Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

361 posts, read 1,084,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
HumboldtParkShiner- thats totally cool that yu wanna come and learn about r culture. i gotta say that the polynesian cultures are one of the most diverse and beautiful in the world. ill b honest, there will b a few people that will try to dicourage u, and say yu dont belong here n thats its none of your busniess. but most of us will b glad to teach you cultural things. like theres the polynesian culture center, and there are lo'i patches and fish ponds with uncles who teach you hawaiian traditions and stuff. and the tiki stuff? thats like, ancient hawaii. they represented the hawaiian gods long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
in past generations racism was a lot worse then it is today because r grandparents grew up having to hide their cultures. hawaiian was banned from classrooms streets everything. anything of our culture was illegal everywhere. for us, a people who r so connected to our land and ancestors, taking us from our roots is the worst thing you can do. bak then white people didnt just take jobs and stuff. they took r land, r queen, r strength. all we had left was r heritage. so befor, yes. locals were very mad. but now is a new time n racism is not as bad. humboldtparkshiner, come to hawaii and see for yur self

thanks alot bro. good to know. once i get the correct amount of money saved up i plan on doing a huge backpacking trip from hawaii through all the polynesian islands, down into New Zealand and possibly even Australia. just roughin it out and experiencing some of the fascinating polynesian culture first hand. when i am in hawaii i will definitely be checking out the references u gave me, sounds right up my alley. it's good to hear the hawaiian culture and aloha spirit lives on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

52 posts, read 207,963 times
I lived on Long Island NY for over 40 years and racism as we all know exists all over for everybody.. Parents taught their children not to have anything to do with "colors other than white"Schools and businesses alike fostered it and the beat went on and on.............. I needed to move on and finally in my 40's I felt the itch to go seek what the rest of the world was up to,hungry to learn about everybody. I first moved to the Carolinas . I met most of my true friends here . They did not care if I was white or pink etc. Racism here consisted of a strong north/south mentality. It was most obvious in the workplace. At the time alot of so called northerners moved to start a new life for all different reasons . Houses cropped up everywhere. Some attitudes came to that should of been buried years ago,none the less I was very aware of this line drawn in the soil. I still managed to make alot of so called southerners as reallly true wonderful friends.. A job offer arrived and my family and I had to move to Florida.We moved to an area that is considered horse country ,bought a farm and a few horses too. Whites and spanish speaking people issues here too.We lost the farm had to move ,next place AZ guess what? Whites and Mexicans ungoing horrible racism . It made life so darn miserable we quit our jobs and decided that this last move in our lives to Hawaii made sense after a job offer for husband came about as we knew in our hearts this would put us where we hope to be at retirement.I am not employed. I was injured in an accident on AZ and people who hit me under insured . To make this story short we are still drowning in medical bills and I will never be the same again as it left me disabled but very glad to be alive. With this came a clearing in my thoughts that nothing anyone tries to do to me will ever change who I am and if someone does not like my pink skin they can just turn their thoughts elsewhere and not busy themselves with me.My family and I hope to make some good friends here . I have much to learn and eager to explore.

Last edited by dianer29; 04-27-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,970 times
Thumbs up Lucky, I guess.

I suppose I just grew up ignorant and/or naive to the entire 'racism' problems.
I grew up in So. California in an extremely diverse community. Never had any problems or heard of any problems. So, I suppose that's why I never considered it a problem in my life. Just grew up 'trained' that we were all just brothers and sisters. Never even considered 'color' as an option to anything.
So, like I said, guess I was just lucky...
Koale

Old 04-27-2010, 10:35 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I suppose I just grew up ignorant and/or naive to the entire 'racism' problems.
I grew up in So. California in an extremely diverse community. Never had any problems or heard of any problems. So, I suppose that's why I never considered it a problem in my life. Just grew up 'trained' that we were all just brothers and sisters. Never even considered 'color' as an option to anything.
So, like I said, guess I was just lucky...
Koale
Wonder where Glendora maybe? Iʻm like you its not a issue in my life I donʻt judge like that

Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 AM

52 posts, read 207,963 times
I have broken the mold . My children know better and for this I am proud of them.It was hard moving constantly with them but it is all for the better. They learned early on valuable lessons . They know to treat someone how they want to be treated. Respect is not an option,lack of respect is not tolerated.Everyone deserves a chance in life it is so sad that the racism continues on in so many peoples lives. Ask yourself if you needed a organ transplant to live would you reject one based on someone's packaging?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I think as others have said, racisim is thrown around too much to cover simple prejudices that have nothing to do with race. You see this most often when two people do and say the exact same thing, but the person of same color skin isn't seen as doing it because of race, but if the skin color of the other person is diffrent, that person is doing it because they are racist aginst whites. I will say it agin, IT'S NOT YOUR SKIN COLOR, IT'S YOU BEING A SIMPLE ASS!
THis seems real accurate.

I'm a haole/white guy who has lived in Japan/Korea for about a decade total.

Time and time again, I constantly hear about all of the racist Koreans and racist Japanese. Some expats (of whatever color - white, black, other asian ethnicity, etc.) sometimes experience things everytime they step outside of their apartments here in northeast asia.

For me, while I occassionally get something obvious...it is so minor...usually the type of thing I'd get from some white guy back in MI if we were both there...but in MI, I'd quickly throw the 'jerk' label on them and write it off.

It's also interesting the various personalities people have. There are certain people that just aren't likeable...if they are suddenly of a minority, then they can describe the reason they aren't liked as a racial reason....whereas me being white and them being white...I know they'd have the same 'issues/problems' 'back home' just the same within their own ethnicity.

I've never lived in Hawaii...but I have been there a couple times for a month at a time. There are certainly some people I avoid...just because y'never know. It's also interesting in that if I were a predominate white environment...there are also certain groups of whites I see, that I'd also not want to trespass or get too involved with if I don't have to either. Even moreso if I'm white and I happen to be on the streets of a predominate poor black neighborhood with a lot of our black/white racial tensions on the mainland - (I grew up near Detroit)...

Anyways, I've yet to experience the 'haole' experience in Hawaii full-on. But, hoping I have all the right experiences/characteristics to deal with whatever might come up properly...

I also wonder if being a grown adult helps out quite a bit. I lived in NYC in my mid-20s...and felt generally racist-free to me, especially comapared to Michigan (more segregated in MI). But many NYers I knew who grew up in NY and went through the public schools, quickly said how wrong I was - apparently strong racial divisions in the high schools, and such in NYC (or so they often said).

(Not that I was incident free in NYC, but generally felt MUCH better than Detroit area anyways. Incidentally I've experienced a lot more 'racist' on the mainland US being a majority white than I have in Asia as a minority white!)

For me, my wife is asian, my kid is half-asian, and lived in asia for years....so if my wife and I make the move to Honolulu...seems like it'll be just fine for my kid (which seems like it might be most crucial issue)...and for myself as an adult with a lot of 'minority' experience already....probably fine for me too!

But, anyways, I like what you said about the 'ass' being an 'ass', etc. (As an aside, I'm not discounting real racial issues, but so many of them are just jerks being jerks out there).

Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
I wonder why the OP thinks that locals' money is being used to build hotels, when in reality this state's economic survival DEPENDS on tourism.

I don't think the nationalistic type folks realize that if it weren't for all these haoles, good and bad alike, and statehood for that matter, Hawaii would be a third world country. Not only do we have little in the way of natural resources, but we are extremely isolated.

Don't believe me? Go to the poor rural neighborhoods that are haole-free and hotel-free.

