903 times
I wonder why don't they obtain the info from the IRS? Or is inter-departmental communication still too much to ask...?

I'm also wondering if the racial profiling in the census forms helps to obtain more funding.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM

139 posts, read 441,268 times
Uncle Sam does require you to fill out the census form or they will send someone out to make sure you do. Sort of like not showing up for jury duty.

I don't believe the boo boo about "funding" for all who do fill out the census. It's not like the government mails you a personal check. All they do is give a block grant to the city for them to squander the loot.

I can understand the government wanting to know the racial/ethnic, gender and age makeup of it's population. Every nation on earth pretty much keeps those statistics on their populations but they should leave out the bribes about missing out on federal money. That's a bogus claim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii