Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 PM

94 posts, read 318,919 times

Advertisements

I have no idea about cheating, but a long distance relationship is just so hard. You say you'll talk every day, or whatever, but it just isn't the same as having physical closeness.

I would do everything in my power to go with him, or failing that, find somewhere that you can move together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 PM

42 posts, read 131,095 times
So when I originally posted this thread I was asking about some advice for my husband about apartments and such. I appreciate people responding to my messages and wanting to give advice but I wasn't asking for advice on my marriage. I think this thread got a little out of hand and went too deep into somewhere it shouldn't have. Sure it will be very difficult being apart for so long but I know my marriage and I know my husband and if we thought this wasn't a good idea then we wouldn't have made this decision. Times are tough right now and you have to do what you have to do to secure a future and pay your bills. If you dont have trust in your partner then you shouldn't be married! In due time I hope that I will be in Hawaii with him and can share some amazing stories about our journey. If anyone has any advice or any information (besides cheating, marriage etc.) that could help him it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:06 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
If you were only asking about places for your husband in your post all the "additional" information you voluntarily put is what influenced some of the responses.

I don't believe anyone meant to step on your nerve. Honest advice from experienced people IMO.

You are posting on a public open Internet forum and you should be prepared to get a variety of responses. If you feel that some of the responses crossed the line please report it to a moderator (I say this with all sincerity).

Just because this is the Hawaii forum doesn't mean all the responses will be paradise.

Good-luck to you

Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 AM

I understand that I am posting to a public forum but others went off on a different direction then what was being asked basically stating that he would cheat or everyone cheats when they leave their spouse and go to Hawaii. Yes it is nice to hear others concerns and their experiences but it just kept going and I was hoping to get more answers or help with his move more than advice on whether or not to go with him so he doesn't cheat. Tyvin I am not angry by any means that people posted their concerns or experiences and lol will not complain to a moderator. I just wanted to state the thread was going off on a different direction then what I was asking for. thanks for your response and welcome advice to the move.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
You are right Jenie24, the thread was turning into a "he'll cheat on you" forum. One postings with this sentiment would have been ok but I personally got tired of reading it over and over again.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 141,114 times
Well, let's put all that aside, we are waiting for some good news and good stories about two more happy people in Hawaii

Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,884 times
you might be surprised how easy it may be for you to find a job in Hawai'i, they have a nice uneployment rate. Even in times the country is unaveragly struggling, the islands have jobs available. If one of you is already employed, the other may find work there faster than you did on the mainland! that aside, i would love to offer info on housing, but I live on Big Island, the housing prices/situations/etc are drastically different there so it would only be confusing. My advice to your husband is be friendly and respectful. he will find friends, happiness and security if he goes into it with the right attitude. it's been my expirience that people who move there without a lot of knowledge on the place usually have a shell shocked rude attitude and you really get what you put in. in their case, you get locals being mean to you because you gave the stink eye first. the worst way you can start a sentence is "well, back on the mainland..." insert something that is better or more efficient, and people think "well why don't you just go back if it's so much better". He should be open to learning and expiriencing. He should go into it knowing that things are different there. businesses work different, people have a different culture and mindset, cities operate differently. I don't think there is a better thing you can take to Hawai'i on a move than a good attitude and mindset, even over money or shelter; an attitude can make a move much more successful no matter what you don't have going into it.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM

Galactastica thanks for the advice. I have read a lot on the Hawaii forum and everyone says have a good attitude. He is really excited about starting a new job especially a government one and he is a very easy going guy who gets along with just about everyone and seems to fit in pretty easy. I guess its better that he will go first because he seems to settle in a lot easier than I do to new places so he can get situated for us lol. Thats interesting about the jobs about getting a job fast there. I have been applying for jobs that open at the base he will be working at and looking for jobs in the area. I am sure once he starts working it will be easier for me to find work and he may meet people that may need someone. I do administrative assistant or any office work so there always seems to be a need for those jobs. I will keep everyone posted on his move!!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM

25 posts, read 79,919 times
I wish you and your husband all the best! If he winds up renting in Kailu or Kaneohe, I know a lot of folks would enjoy hearing any small detail of life there! Our pets can officially fly out soon, and I am counting the days! And keep posting about any job hunting you are doing remotely, I'm in the same boat! We might have tips for each other!
Aloha!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 866 times
The local newspaper (Maui News) is the best way to look for jobs and housing. Although Craigs List is good as well. It is another beautiful day in paradise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii