U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM
 
3,220 posts, read 3,804,258 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
My Dr. told me that with no insurance he'd reduce his fee. I suggest you find a new Dr. with a heart.
They all have a heart, now what kind of heart?

As a born American with no current insurance (because of no job and cannot afford to purchase insurance) I wouldn't be helped, but if I had just come off the banana boat I would get served at no charge.

Good luck on finding a doctor with that special kind of "heart".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
 
3,364 posts, read 5,339,424 times
Reputation: 4602
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
They all have a heart, now what kind of heart?

As a born American with no current insurance (because of no job and cannot afford to purchase insurance) I wouldn't be helped, but if I had just come off the banana boat I would get served at no charge.

Good luck on finding a doctor with that special kind of "heart".
You've really believed a crock, haven't you?

Anyone, regardless of immigration status, is treated at an ER facility, regardless of intent or means to pay.

A doctor can refuse to see anyone in his office for treatment (it's not immediately life threatening if you have time to make an appointment).

They, like ERs, charge self-paying patients less - but not out of the 'goodness of their hearts', but because the self-payers cost the docs and hospitals WAY less in time and aggravation than insured patients do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,330 posts, read 21,012,224 times
Reputation: 31940
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know if there's been a thread about this, I'm really pissed off. I've been going to my ob/gyn for a few years and now that I don't have insurance anymore they won't see me at all. I searched online and I guess this is not uncommon? But I want to know if any of you experienced the same thing recently. I don't want to go to the health dept, I thought if I had my own doctor that was my doctor and they wouldn't kick me out!
Yeah...I can't believe they won't take cash for services. Lots of docs will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,330 posts, read 21,012,224 times
Reputation: 31940
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
You've really believed a crock, haven't you?

Anyone, regardless of immigration status, is treated at an ER facility, regardless of intent or means to pay.

A doctor can refuse to see anyone in his office for treatment (it's not immediately life threatening if you have time to make an appointment).

They, like ERs, charge self-paying patients less - but not out of the 'goodness of their hearts', but because the self-payers cost the docs and hospitals WAY less in time and aggravation than insured patients do.
Guess again. It's to increase the likelihood that we ever see any kind of payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
 
3,220 posts, read 3,804,258 times
Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
You've really believed a crock, haven't you?

Anyone, regardless of immigration status, is treated at an ER facility, regardless of intent or means to pay.

A doctor can refuse to see anyone in his office for treatment (it's not immediately life threatening if you have time to make an appointment).

They, like ERs, charge self-paying patients less - but not out of the 'goodness of their hearts', but because the self-payers cost the docs and hospitals WAY less in time and aggravation than insured patients do.
In my neck of the wood$ they (doctor$) $ing a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
1,881 posts, read 1,677,178 times
Reputation: 16461
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Guess again. It's to increase the likelihood that we ever see any kind of payment.
Just out of curiosity..... when my dh went to the ER, why was he encouraged to NOT go through his insurance and to take the very large self-pay discount? (serious question; I'm really wondering)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 AM
 
4,402 posts, read 4,825,970 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
You've really believed a crock, haven't you?

Anyone, regardless of immigration status, is treated at an ER facility, regardless of intent or means to pay.

A doctor can refuse to see anyone in his office for treatment (it's not immediately life threatening if you have time to make an appointment).

They, like ERs, charge self-paying patients less - but not out of the 'goodness of their hearts', but because the self-payers cost the docs and hospitals WAY less in time and aggravation than insured patients do.

The ER may charge a self pay patient less, but it really doesn't matter because that self pay patient never pays.

I see this going on everyday day in my ER. Countless numbers of ppl come in without ins...yes, we have to see them, yes the bill is less than those with ins, but in the end the ER and hospital is screwed because those pts do not end up paying.

Our billing office is great to work with, they will take low monthly payments and after about 6 mths they will call you say we will take $600 lump sum on that $1200 bill and call it even.

Id be curious how many actually take them up on the payment plan? hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 06:05 AM
 
4,402 posts, read 4,825,970 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Just out of curiosity..... when my dh went to the ER, why was he encouraged to NOT go through his insurance and to take the very large self-pay discount? (serious question; I'm really wondering)

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that one as well...with ins the ER knows they will get paid. They may not get 100% payment but they will get paid something. With a self pay you run the risk of no payment at all.

It's not like they take you to the billing area after you're discharged and hand you a bill and expect payment right then and there.

I'd call the billing office of that hospital and ask them why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 AM
 
19,378 posts, read 13,792,407 times
Reputation: 13137
My doctor's office refusing to see me ... no insurance


In a health system where its all about money first and healthcare second if you dont have the money/insurance then no one in the health care business is going to want to deal with you,so i guess its off to wherever people who cant afford healthcare insurance go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,330 posts, read 21,012,224 times
Reputation: 31940
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My doctor's office refusing to see me ... no insurance


In a health system where its all about money first and healthcare second if you dont have the money/insurance then no one in the health care business is going to want to deal with you,so i guess its off to wherever people who cant afford healthcare insurance go.
How many businesses do you know that do provide service with no payment? Food? Shelter? Water? NO ONE. But for some reason, the health care system (which isn't even as basic a necessity as the aforementioned food, water, shelter) is supposed to suck it and see people for free. You work for free. See how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top