So forget racism. That isn't the issue and it really seems like hardly anybody is even slightly racist. The problem is just lack of perspective

Last edited by winkosmosis; 04-30-2010 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
BTW from what I've seen, Pacific Islanders (judging by their polynesian tattoos, so don't get mad Pacificflights), treat local whites like their own people, not like "haoles"

Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
Iʻm a caucasian-mix male born in 1986 and raised in Makaha and then Nanakuli. I love Hawai‘i. I love Wai‘anae. But I can tell you without a doubt that I grew up with - and still experience - anti-white racism. I have a ton of friends. I am a nice guy who doesnʻt invite trouble and aims to please. I am respected by people in the community that matter. But there is and always will be racial undertones to many conversations, many activities, and many actions that goes beyond simply recognizing oneʻs uniqueness and the differences of others.

As a kid I was called "haole" by people who didnʻt know the meaning of the word. As an adult I get called "haole" by people who donʻt know I grew up in Wai‘anae and graduated from Wai‘anae High School and live and work in Wai‘anae. Sometimes this is from people who have a problem with me, or tease me under their breath. But sometimes it is to my face and in the spirit of aggression and malevolence.

When I was a kid I wished with every fiber of my being to be Hawaiian, or just to be thought of as cool to them. People would tell me, "You neva goin hook up with one killah hawaiian chick," or "Stop trying for sing, you not hawaiian," or "Go home you dumb haole." Seriously, Iʻm not exaggerating. I never went to private schools, I never was rich, and I was born and raised in the community. But I got it. And I know a lot of "white" people, many of whom were like me and not even completely euro-caucasian, who got it much worse than I did. I just learned early how to avoid fights by talking my way out of situations, making the right friends, and running faster than anyone who was chasing me.

That said, not every time I get called "haole" is by someone who has something against me. I get called that by friends who just like to toss the word around and make fun. This, I have little issue with, but the fact still remains that the racism is there, alive and well. Maybe itʻs swept under the rug, because in most places itʻs not PC to say or do in the anti-white spirit, but it is there.

I find that the people who treat me or speak to me as if I am below them or not entitled to the opinions or privileges of true Hawaiians, are of all ages AND races. Many are not Hawaiian themselves, but just seek to bring others down in the same way they have felt brought down. Iʻve been discriminated against as recently as a few months ago by teenagers at the beach, and by old timers and people that idolize them who feel I am not worthy of some of the good things in life that they themselves enjoy. And many many people are just plain ignorant. They donʻt know any better, and so they latch on to the beliefs and habits and ideas of people they look up to or want approval from.

For some itʻs based on racial trauma that was inflicted before I was born or my parents stepped foot on O‘ahu. For others, its just how their parents feel and thus, what they think is okay.

But when itʻs all said and done, I am a happy person, loved by many, and accepted as a local who has something to say and the ability to contribute to my community. The people who love me are the ones that matter and know that my skin color means nothing next to what I can do, and what we can do together.

Like any place (any outer island, Wai‘anae, Hawai‘i Kai, Lā‘ie, Town, anywhere) you will have bad apples. YOU WILL have people who refuse to look past skin color. Itʻs inevitable, and it is not as much regional as it is cultural (upbringing, philosophy, experience). So you either learn to rise above it like I and many other people have, or let it crush you, and chase you away, back to where ever your people are from.

AND BTW, white people arenʻt the only ones that get discriminated against, because discrimination and stereotyping is damn-near subconscious in many peoplesʻ lives. EVERYONE is stereotyped... whether youʻre white, black, japanese, chinese, korean, filipino, hawaiian, samoan, tongan, maori, mexican, puerto rican, indonesian, chamorro, or male or female or transgendered or young or old or from makaha or mililani or kaneohe or moloka‘i or hana, maui or lana‘i or hilo or kona. Itʻs human.

And I think the ones that get it the worst these days are micronesians. Just saying.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

124 posts, read 430,584 times
From the perspective of Oahu, I think Wai'anaeGrad04 sums up the
situation rather well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii