Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM

138 posts, read 353,673 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what it's like traveling, vacationing between islands once your living there. After reading a couple of threads I'm getting the impression that traveling to another island is almost as expensive, cumbersome as traveling from the mainland to that island or is "popping" over to Oahu from the Big Island for the weekend a pretty "painless" trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM

649 posts, read 3,435,424 times
It's certainly easier and quicker than going to the mainland! But you do have to fly, so you have to deal with airfare, baggage costs (if any), bringing limited stuff, hotels, renting a car, etc. Still, I take my son to swim meets on other islands a few times/year, it's reasonable to go for just 2-3 days - or even one day, for business. I sometimes fly (from Kauai) to Oahu for a day-long conference or business meeting. Fly over in the a.m., get the Reliable Shuttle ($18 round trip from/to airport, no worry about parking) to wherever I'm going, do the do, shuttle back, home around dinner time (or later if I want).

Vacations to other islands are great. I love going to the Big Island, Oahu not so much (but we're going this weekend for a 2-day meet, with Friday to just "play" as a family). Hope to make it to Maui soon.

Going to/from the mainland is a pain. I went to Atlanta last week, had bad jet lag both ways, and caught a nasty cold (after two years sickness-free here on Kauai). Everybody's in a rush over there, the people all look the same, and there's no musubi. Subway delays. Closed-toe shoes. Traffic jams. Yuck. Glad to be home.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM

682 posts, read 2,785,366 times
Compared with going to the mainland, trips to other islands are quick, easy, and (relatively) inexpensive.

Good things: It takes a lot fewer frequent flier miles to get inter-island flights. A couple of mainland trips is enough to get them. So we can often travel with miles.

In Honolulu, Hawaiian Airlines has its own terminal and commuter flights are in yet another one. They are smaller and more low-key. It's not as time-consuming to get through security and so on.

The flights are short... 20 or 30 minutes, compared with 5-6 hours to get to the mainland.

In the two years that I've been here, I have day-tripped to Maui for work, spent a weekend on Kauai, spent a weekend on Molokai (partly for work), and spent a week on Maui.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

ok, awesome. only 2 1/2 weeks to go

Old 04-21-2010, 12:24 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,013,910 times
Traveling from Oahu to the other major islands isn't a big deal or that expensive ($100- R/T). Now traveling from Kauai to the Big Island is another story. Most all flights connect through Honolulu and the price is double the one island hops ($200+ R/T).

Old 04-21-2010, 12:44 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,454,353 times
You would be surprised at how many people commute from one island to another.
My former manager commuted 3-4x per week from Honolulu to Hilo.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,403,959 times
I'm hoping to do some trips. I got the Bank of Hawaii debit card that gives you 1 Hawaiian Airlines mile per $2 you spend. Seems too good to be true considering how short the flights are... But we'll see.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 AM

737 posts, read 1,455,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
You would be surprised at how many people commute from one island to another.
My former manager commuted 3-4x per week from Honolulu to Hilo.
Very true. One of the GC's that I worked under commuted 5 days a week from HNL to KOA and back He loved it. Imagine all the miles he gets...

Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 AM

Since I have to work for a living and pay my own way, I don't think I'll be doing the 3-4 times a week. But since I telecommute I'd like to be able to do a trip once every couple of months just to explore.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 112,206 times
I believe sweetbeet means that everyone has the same expression, that there are so many people their individuality doesn't shine through, not that they all seem to look the same actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii