Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My initial instinct is to not pay. Period. What's the practice going to do? Turn it over to a collection agency? Fine, let's go to court and have the PA testify as to the necessity and nature of the examination. Ha! Not likely.
Lenora, that is what hubby felt. He called the office yesterday and told them this was unnecessary and in his opinion, invalid charges. He said he frankly felt it was not coded properly, wh/ was a violation . . . and if he had been on Medicare, he said he would have reported them for reimbursement issues. However, he is not on Medicare . . . so moot point.

He said he was switching providers, but no one cared, of course. This is the biggest practice in the region and all these docs here have the same policies - they wring every dollar out of the consumer.

This market here in Charlotte is the worst we have seen. Hubby is a former hospital administrator (40 years in the field); He is now a consultant to hospitals, physicians and trustees - so he is fully aware of reimbursement issues and fees for service as well as allowable charges, coding, etc. My point is . . . he works all over the country and these docs here in this region have a racket going. This is not the first time, or even the 10th, that we have questioned charges and written letters and complained, but it never gets anywhere. We hear the "cost shifting" BS as if we don't already know about allocating expenses and how that works, lol.

Very discouraging.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I did a quick check, and yes you can find hearing aids on the internet for $100 bucks a piece. Just order them, and skip the "hearing professionals" What else do you need besides a volume control? All they are is an very small amplifier that fits in your ear. Its not rocket science, and you don't have to spend $5000.
Wish it were that simple. Hubby has many different issues with his hearing. It has been difficult to calibrate and maintain hearing aids b/c of his profound hearing loss and the type of loss.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
I did a quick check, and yes you can find hearing aids on the internet for $100 bucks a piece. Just order them, and skip the "hearing professionals" What else do you need besides a volume control? All they are is an very small amplifier that fits in your ear. Its not rocket science, and you don't have to spend $5000.
Its not rocket science but the internet is not the answer either.
I bought one of those internet deals for Mom. They kept falling out. Her ear canals are very small. Also the thing squeals like a pig and you have to keep adjusting it. And the batteries don't last worth a dime.

In other words, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
My brothers finally convinced my 93 year old father to get hearing aids last year. This was the brand he bought:

http://www.medical.siemens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay~q_catalogId~e_-201~a_langId~e_-201~a_storeId~e_10001.htm

Note that one of my brothers is a real "gadget guy" (the other is a doctor) - and he investigated the products very thoroughly. He considered many issues - ranging from using hearing aids with rechargeable batteries to using those with replaceable batteries (it's often difficult for older people to change those small batteries). To the usefulness of having a remote/bluetooth type of device (turns out those devices are very useful - because you may have to use one setting to hear your TV - and another when you're having a conversation at a restaurant and want to "tune out" the chatter from people at other tables).

My father is *extremely* happy with these hearing aids. They cost about $5k - and he ordered them through a doctor at the Mayo Clinic. WHO DOES NOT WORK ON A COMMISSION. I would be very wary of buying from any outfit that is working on commissions. You are apt to get something that's worth less than what you're paying for it. Robyn

Old 03-07-2012, 10:04 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
It's a bit of oversimplification that they are only a "very small amplifier". There are sound interference and static issues that need to be dealt with.

It's possible that you could get a decent hearing aid for less money than the rip-off clinics are charging. But it's also possible to get a POS that will make you miserable more than help you.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
What???

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I thni it would be rgeat but its nt any more fiancial possible witht eh position medicare is i than it is for mnay individuals.What we will be facig is increasing choice on prority of services cover really.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
what???
She said that SHE THINKS HEARING AIDS SHOULD BE COVERED BY MEDICARE!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I think there should be a share of cost for truly medically necessary and compatible hearing aids but more "goodies" could hasten mMdicare's demise and everyone would lose.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think there should be a share of cost for truly medically necessary and compatible hearing aids but more "goodies" could hasten mMdicare's demise and everyone would lose.
I don't mind paying a fair price for the hearing aids. I feel that folks would be able to afford them if there weren't such a profit margin built in and so many additional charges (such as I cited).

I meant to mention . . . many Costcos have an arrangement on selling hearing aids. I believe some have an audiologist on site, but I am not certain about that. Regardless, I do know they sell top of the line hearing aids - several brands - and I have heard they sell at a good discount. This may vary according to state laws (what Costco is allowed to sell) but for anyone needing hearing aids, this may be a possible savings for them.

Also, there are quite a few online eyeglass prescription companies now. I have ordered 3 pairs online and was very pleased. I paid between $40 and $60 for each pair. There are also less expensive frames available, as well. You just enter your info into an order form online, along with the optometrist's practice info . . . and your glasses arrive in less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-07-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance