Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM

66 posts, read 162,133 times

Advertisements

Hi. While I am enormously grateful for this health insurance, I wish I could find another (warm) state with the same type of plan.

Certain Blue Cross and Blue Shield organizations in PA are statutorily required to offer at least 2 plans as guarantee issue. One of these plans is called Special Care, and is for an income not over about $17,000 for one person.

There is another plan for those who earn more, but the cost is nothing as high as other states where I have inquired. For a guarantee issue plan elsewhere, I could never afford it.

I was turned down by the Geisinger Plan for health reasons, and I was then accepted by Blue Shield, with coverage that is really good for the low price.

I don't know if you have to have a refusal from another insurer to get these plans. You do have to live in certain geographical areas, but this is a wide area range.

Would anyone out there, if you have any information about a state with better winters than here, please let me know of any other insurance like this?

It is health insurance where they have to accept you, has decent coverage, and is low cost? (I know this sounds unreal to some folks, but it does exist, at least here in PA, for now).

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
Never heard of that and I have BCBS. Maybe that is something your state offers?

Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Maybe, Laura707

Hi there. I do have a feeling this is some sort of special arrangement with my state, and I was hoping I could find another state somewhere warm, who had something like this. It doesn't have to be BCBS.

I have been checking out Inclusive Health in NC, which has what seems to be a similar plan, but I don't think I qualify for some of it. And the premiums are way higher than I pay here. I should call them about it, though.

Thanks for replying.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I would call BCBS and ask them if this is offered in other states.. Heck, when I retire I would get it if I could at that price per month!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Good idea, Laura707. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance