Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Why did Social Security tell a 62 year old disabled veteran he's not eligible for Medicare until age 65?

He and his wife do not drive so they go to the hospital alot and they do so, by calling 911. The fire truck and rescue squad show up.
They go to the hospital, and sometimes released the next day.

He says that Tri-Care pays part of this, and he has to pay the rest out of his pocket.

I've known them long enough to think they pay zero, out of pocket for medical services. Their medications are $3 each, I think, regardless as to whether they are a $4 generic or not.

He said S.S. told him that he can not be covered by Medicare, until age 65. I thought disabled persons were eligible regardless of age?

I also thought him being a veteran entitled him to medical through the government. Veterans benefits and a small s.s. check is his only income and his wife is on SSI.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
He would have to apply for Social Security disability in order to be eligible for Medicare before age 65. Initial applications seem to be routinely deenied in the bulk of cases and the decision has to be appealed. It's an imperfect system at best. However, in the case of a disabled veteran, a lot depends on the percentage of disability the military has determined.

If affordable, a SS attorney would help. Barring that, he should contact the VFW, DAV, American Legion, etc. and ask for assistance.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
My point too. If he is on Social Security Disability then he gets Medicare. He would also be on TriCare For Life which would cost him nothing as long as he pays his Medicare Part B

Contact DAV

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
He is a totally disabled veteran. Legally blind, he says, he has no visible physical problems. I think he recently got a pacemaker. Due to the size of his monthly benefit from VA, his social security check is around $238.00. He'd be age 65, before he could be successful with s.s. disability. I know several people and it took 2-3 years to even get hearing, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

He says that Tri-Care pays part of this, and he has to pay the rest out of his pocket.

I also thought him being a veteran entitled him to medical through the government

Thanks.
And just what do you think tricare and va benefits are besides government healthcare?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,427 times
I don't think that just because one is on Social Security Disability that automatically entitles them to Medicare.
My understanding is that Medicare is strictly for 65 and older. I am also on SSD and VA disability. The two together equal the 60% that VA would have awarded me but am not eligible for Medicare because I am only 55.
I don't have children living at home so I don't qualify for Medicaid either. I am a veteran, used the VA healthcare system for several years, but no longer desire to use it. The lack of quality care is part of the reason I'm on disability now.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
You have to have been on Social Security Disability for a certain amount of time, I believe 2 years but it may only be a year, to get Medicare before age 65.
If he's on disability from the VA, but on regular Social Security, no he won't be eligible for Medicare until 65.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
I got Social Security Disability, it took me about 2 years, but i also signed up with a lawyer right away (they dont take payment until/unless you receive benefits). I could not afford to live without it, so i had to. (I did all the work actually - it never went to the hearing stage.)

I think after a yr or 18 months i got the paper to fill out if i wanted Medicare. It's not free tho, they take a premium out every month. I am 52.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I got Social Security Disability, it took me about 2 years, but i also signed up with a lawyer right away (they dont take payment until/unless you receive benefits). I could not afford to live without it, so i had to. (I did all the work actually - it never went to the hearing stage.)

I think after a yr or 18 months i got the paper to fill out if i wanted Medicare. It's not free tho, they take a premium out every month. I am 52.
Part A (hopitalization) is free. B is not.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
You can get Medicare Part B below age 65 if you are on Social Security Disability. There is a two year waiting period from the date of entitlement.

Important distinction here is to find out of the veteran is on SSI or Social Security Disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance