Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,487 times

Advertisements

I'll have a couple months off between jobs this year (mid-August to mid-October) and right now I'm thinking about spending that time in Hawaii. I've got a while to plan but thought I'd try to start figuring some things out now. Should I sublet a place on one island for the whole time? Should I sublet on one island for one month and another island for another month? Either way, which island(s) and city(ies) should I pick? If I stay on one island, would it be feasible and worth it to buy a crappy truck and pawn it off when I leave?

A few things about me: I'm 26, caucasian, I want to buy a surfboard, learn to surf, and surf every day, I love hiking (especially overnights) and want to get in a lot of hikes in different national parks, I'd like to be in a neighborhood(s) with other people my age, I don't know anyone here, and I have at least one set of friends who wants to visit Hawaii for a week or two while I'm planning to be out there. I'm not looking to live lavishly but money's not much of a problem.

Any advice would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,174,884 times
Are you going to go alone? Just have a few visitors? I really like staying at one place at a time, not island hopping or even changing places on one island. Depends on what you really want to do. I see you mentioned surfing so that's a good start. Find the surf areas you want to try and then look for lodging. Personally I rent a house (and don't surf), but you may not like the isolation of that.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,344,280 times
Summer is pretty flat for surfing but if you love this, spend a few weeks on Oahu. For the best of pretty much everything else plus a little surfing, come to Big Island. You'll o.d. on hiking here. And Kauai has beautiful places to hike as well. However that said, PLEASE do not go hiking alone. We lose a few tourists every year that way. Depending on your budget, look for B&Bs or vacation rental by owner sites. Those months are our low season except for Kona the first 2 weeks of October which is Ironman. Have a good time, be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii