U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM

38,883 posts, read 24,539,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
(continue from last post)

in 1976 the min wage was 2.40hr
in 1988 the min wage was 3.85hr
Today 7.25hr almost twice it was 30 years ago.

But sale have been setting record highs the last year and compaired to 30years ago the price of goods has skyrocketted for example. In 1970s the bus cost .10, 1980 .25, today 2.50. Gal of milk 1980s $2.50 today $9.00. Pack of cigarettes 1970s $1.25, today $10.00. The shipping distance is the same.

Taxes etc: Well even back in 1970s Hawai'i has always had the highest taxes for business.

Their are many factors to why things are more expensive. Its really hard to compare Hawai'i cost for food etc from past to current because Hawai'i unlike other states didn't keep records of prices that far back. Mahalo.
Aren't super markets Union?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:11 PM

10,861 posts, read 14,134,779 times
Quote:
The point being the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer
Ever hear of capitalism - where else in the US is this utopia that Hawaii seems to be not a part of?

Anyway - you've inspired me, time for a dip in the pool before the rain comes tonight.

Last edited by whtviper1; 01-05-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM

431 posts, read 860,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Foodland workers belong to a union, I believe. Having belonged to unions for most of my life, I can say that there are unions and there are UNIONS and the unions here are among some of the lamest I've ever seen (dockworkers notwithstanding).
Being part of a union doesn't necessarily confer great working conditions.
I was wondering if Foodland does what many businesses do here to avoid paying for benefits---hire part-time workers almost exclusively.
Checked the job openings at Foodland. What a surprise.

Open Jobs | Foodland

Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM

10,861 posts, read 14,134,779 times
Hiring part time workers to avoid giving benefits is hardly unique to Hawaii.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,861,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I agree with PaliPatty, overall, collectively unions have never been more weak then present day.

@OpenD Im sorry bruddah I was thinking about your last argument and I have to agree with you. I believe to a point we are all right. Most everything we have talked about contributes to the problem and issue of high cost of living in some way.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I agree with PaliPatty, overall, collectively unions have never been more weak then present day.

@OpenD Im sorry bruddah I was thinking about your last argument and I have to agree with you. I believe to a point we are all right. Most everything we have talked about contributes to the problem and issue of high cost of living in some way.
Yes, union's in Hawaii are nothing more than an eviscerated shell of their former glory.

Your worried about evil capitalism!?

LOL. Watch out for the gov't creeping up your okole, AND their unions.

Who do you think is paying for 3 weeks sick, 3 weeks vacation, high three retirement, life time medical for member AND their spouse?

I'm not about to go looking it up...... but I believe the biggest business in Hawaii IS the government. It's a great circular feeding frenzy between government and the unions and I'm not entirely sure, who is who's pet. You don't get elected without union support, and once you are it's time for paybacks in the form of benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting my pension from the state government, and hubby will be getting a REALLY nice one, along with life time medical.

Thanks to all the kids who will be paying for it!!! It's nice to be retired before 50!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 PM

431 posts, read 860,222 times
Nothing but NOTHING can compare with old-time government union benefits.
But even those are crumbling---you may have nice bennies but how about those in the lower tiers?
No, they are not what they used to be, anywhere in this country.
I'm happy for you and yours and I hope your joy lasts---I am a firm believer in contracts being honored and think it's criminal when they're not.
Things look a little shaky for those coming up, though:

Hawaii leads nation in per-capita debt for unfunded union benefits | Hawaii Reporter

Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,861,569 times
@Mikala43*

Im not screaming be afraid of evil capitalism. For I believe in capitalism and profit. What the problem with capitalism today isn't profit, but a new way of thinking about business vs the past. Todays thinking is get as much profit as possible even if it hurts other, where in the past profits were important but equally important was the responsibility to the communities and employees. Back then their was far more local business owners who lived in the same communities they did business. For the most part understood the needs of the communitie they lived in. Today most business in Hawaii is owned by foreigners not attached to local communities nor effected by the needs, what is most important is the bottom line profits and investors.

In the 70s and 80s, there was retirement benifits too. I believe everyone is right about their assessment on why things cost so much, each thing mentioned contributes to the problem. I personally hate greed, And in todays society anything is never enough.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Please don't get me wrong. I think the government benefits are criminal. I think they are raping and pillaging the constituents. I just made sure they bought me dinner first.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
@Mikala43*

Im not screaming be afraid of evil capitalism. For I believe in capitalism and profit. What the problem with capitalism today isn't profit, but a new way of thinking about business vs the past. Todays thinking is get as much profit as possible even if it hurts other, where in the past profits were important but equally important was the responsibility to the communities and employees. Back then their was far more local business owners who lived in the same communities they did business. For the most part understood the needs of the communitie they lived in. Today most business in Hawaii is owned by foreigners not attached to local communities nor effected by the needs, what is most important is the bottom line profits and investors.

In the 70s and 80s, there was retirement benifits too. I believe everyone is right about their assessment on why things cost so much, each thing mentioned contributes to the problem. I personally hate greed, And in todays society anything is never enough.
Have you ever tried to run a mom n pop in Hawaii? It's the government that ran them out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii