Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I don't know if there's been a thread about this, I'm really pissed off. I've been going to my ob/gyn for a few years and now that I don't have insurance anymore they won't see me at all. I searched online and I guess this is not uncommon? But I want to know if any of you experienced the same thing recently. I don't want to go to the health dept, I thought if I had my own doctor that was my doctor and they wouldn't kick me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 AM

337 posts, read 1,431,349 times
Unfortunately, I do think this is more and more the the standard. It's hurting lots of folks. Where I live in central Florida, more and more doctors are just getting fed up with the insurance industry altogether and are starting to just drop their prices for office visits, etc., and do not even accept insurance anymore. They would rather drop their prices so that people can afford to "self-pay", than to mess with the insurance red-tape. Perhaps there are doctors in your area who are doing the same thing? I understand not wanting to go to your local Health Dept., but that's exactly what you should do if you don't come up with other alternatives. Best wishes!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
My wife and I lost our insurance because all said and done my wife became very ill, thus, the insurance company finally was able, through technicalities, to dump her, not me but her. However, being that I pay out of pocket now that leaves very little for me to cover myself. All the doctors still treat my wife without insurance and my PCP still sees me at a reduced price out of pocket. As RecovringKrspyKremeAddict mentioned it does seem many doctors are refusing insurance and will work with you. You should shop around for a new doctor, I'm sure you'll have luck finding one.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Wow, that surprises me! I thought docs would rather have self pay than insurance. My dh was in the ER several months ago and they gave him a 70% discount because he agreed to NOT use his insurance (catastrophic care, so it still would have all been out of pocket). It was still extremely expensive, but that was a huge discount, that I would think would encourage self pay.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Right, all my other doctors lower their fee if you self-pay. Well I called back, and she spoke to the director again and they said they would see me and told me how much it was. Wouldn't you think if doctors kept dropping patients who lost their insurance, they'd hardly have any patients left?? However, my doctor has no availability before January and I need to get in before that so I called another obgyn I had seen before and they made an appt in Nov - no problem with self-pay. I am just wondering how many have run into this before, it really shocked me (being dumped).

Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know if there's been a thread about this, I'm really pissed off. I've been going to my ob/gyn for a few years and now that I don't have insurance anymore they won't see me at all. I searched online and I guess this is not uncommon? But I want to know if any of you experienced the same thing recently. I don't want to go to the health dept, I thought if I had my own doctor that was my doctor and they wouldn't kick me out!
Well, your doctor isn't your friend, they're a business entity. Did they refuse to let you pay up front for the visit, or did you ask for a payment schedule?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
This is very sad,i am sorry they wont see you..... (I HOPE YOU ARE IN GOOD HEALTH)

If you can get to Canada,i believe they would see you with no insurance (HEALTH CARE IN CANADA IS MUCH BETTER)

Good luck

Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This is very sad,i am sorry they wont see you..... (I HOPE YOU ARE IN GOOD HEALTH)

If you can get to Canada,i believe they would see you with no insurance (HEALTH CARE IN CANADA IS MUCH BETTER)

Good luck
Obviously you don't live in Canada

Old 10-15-2010, 03:09 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
It does depend on whether you were willing to pay out of pocket upon being seen, wanted to pay the same rate as if you had insurance, etc. (if you tried to pay what you would have when you had insurance, it's understandable they wouldn't take you, they would lose out on the portion that insurance paid them also.)

Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 PM

There had not been any pay discussion whatsoever, they said without insurance they couldn't make the appt. All this thread is supposed to be about is to see if anyone else has encountered that with a doctor. Everyone has to give their 2 cents and it's not necessary or relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance