U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM

6,460 posts, read 8,197,638 times
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive.

With regard to the high-premium-and-low-chance-of-payoff, I really don't pay a high premium. To me $156 a year is peanuts. Plus, my family tree is riddled with cancer, so the odds are, I will end up with it at some point. That's not me being dramatic; it's just statistically probable.

I have great health insurance (for now, of course) and I have life insurance. I have no dependents, but I'd like to leave my nieces and nephew something, and when they get my house, I'd like the mortgage to be able to be paid off so the inheritance will be free & clear; and I've got that covered.

I figure this $25,000 won't change my life, but will be helpful, since I really don't have much debt. And like I said, if the cancer I eventually get is advanced and I have no hope, at least I'll have an extrra 25 grand to "play with." I can even give it to my favorite charity.

So for me, this policy makes a lot of sense. That might not be true for everyone, but for me (no dependents, high risk of cancer, small amount of debt) it's the wise choice. The only insurance I think I do need that I haven't gotten (yet) is long term care insurance. that's on my agenda. Again, I go with statistics and odds, and odds are, I may end up in a nursing faclity or other type of LTC before I die, and I don't want my family burdened with the cost, or worrying about having me spend-down to get Medicaid-qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance