Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times

Advertisements

Several threads are discussing Medicare and Medigap Supplemental Plans and I wondered if anyone knows what happens if you move to another state after age 65 with a Gap Plan, for example Plan F. Do you pay the premiums to the original state of purchase? What if the new state doesn't offer that particular Gap Plan (not all states offer all plans, in fact more states only offer a handful of options and the options vary greatly from state to state). Anyway, does anyone know how it works if you move after age 65 and have already purchased a Gap plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Several threads are discussing Medicare and Medigap Supplemental Plans and I wondered if anyone knows what happens if you move to another state after age 65 with a Gap Plan, for example Plan F. Do you pay the premiums to the original state of purchase? What if the new state doesn't offer that particular Gap Plan (not all states offer all plans, in fact more states only offer a handful of options and the options vary greatly from state to state). Anyway, does anyone know how it works if you move after age 65 and have already purchased a Gap plan?
You pay the premiums to the insurance company you bought it from, not the state. They're fully transportable since you'd be on fee-for-service Medicare. You can go to the physician of your choice who is medicare certified regardless of what state they're in. The same applies to hospitals, labs, pharmacies, etc.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You pay the premiums to the insurance company you bought it from, not the state. They're fully transportable since you'd be on fee-for-service Medicare. You can go to the physician of your choice who is medicare certified regardless of what state they're in. The same applies to hospitals, labs, pharmacies, etc.
Thanks for the reply. So, if I purchase from BCBS of Michigan Plan F while living in Michigan for $175 at age 65 and then move to Ohio, for example, and the Ohio BCBS doesn't offer Plan F, I still pay the premium for Plan F to BCBS of Michigan while I'm a resident of Ohio? If that's the case, then the decision as to where you start a gap plan is really important if you plan to move later on.

Unfortunately, even the same insurance companies don't offer the same gap plans in each state. If you switch your gap plan after the initial enrollment period at age 65, you are subject to underwriting and can be denied coverage or charged higher premiums.

Each affiliate of large insurance companies (BCBS of Michigan, BCBS of Virginia, for example) all have different rules in each state. I hope your response is correct, unless of course, you moved to a lower cost state, and then you would be stuck with a higher premium. So, if I moved to Wyoming and the BCBS of Wyoming offered Plan F at a lower premium, I'd be stuck paying the higher premium to BCBS of Michigan? The exact same gap plans can cost much more or less depending on the state and the issuing company.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for the reply. So, if I purchase from BCBS of Michigan Plan F while living in Michigan for $175 at age 65 and then move to Ohio, for example, and the Ohio BCBS doesn't offer Plan F, I still pay the premium for Plan F to BCBS of Michigan while I'm a resident of Ohio? If that's the case, then the decision as to where you start a gap plan is really important if you plan to move later on.

Unfortunately, even the same insurance companies don't offer the same gap plans in each state. If you switch your gap plan after the initial enrollment period at age 65, you are subject to underwriting and can be denied coverage or charged higher premiums.

Each affiliate of large insurance companies (BCBS of Michigan, BCBS of Virginia, for example) all have different rules in each state. I hope your response is correct, unless of course, you moved to a lower cost state, and then you would be stuck with a higher premium. So, if I moved to Wyoming and the BCBS of Wyoming offered Plan F at a lower premium, I'd be stuck paying the higher premium to BCBS of Michigan? The exact same gap plans can cost much more or less depending on the state and the issuing company.
Medicare Supplement plans A through J must offer standardized benefits that conform to federal guidelines. However, those guidelines are the floor, not the ceiling. Plans can offer additional benefits based upon the insurance laws of the states in which they are offered. Once you purchase a plan in any state, your benefits are governed by a binding contract with the insurer no matter where or in what state you actually access those benefits. A move to another state does not cancel them out or limit them in any way. You can change plans during open enrollment periods but you can also be medically underwritten after your initial purchase. For instance, my wife and I are covered by Anthem Blue Cross purchased in California through our pension plan but we live in Missouri now. It works just the same here as it would if we were still in CA.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Medicare Supplement plans A through J must offer standardized benefits that conform to federal guidelines. However, those guidelines are the floor, not the ceiling. Plans can offer additional benefits based upon the insurance laws of the states in which they are offered. Once you purchase a plan in any state, your benefits are governed by a binding contract with the insurer no matter where or in what state you actually access those benefits. A move to another state does not cancel them out or limit them in any way. You can change plans during open enrollment periods but you can also be medically underwritten after your initial purchase. For instance, my wife and I are covered by Anthem Blue Cross purchased in California through our pension plan but we live in Missouri now. It works just the same here as it would if we were still in CA.
Thanks for the follow-up and clarification. I guess that means that the premiums are determined by the company you buy the initial plan from at age 65, regardless of where you might live later on. Maybe it makes sense to buy a plan in a less expensive state to start with, if at all possible. Then your premiums are issued by that first less expensive state, even if you move to a more expensive area later on. I've called several BCBS offices in several states, and the rates for the exact same supplemental plans vary widely, sometimes as much as 50-60%. Thanks again

Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM

95 posts, read 290,082 times
Default Differences in Medigap vs Advantage

Hi I really appreciate City Data, I've read a lot and the power in sharing is just what it is POWER for all of us traveling to the Medicare Planet..lol..I've spent 3 hours reading the alphabet soup of Medicare Part A & B and the supplemental insurance options the Gap and the Van sorry my eyes are sore
I hope maybe not after ingesting premium costs and out of pocket expenses to spend 3 months in Florida..mm maybe in a tent...Help me if I'm wrong but it seems the Medigap offers more flexibility than Advantage Plans. Advantage plans seem to be HMO"S and PPO"S hybrids & plans. Certain docs and facilities. I remember the old days when I was younger HMOs which were cheaper would give you a hard time if you received emergency care while on vacation...mm let me remember their terminalogy..."Could you have forseen this medical situation before you left".....Answer my crystal ball wasn't working that day ?......or could your emergency have waited till you got home....mm...Any comments (just be nice) insights or corrections would be appreciated. thanks

Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelticroam View Post
Hi I really appreciate City Data, I've read a lot and the power in sharing is just what it is POWER for all of us traveling to the Medicare Planet..lol..I've spent 3 hours reading the alphabet soup of Medicare Part A & B and the supplemental insurance options the Gap and the Van sorry my eyes are sore
I hope maybe not after ingesting premium costs and out of pocket expenses to spend 3 months in Florida..mm maybe in a tent...Help me if I'm wrong but it seems the Medigap offers more flexibility than Advantage Plans. Advantage plans seem to be HMO"S and PPO"S hybrids & plans. Certain docs and facilities. I remember the old days when I was younger HMOs which were cheaper would give you a hard time if you received emergency care while on vacation...mm let me remember their terminalogy..."Could you have forseen this medical situation before you left".....Answer my crystal ball wasn't working that day ?......or could your emergency have waited till you got home....mm...Any comments (just be nice) insights or corrections would be appreciated. thanks
HMOs, PPOs and Medicare Advantage plans have to provide for emergency services and out-of-area urgently needed care. However, it's not unusual for them to make it difficult to collect on a claim. It's all about the dollars. They're insurers, not healthcare providers when push comes to shove.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Not sure what plan or type of plan you have but let me tell you that we purposely grit our teeth and pay more for a United Health (AARP sponsered) Medigap plan rather than a no-premium Advantage plan just so coverage is total and un-questioning while in another state half the year.
Husband has chronic problems so we know it will be used and hospitalizations are more likely than not.

If that's not the case and you're in good or reasonably good health, check on the difference in saving monthly as opposed to the potential extra for 'out of network' cost. A Medigap may be the better option.
Sorry....I realize I haven't made it easier for you....in fact, maybe sent you off to do more work

Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 AM

Thank you Curmudgeon, good insight, I and wife are planning you know even though everything I read today will probably change...lol...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Not sure what plan or type of plan you have but let me tell you that we purposely grit our teeth and pay more for a United Health (AARP sponsered) Medigap plan rather than a no-premium Advantage plan just so coverage is total and un-questioning while in another state half the year.
Husband has chronic problems so we know it will be used and hospitalizations are more likely than not.

If that's not the case and you're in good or reasonably good health, check on the difference in saving monthly as opposed to the potential extra for 'out of network' cost. A Medigap may be the better option.
Sorry....I realize I haven't made it easier for you....in fact, maybe sent you off to do more work
Thanks so much, we won't be using Medicare for 2 years but I tried to do as much research as I could absorb...lol..my research now is based on how much medicare,supplemental, part D...I hope i have that right no notes in front of me..how much it will cost as we estimate how much we need. Like you we hope to spend 1/2 time in New England and 1/2 in Florida...we tht we'd have the money for a condo...lol...but it now seems a camper is the way to go..We're simple folks as the youngins say "Whatever" if its the camper we're both trying to lose weight now so we can fit in those beds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance