Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Ok. Drop the percentages. How much does the $6 million dollar man have left in spending money after paying his income tax? How much does the $50,000 woman have after paying an equivalent share of her income tax? Hmm, guess we don't want to go there, either.

Just kidding. I KNOW you weren't talking individuals, cause, well, that would be ugly.

We will just have to agree to disagree.
Not sure how much we disagree. I was reacting to someone else and you reacted to me. My only issue is with people saying the rich don't pay. I was highlighting that they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM

326 posts, read 433,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure how much we disagree. I was reacting to someone else and you reacted to me. My only issue is with people saying the rich don't pay. I was highlighting that they did.
They don't my friend. Not nearly enough! The very rich I mean. And the corporations...
Two words for you: TAX - EVASION -
The burden is and always has been with the middle class. Enough is enough of those "Paris Hilton-tax-breaks"

Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
They don't my friend. Not nearly enough! The very rich I mean. And the corporations...
The burden is and always has been with the middle class. Enough is enough of those "Paris Hilton-tax-breaks"
Yes the problem of American corporations hiring millions of Americans who pay taxes and contribute to SS and Medicare while those same corporations pay payroll taxes and contribute to entitlement programs. Shame on them for following the law and using the law to avoid paying the full stated amount of the US corporate tax. What say we all about those corporations that shift some or all of their operations over seas and avoid payroll taxes or if they move their corporate headquarters they owe no American income taxes. Do we prefer them instead? Hey all they are guilty of is leaving us with Americans who are still going to collect SS and Medicare/Medicaid and oh yeah unemployment.

Hmmmmm no payroll taxes, no income taxes but they leave their former employees behind. Not that you are advocating that but it is part of the equation.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Tax avoidance and tax evasion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Tax avoidance is the legal utilization of the tax regime to one's own advantage, to reduce the amount of tax that is payable by means that are within the law. By contrast, tax evasion is the general term for efforts not to pay taxes by illegal means. The term tax mitigation is a synonym for tax avoidance. Its original use was by tax advisors as an alternative to the pejorative term tax avoidance. Latterly the term has also been used in the tax regulations of some jurisdictions to distinguish tax avoidance foreseen by the legislators from tax avoidance which exploits loopholes in the law.
Tax Evasion Definition

Quote:
What Does Tax Evasion Mean?
An illegal practice where a person, organization or corporation intentionally avoids paying his/her/its true tax liability. Those caught evading taxes are generally subject to criminal charges and substantial penalties.
Since you are electing to call it tax evasion with emphasis are you holding the current administration accountable for not enforcing the law? Is the Treasury Department in bed with corporations to help them illegally avoid paying taxes. Perhaps this explains the role of Jeff Immelt in the Obama White House. Are American corporations like GE guilty of illegal activity? So does that mean American's who use consultants to help navigate retirement and obtain the maximum benefits with the minimum costs are also doing something illegal?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Looks like the Repubs/Tea Partiers think the only way to balance the budget is by attacking Medicare (moving to private sector insurance for seniors), eliminating cancer research and education all while extending tax subsidies for the wealthiest individuals and the corporations (including big oil). Are we surprised?

Do you think Medicare and help for the disabled is on the chopping block and if you depend on these, what will it mean for you? (the topic of this thread is the question in bold, we don't need comments about the haves and have nots and the losers of the world who have to depend on Medicare ).
I think you might be mixing up Medicare and Medicaid. The Paul Ryan budget produced no changes for people currently on Medicare and the changes that he did propose would kick in in 2021 for people who turn 65 that year or later. Those people would receive a voucher to buy private health insurance. It will be more like Medicare Advantage for everyone. The voucher would go directly to the insurance provider.

In Republicans' 2012 budget plan, Rep. Ryan gives Social Security a pass - TheHill.com

Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 AM

326 posts, read 433,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Since you are electing to call it tax evasion with emphasis are you holding the current administration accountable for not enforcing the law? Is the Treasury Department in bed with corporations to help them illegally avoid paying taxes. Perhaps this explains the role of Jeff Immelt in the Obama White House. Are American corporations like GE guilty of illegal activity? So does that mean American's who use consultants to help navigate retirement and obtain the maximum benefits with the minimum costs are also doing something illegal?
I think we agree more than we disagree on this issue! And yes, our government is guilty of not going after this. It doesn't matter who is in the White House. Those big American corporations that have headquarters in some tax-heaven country are indeed using this loophole for nor more than evading paying taxes.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Well I am a senior and unlike many here I am on Medicare and I AM NOT RICHI am also a widow so I have no one else's income to depend on. I have a small pension and live in an older house. I pay everything myself since I have no SO who is also getting SS.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have made mega bucks during our work life. We are just avg folks.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe how you can put down someone that you do not know and if you haven't walked in my shoes then don't put down those of us who are having a hard time living on SS.

I also have an eye disease and I have to pay for my glasses and the lenses are expensive and I am not buying new frames each time either. A $90.00 eye exam is expensive especially if you live off of $900 a month, pay $250 for rent, pay $200 in utilities, plus food plus car ins, plus medical care. I know too many seniors who do live on this and it is hard for them.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I think we can all agree we must make cuts. The key word to me though is priorities. If I were to take on the deficit I would make a list with lots of sub-lists and prioritize them. I would look at what would cause the biggest pain and suffering to eliminate or cut and put that item to the bottom of my list. When I got to the top of the list, I would start cutting, and work my way down leaving as much of the bottom as feasibility possible.

But it appears that the Repubs don't want to talk oil or agricultural subsidies, or raising revenue through taxes, or reducing our military empire around the world, or taxing import trade, or make companies pay the royalties they owe our government for our resources. None of this kind of stuff seems to be on the table. Granted the big 3 expenditures are medicare, military & social security. However, this doesn't mean we ignore everything else.
I think Thomas Sowell came up with a pretty good idea about where to start cutting in his column this week:

Thomas Sowell

I think this is a pretty non-partisan approach (it hacks away at agricultural subsidies as well as green energy subsidies). Robyn

Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That is a very flip and rude and inaccurate assessment of my situation. I think you need to take a few steps back before you blast people for something you know little about.

Why did I get a CT scan? In short, because I have been very sick for three months. I was having trouble eating and digesting foods. I had just switched doctors and this new doctor came highly recommended.

Usually I refuse xrays and scans because it's a waste of money (not MY money necessarily, but I don't like the principle of wasting money) and because I do not want extra radiation but with the new doctor and since I was feeling very unwell and since I was starting to feel desperate about any of these doctors being able to diagnose me, I agreed to the abdominal CT scan.

I realized later on that the CT scan was a waste of time. I am also starting to realize that this doctor is like most of the other doctors who order tests just to cover their tails. Yesterday this doctor did a blood test to rule out celiac disease and this time I was in agreement and got the test because it could be useful.

Also, in answer to your question, $90 for an eye exam would be a LOT of money to me. And I've worn glasses since I was age 7 and my lenses cost MUCH more than yours do. So there! I buy good frames and keep them for years but with my bad eyes I have to get new lenses every couple of years.

Bottom line - you're cheap with your own bucks - but don't give a flying fig about spending other peoples' money. At least that's what your message seems to imply.

Again, you can infer whatever you want but you certainly don't know me AT ALL. You don't know my situation or how I ended up in this situation. You come off like a smug, critical know it all.
From the sound of it - the CT wasn't useless (a test that rules out a possibly serious condition isn't useless just because the results are negative). But YOU said it was "useless" - and I just took it from there.

FWIW - I think a test is useless if - no matter what the result - the course of medical care will be the same. Robyn

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
texdav, I usually respect what you say but this sarcasm is uncalled for. I have paid into Medicare since 1967 and perhaps I am used to having a health plan that pays for eye exams, the kind of health care you get at work. My eyesight is very bad and I was overdue for an eye exam. When my frames finally broke I figured I might as well get the eye exam before I pay for new glasses. Makes sense.

I definitely did NOT go to get free glasses. I have never gotten free glasses--my glasses can cost A LOT too. I save up to buy glasses.

I thought (wrongly) that an eye exam, being a medical exam might be free or reduced in cost. As it turns out, I do have the beginning of cataracts so my exam was free! This was a surprise to me because I have always stayed out of the sun and I have always worn sunglasses--I'm a firm believer in prevention.

When the time comes for cataract surgery, so that I don't go blind, it will not be anything fancy like Robyn mentioned her father got. I'm not rich--fine if you are, but I am not.
Your exam wasn't "free". Someone paid for it.

Just curious - was your exam done by an opthalmologist or an optometrist? Medicare does not cover routine eye exams. It only covers:

An eye exam to diagnose potential vision problems. If you are having vision problems that indicate a serious eye condition, Medicare will pay for an exam to see what is wrong, even if it turns out there is not anything wrong with your sight.

But many opthalmologists (and some optometrists) will shift the cost of a routine eye exam from the patient to Medicare by taking some liberties with medical records (instead of showing that a patient came in for a routine eye exam - they'll say that the patient came in complaining of this, that or the other thing). This was the norm in south Florida - where I used to live - and where most seniors thought all of their medical care should be "free". FWIW - this is one reason Medigap policies in south Florida cost 40% more than they do here in north Florida. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance