U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,350 times
HumboldtParkShiner- thats totally cool that yu wanna come and learn about r culture. i gotta say that the polynesian cultures are one of the most diverse and beautiful in the world. ill b honest, there will b a few people that will try to dicourage u, and say yu dont belong here n thats its none of your busniess. but most of us will b glad to teach you cultural things. like theres the polynesian culture center, and there are lo'i patches and fish ponds with uncles who teach you hawaiian traditions and stuff. and the tiki stuff? thats like, ancient hawaii. they represented the hawaiian gods long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

in past generations racism was a lot worse then it is today because r grandparents grew up having to hide their cultures. hawaiian was banned from classrooms streets everything. anything of our culture was illegal everywhere. for us, a people who r so connected to our land and ancestors, taking us from our roots is the worst thing you can do. bak then white people didnt just take jobs and stuff. they took r land, r queen, r strength. all we had left was r heritage. so befor, yes. locals were very mad. but now is a new time n racism is not as bad. humboldtparkshiner, come to hawaii and see for yur self

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM

918 posts, read 977,747 times
Is this for real? someone came out and showed how racist the attitude will be towards you if you don't kiss their ass and people are siding with them? Blaming the haole for everything and forgetting to mention the Japanese, Chinese, Micronesians, Tongans, Samoans, Filipinos, and everyone else who is moving to the islands and taking jobs/houses/land as well. Was it american money that drove up the housing prices in the 80's during the previous bubble? Nope... it was Japanese money. Who has the highest incomes in Hawaii?? Is the the haoles?? Wrong again. Caucasians make up only about 20% of the population. The irony of this thread is almost too much for me to take.

I appreciate the honesty the first post and it is a crime that so many Hawaiians are homeless in their homeland... but make no mistake, I don't agree with the stereotyping that is included. If someone in Arizona said the same thing about mexicans moving to their state they would be called racist and people would be jumping down their throat... and rightfully so.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 AM

820 posts, read 1,736,181 times
2008 stats say just a shade under 25% for "white persons not Hispanic"
Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Homeownership by race, 2008:
67.3% Asian or Pacific Islander
54% White, non-Hispanic
36.1% Hispanic
29% Black
from here: www.freddiemac.com/corporate/about/pdf/ (broken link)Hawaii.pdf

According to Forbes, Hawaii is the nation's only majority-Asian state.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:23 AM

huh, i kno its maddening but honestly the truth of the matter is that most of the racism is pointed towards caucasians. n this is statistics updated this year by the census...

white: 294,102 (24.3%);
Black: 22,003 (1.8%);
Asian: 503,868 (41.6%);
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 113,539 (9.4%);
Hispanic/Latino: 87,699 (7.2%). 2000

yes, there are more asians here than caucasians but most of them r so local that they practically fit in here. those that are fresh off the boat from asia do suffer some racism sadly at times. asians are practically part of our culture in a way, and all the other polynesians don't count. hawaii is part of the polynesian triangle. we're all kinda like family so polynesians live all over in the pacific.

im not justifying what some locals feel towards some white people. but im am being honest. to them its like. you took our land. thats in the past yes, n im glad we're part of the US but some people jus have bad experiences with white people who are jerks and think all white people are like that.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,900,704 times
Sometimes its the asians doing the racisim. Sometimes its some other pacific islander doing the racisim, Sometimes its another nationality that has nothing to do with the pacific but they "look" non white so they are lumped together with "locals". Sometimes a "pacific islander/asisan will act a certain way and is accused of racisim and a local 2nd generation born and raise Hawaiian white will do the exact same thing but nobody calls the race issue because, well they are white.

The real racisim on hawaii is not taking the time to call an a-hole a a-hole but instead belive that it is because of race. I mean how many of you can tell a local Hawaiian from any of the other dozens of asian and other pacific islands? How many of you canb tell if the person is a resident of Hawaii or not just some off the plane tourist? Can you even tell the difference between a Samoan who lived on hawaii for 10 years and a Guamanian who is visiting, or are they all the same to you? Can you really tell if the person is a local or not based only on some glancing negative facial expression, or are these people all the same to you? I bet if they all seem the same to you it has nothing to do with the person, their nationality, or their resident status, and everything to do with their racial makeup. Now tell me, who's the real racist?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM

have you ever gone through racism?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM

229 posts, read 541,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
If by "gone through" you mean have I experienced it, then yes. Being brown doesn't give you a monopoly on experiencing racial prejudice. I'm a little white lady of eastern European ancestry who used to work in the Cass Corridor in Detroit. And I have experienced prejudice based on my size, my gender, my religion, my culture, my education and my socio-economic status.

And I would be willing to bet that every person here has been on the receiving end of prejudice of some kind.

My personal technique for dealing with it is to respond to negative attitudes with a peaceful, friendly spirit and a smile. It takes a lot of work for somebody to be nasty to me when I don't get mad about it and confirm their own prejudices about me. Eventually they just get tired and leave me alone.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM

820 posts, read 1,736,181 times
I think we've all experienced racism, from one side or the other. Or perhaps a better way to say it would be that we've all experienced bias. Race, gender, religion, weight, fitness or prowess...

People think I'm Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander. I'm not. In California people thought I could be Latino. I'm not. It was startling to me to be on the other side of the coin when I moved here. I never knew how much I was being treated like a minority until I became the majority. I think the same thing happens in reverse. People who are used to being the majority are startled to be in a place where they are the minority. It's weird, and unsettling.

Probably in most instances where someone who was used to being majority then finds themselves being a minority...well, usually they don't like "those parts of town" or those areas of the country...they don't go there, or if they do it's in a hurry or for short stints. But of course people want to come to Hawaii. It has the draw of being a great place to vacation and (for many) a great place to live. So now there's a place where people want to be, but feel unsettled.

Everyone has biases, and if you think you don't you may not be fully aware of the ones you have, or you are a very rare person. Yes, Hawaii is less PC, politically correct, then most places I've been in CA (sorry, only have there to compare). People here joke about race, sex, religion, handicapped, whatever. People here also grumble about others and will mention those same things too. Yes, there is hate, and anger, but I'm not sure it exists here any more than in other places. It could be more openly expressed, or maybe more casually expressed. That doesn't make it more prevalent. Nor does it make it right.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,900,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
Oh yes, the biggest one was in Seattle when I nearly got by but kick by some guy who had just went through a whole rant over foreigners taking american jobs and when he asked me what I thought and I answered, he went from white to red. And it got worst when the target of his hatered started speaking with his 3rd generation Texas drawl. That person thought i was the good old american white and my friend some wet back illegal. So not only did he want to throw me through the window, but his new flound hatered of me was based on my accent and HE accuse me of being some mixed blood scum. Up until i spoke, I was good old whitey.

Never had anything like that happen on Hawaii. I have had the stink eye, but was it from race or something i did. If i cut into a line, I would think I would get the stinkeye regardless of my skin color and they would give the stinkeyye regardless of their skin color. But if the only reason a person think they got the stinkeye was because of race, that belief is racisim.

I think as others have said, racisim is thrown around too much to cover simple prejudices that have nothing to do with race. You see this most often when two people do and say the exact same thing, but the person of same color skin isn't seen as doing it because of race, but if the skin color of the other person is diffrent, that person is doing it because they are racist aginst whites. I will say it agin, IT'S NOT YOUR SKIN COLOR, IT'S YOU BEING A SIMPLE ASS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii