Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times

Advertisements

I did not mean to be all negative on Advantage plans. There are good plans around the country. And in some areas they are widely accepted and are pretty much the plan of choice. And from what I've read, where they work they work well.

Personally, I like the concept of pay as you go. If I weren't in Tricare (which is a form of Medigap) I'd likely go with them because they are widely accepted where I live. And IMO, like it or not current Medicare is going to transform toward a cost containment model. Sooner than later.

And lets face it, for many retirees living in areas where the plans are popular they are the only affordable insurance option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
So, if I wanted care outside of the Bay Area, I know I'm covered in all of California, but, what if I chose a facility in another state on Plan F, when it isn't an emergency? My family has a long history with the Cleveland Clinic so some work I would really rather have done there instead of here, just a familiarity thing. I thought my agent said only emergencies are covered out of state, but I may not have understood her correctly. I recall reading a post about someone needing valve repair surgery so he went to Mayo Clinic in another state which got me wondering

Old 11-05-2013, 11:04 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
If you want portability, you don't pick an Advantage Plan.
Plan F, for instance, goes with you all over the US.
I have the high deductible F...That does, too...use it in NY and in Fl

Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
So, if I wanted care outside of the Bay Area, I know I'm covered in all of California, but, what if I chose a facility in another state on Plan F, when it isn't an emergency? My family has a long history with the Cleveland Clinic so some work I would really rather have done there instead of here, just a familiarity thing. I thought my agent said only emergencies are covered out of state, but I may not have understood her correctly. I recall reading a post about someone needing valve repair surgery so he went to Mayo Clinic in another state which got me wondering
Your agent was confusing limitations on a Medicare Advantage plan with Medigap Plan F.

As I recall, you have a Medigap Plan F through United Health Care, do you not? UHC Advantage plans have networks and will pay for emergency treatment at out-of-network facilities. UHC Advantage also has its Passport program which, if you notify them you will be traveling, allows treatment in other parts of the country at designated facilities.

Medigaps (Plans A-N) do not have networks. You are not limited by doctor or facility or location - except if overseas, where it pays up to $50k.

The biggest advantage of a Medigap is its flexibility - it will pay its share of any Medicare-approved charge anywhere in the US. It is not an HMO, it is not a PPO. Your rate and carrier are determined by your state of residence, but that does not limit you to service in your state of residence.

If your agent said you needed to stay in California for treatment, she was wrong.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
I should not have made it look like only some of them provide access....all the plans , A through N, are good with any doctor or other provider that accepts Medicare.(and even those that don't with some restrictions)

Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Some plans....F for instance...covers EVERYTHING anywhere

edited to add...in the US, if anybody was going to object to the literalness of 'everywhere'
Yes indeed! Plan f is what we have. We are more than satisified with our health care, but, I just pray that it doesn't get screwed up by the powers that be.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Just to add another layer of confusion, enter Extend Health Care. My girlfriend has been using her employer based insurance since she retired several years ago. Now, the former employer wants to get rid of them so they contracted with Extend Health Care to sell insurance to the former employees, but, if they don't like the Extend choices and buy elsewhere, they lose their subsidy. I suspect the employer is paying Extend very well to administer the health care and rake in plenty from insurance commissions while paying out little in subsidies. I just heard of this system yesterday so it is new to me, and my friend, but it sure seems like a lot of palms are getting greased at the expense of the people who need health care.

What a mess.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Yes indeed! Plan f is what we have. We are more than satisified with our health care, but, I just pray that it doesn't get screwed up by the powers that be.
Me too! But I don't know how much longer until it does happen. We have been getting as much done as possible by the end of the year so we avoid the system as long as possible after that.

Best of luck to you and the rest of us.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Just to add another layer of confusion, enter Extend Health Care. My girlfriend has been using her employer based insurance since she retired several years ago. Now, the former employer wants to get rid of them so they contracted with Extend Health Care to sell insurance to the former employees, but, if they don't like the Extend choices and buy elsewhere, they lose their subsidy. I suspect the employer is paying Extend very well to administer the health care and rake in plenty from insurance commissions while paying out little in subsidies. I just heard of this system yesterday so it is new to me, and my friend, but it sure seems like a lot of palms are getting greased at the expense of the people who need health care.

What a mess.
Administrative fees to insurance companies typically run about 5% of the plan costs...

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
Quote:

What a mess.
Yes, I've heard. Of Extend Health. They are a racket. I'm surprised the gov't hasn't banned them. They do get a cut from each sale they make. They are IMO not so reputable.

They do push certain Advantage plans and I'd surely check those plans carefully before signing anything with them if I were your friend. Any idea how much the subsidy is? Places like eHealth has good prices on Medigaps. And maybe Extend Health has similar deals on Medigaps. Might be best to compare their prices vs what's available elsewhere. Possible there might be enough savings to counter the subsidy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance