Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
What do you mean by starting over? What kind of jobs ARE available? thanks

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:17 AM

376 posts, read 489,978 times
Thumbs down Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
There were 23 postings. This is compared to the over 5000 in the phoenix area. (At times into the 5 digits)
It seems I will need to bring a job with me.
Thanks for the link.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
There were 23 postings.
Try again on Sunday. Should be more.

Hank

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Smile well-

Quote:
What do you mean by starting over? What kind of jobs ARE available? thanks
I am not an expert but there should be a lot of hotel concierge type jobs. We stayed at the Ohana East and the servers there can make good tips- Also the Ka'napali resort. If you are young you may be fine with that job. (I am older, lol- unfortunately)

Maui was also very beautiful but to live there the only jobs would be service type jobs (not high paying)

But go for it- It is definitely worth seeing at least twice!!!

sunny

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
Default Very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
I actually never understood the "far away" belief. When I lived in California I never drove farther than Las Vegas. This took about 7 hours. I can fly to Las Vegas from Maui in five hours.

Its true you can't just get in your car and drive for hours when you live on an island but I know few people who do that on the mainland. Most people who have to travel any major distance on the mainland will fly.

Its all mental in my opinion. Logically speaking, by plane or by car its all equal.

If I feel the need for a "quick" trip to go somewhere else, for $20 bucks and 25 minutes, I can go to Oahu and spend the weekend.

Also when you live in the most beautiful place on earth you don't feel the need to "get out of here" like you do on the mainland. After 2 days in Los Angeles I can't wait to leave.
You are so right about that. It is mental. I used to suffer from that mental thing about not wanting to live too far from anywhere. And then if I look at what I do on a regular basis (like most people), I go to work, go home and maybe on the weekends, i'll venture out a little bit. But generally speaking, I don't think I travel more than 50 miles away from home. And when I do, it's usually by plane on vacation. Gosh, I haven't even been back to NY in over a year and it's only a 2 hr plane ride from where I am now.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
Hawaii 111 people per square mile
Illinois 214 people per square mile
USA as a whole 31 people per square mile

If you ask me, and I've never been there, Hawaii is dense and heavily populated compared to the overall density of the United States.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,352 times
Your not taking into consideration the thousands upon thousands of miles of desert, ice, swamp and unliveable spaces in the United States (i.e. national parks, commercial properties, etc.).

Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
What I tell people about Hawaii is that it's like no other place on earth and if you haven't been to Hawaii you have no frame of reference. I tell them that...although it's officially a part of the USA, it's basically it's own counrty. I think it's the fact that it's so different is what either makes people stay or makes them leave...more than housing, cost of living and lack of jobs. People go through culture shock.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:01 PM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
I don;t think the unusable space in all of the US is equal to 75% of the continent. To get the 31 people per square mile up to the same level as Hawaii's 111. The reasoning is in order to increase the density, you either need less ground or more people. I guess 25% of the country is useless, I don;t know about the democrats.

I'm not going to argue. Hawaii has plenty of room for another 5 million people or so without adding to the already cramped, and overburdened environment of the islands. If you leave now, you may make in time for the hurricane.

The other route I can take is to just say o.k., how about 62 people per square mile on the mainland. That would either adjust the land mass to 1/2 it's posted size or I can double the posted number of people.

I'll just stand by what I said earlier....

Enjoy!

Last edited by thepizzaguy; 08-13-2007 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,510 times
It probably has a lot to do with high housing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii