U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

63 posts, read 154,616 times
Default Is the Aloha Spirit Still Alive in Hawaii?

Ohio Minna-San! (Good morning everyone!):

I'm wondering if the aloha spirit is still there in Hawaii. I've been away for so long. I know it's there, but when I called a certain state agency, they did not even identify themselves the few occasions I called! They even seemed put off by my call. What's up with that? Is customer service lacking in Hawaii? Say it isn't so. I hope it's just a "I work for a state agency and I'm unhappy" thing. They're like that in other states, too.

Please tell me the "aloha spirit" is still there. I sure do miss it and miss living aloha in Hawaii. What are your experiences? The people are really (most of them) nice where I live now, but what can I expect when I finally get home? Would anyone like to share their experiences? I'd really appreciate it.

Ooohh... and COUNTDOWN! Exactly 2 months before I "go home!"

Arigato ne!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 3,813,722 times
There is no more Aloha Spirt here than anywhere else. Also your experience with the government worker is typical.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,756,969 times
I disagree....there is definitely a sense of aloha spirit here! yeah the govt workers may act just like workers anywhere else, but aloha still resonates throughout the islands.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:39 PM

63 posts, read 154,616 times
Thanks Mar0! It's just what I wanted to hear. I knew it! I liken it to pidgin accents. You can't hide it. You can't run from it. It's there -- just like the aloha spirit. I love it when people misjudge mine for Canadian. Wot?!

And thanks Balad1. Sad to say, my bubble busted when I spoke with the state worker. No worries. I won't go home with rose-colored glasses on, expecting to smell plumeria flowers everywhere. I'm going to be rational about it. People are nice; people aren't. It doesn't matter where you are. I'm just going to be the best person I can be. I do admit the government workers answered the questions I asked. What more could I ask for?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM

3,669 posts, read 2,644,339 times
From reading this forum I expected people in Hawaii to be either extremely friendly, or extremely hostile if they know you're not from here.

So far I haven't seen either... They're equally friendly to people in Texas, and when I say I just moved here they're interested in where I came from. The only difference between here and Texas is that Hawaiians get really interested when I tell them I'm from the Caribbean.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM

3,669 posts, read 2,644,339 times
Oh wait there is one thing. The Maui DMV is really quick and friendly, unlike Texas where they hate their jobs. My first driver license pic had my hair sticking up, so the guy was like "not good" and retook it.
They call you "braddah". That was the first time I actually heard someone say "braddah" and not "brah" and I almost asked the guy where he was from... Because I really thought "braddah" was only a Caribbean saying.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM

317 posts, read 602,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
There is no more Aloha Spirt here than anywhere else. Also your experience with the government worker is typical.

Sorry to bust your bubble.
It pains me to say this but, I actually have to agree with that statement.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 AM

820 posts, read 1,673,049 times
Ohio gozaimas! (did I write that correctly?)

IslandGirlGoingHome, the answer to your question is going to depend on who you ask! If you are a regular reader of this forum, you will see the personalities and chuckle at some of the predictable responses.

I am sure you are clever enough to know that one or two experiences are not going to give you all the information you need to make sure a general conclusion. And since you are returning home, you will also know that what you receive will start to reflect what you give.

You sound cheerful and happy to return to Hawaii. Continue to express your joy, and people will, in general, be happy with you. I am sure you will occasionally get someone who has had a bad day, or who has decided to have a bad life outlook, but please don't let that crush your joy.

I notice and am grateful for the aloha spirit here every day. But the aloha spirit is not due to the sunshine, or something in the water or poi. Aloha spirit is in the people and the attitudes they both adopt and foster. Your return will add to it, I am quite sure. It will be alive, and stay alive, if people like you decide this.

By the way, I called the State Tax offices TWICE on Friday, and received prompt and helpful service both times. I went to the post office, and the woman there said I made her day when I gave her a couple of pens from my business samples. I went to Ross for a little shopping, and people excused themselves while we maneuvered our carts past each other, the dressingroom gals were laughing and quick, and the store guard was happy to watch my cart while I brought my car to the curb to load the heavy stuff. Aloha all around!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:30 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,722,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Ohio gozaimas! (did I write that correctly?)

IslandGirlGoingHome, the answer to your question is going to depend on who you ask! If you are a regular reader of this forum, you will see the personalities and chuckle at some of the predictable responses.

I am sure you are clever enough to know that one or two experiences are not going to give you all the information you need to make sure a general conclusion. And since you are returning home, you will also know that what you receive will start to reflect what you give.

You sound cheerful and happy to return to Hawaii. Continue to express your joy, and people will, in general, be happy with you. I am sure you will occasionally get someone who has had a bad day, or who has decided to have a bad life outlook, but please don't let that crush your joy.

I notice and am grateful for the aloha spirit here every day. But the aloha spirit is not due to the sunshine, or something in the water or poi. Aloha spirit is in the people and the attitudes they both adopt and foster. Your return will add to it, I am quite sure. It will be alive, and stay alive, if people like you decide this.

By the way, I called the State Tax offices TWICE on Friday, and received prompt and helpful service both times. I went to the post office, and the woman there said I made her day when I gave her a couple of pens from my business samples. I went to Ross for a little shopping, and people excused themselves while we maneuvered our carts past each other, the dressingroom gals were laughing and quick, and the store guard was happy to watch my cart while I brought my car to the curb to load the heavy stuff. Aloha all around!
I canʻt rep you so Ill say great post!
There is alot to complain about anywhere even in Hawaii. But in Hawaii is it worth ruining your day complaining about something small? If its a bit thing then ya kill your day or better yet look out over your car as you get in and see the view smile breath in breath out move on! (ya i used someones words on that but it fits.)
I know the Aloha spirit is alive here it always will but when you find yourself in Honolulu read above

Have a great day lol

Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,632,627 times
Ohayo gozaimasu WahineMoku,

The aloha spirit is there and then it is not there. Most times a smile and sense of joy will bring it back.

A hui hou!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii