U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 PM

160 posts, read 420,182 times

Advertisements

I came here about 3 years ago now looking for advice on moving here to Hawaii. I got plenty of great info from you guys, but one thing I never though to ask was how the internet service was out here in the boodocks! Took me about a year to even find a cell phone that worked on our property much less any kind of internet. No dsl, no cable, yeesh, Im cringing as Im looking at my internet speed now.
Funny when I come back I see someone else posting about moving from indiana to Hawaii. Yes I left indiana uncapitalized for a reason, its the pits! But I wanted to come back and say mahalo to all for the great advice and honesty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 04:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,139,541 times
Welcome, glad you're here in Hawaii. Where did you you settle?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

3,754 posts, read 9,373,369 times
There's always satellite internet. Pricey, but if it is all you can get... hughesnet.com

Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 PM

9,175 posts, read 17,533,913 times
Actually, satellite doesn't work at my friend's house. They tried to get it but for some reason they weren't able to. Guess I should ask them next time if it was for reasons other than price.

Aren't the computers at the library fairly fast? Although they don't let you put anything into them but if you are going online, then that might not be a problem.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM

160 posts, read 420,182 times
Mountain View would be my closest library and they are set for a one hour time limit. Doesn't matter if there's no one waiting, the comp automatically kicks you off. You'd be lucky if your email even loaded in the hour they give you. Plus, it's at the back of the school, and it seems when I go there I always run into someone who thinks I'm some sort of "traitor" for pulling my kids out of the place.

Hughes net.....I was thinking about it. What they advertise on the net is not their true prices, because they don't include the shipping of equip to Hawaii. So its $800 installation with a $100 rebate, then you have the monthly cost, starts at $60 I think, for what is little better than dial up. Even that would have been better than nothing, but the fine print disclaimer, we do not guarantee any speed, and there is a 24 month commitment and a fee for terminating early, um, are they completely lolo? Or assume we all are? You could very well end up paying aprox $2200 (if my math is right) for something that wont work! Had to pass on that one. Ended up going with the Mobi mobile, although their cute little usb plug in doesn't work at all here, the more expensive one I can put above the tree line does.

Balad, apparently I am in the biggest ghetto in the state, Fern Forest, lol. Although I don't like the area I'm in especially, I still wouldn't go back to the mainland. Questionable part of Hawaii beats the midwest I came from any day.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,903,760 times
I had to move from my old house in Kauai because I could not get any cell phone reception. It was horrible, so I REALLY feel for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii