U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM

5,091 posts, read 12,552,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Disability beneficiaries undergo a Continuing Disability Review (CDR) on a perodic basis after they start receiving benefits. The frequency of the CDR depends on the individual's condition. Medical records from your own physicians will probable suffice; you do not necessarily need to see one of "their" physicians. I don't think a CDR would be quite as involved as the initial application, since the applicant only has to prove that a particular condition continues to prevent him or her from working. Indeed, many CDRs probably get the "rubber stamp" treatment. if the applicant has a severe, chronic or degenerative illness that has no known cure (e.g. Alzheimer's.)
I have been disabled under social security for many years. The CDR starts as a simple questionnaire. The most important issue is that you list all the contacts you have had with your medical providers, including phone calls, durable medical contacts--all contacts. You are not asked to provide medical records, just a list of contacts. The biggest mistake, according to the disability lawyer that I had, was that some people once they get disabled fail go see a doctor again. You must continue to document your problems and seek treatment. You will also be asked questions, if you are going to school and obviously if you have worked. I think it goes through a computer system to look for keywords.

I have done this questionnaire many times. If they find your answers acceptable, then you will get a letter that there will be no review of your disability at this time and you will be again scheduled for another CDR questionnaire. If your answers shows a possible improvement and you are no longer disabled then you will be processed for a full CDR review. A much longer questionnaire will follow where at that time medical records are requested directly from your medical providers. I was never required to go forward for a full CDR review which is essentially the same process as establishing your disability status, in the first place.

I got disabled in my forties. When I turned 60, I never got any more review questionnaires. That is because age is a huge factor to determine if you have the capacity to return and adapt to work; to receive disability at a younger age, as in my case in my forties, you have to have a very severe impairment. My condition has got much worse and a review would be fruitless as I am close to full retirement age or death.

There are some conditions that are so severe that there is no CDR review such as blindness and Lou Gehring's Disease. These diseases, among others, are listed as presumptive lifelong disabilities and are reviewed very quickly and approved for disability status without the wait associated with other impairments.

It took me about two years and half years to be declared disabled. It was just a long waiting period and that was many years ago; I suspect it is longer today with all the people applying. I waited a time before I applied because I refused to accept that I was disabled. My problems persisted and got worse. I could not find any work I could do. I could not get health insurance and I had no choice but to become disabled so as to receive Medicare.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-12-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 66,814 times
i have bipolar really bad and severe anxiety and depression and i applied for ssi my psychiatrist filed paper work stating that im disabled for the rest of my life and im unable to work and unfit to work any job at anytime well i had an appointment with one of ssi doctors and i was no nervos and had so much anxiety i couldnt help but to get emotional and cry the whole time i apologized for my behavior but i seriously couldnt help my self plus the questions she was asking mad me feel horrible! but i saw her report on accident and she wrote down that im chronically ill with bipolar does that mean i have a good chance at being approved?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slbergh View Post
i have bipolar really bad and severe anxiety and depression and i applied for ssi my psychiatrist filed paper work stating that im disabled for the rest of my life and im unable to work and unfit to work any job at anytime well i had an appointment with one of ssi doctors and i was no nervos and had so much anxiety i couldnt help but to get emotional and cry the whole time i apologized for my behavior but i seriously couldnt help my self plus the questions she was asking mad me feel horrible! but i saw her report on accident and she wrote down that im chronically ill with bipolar does that mean i have a good chance at being approved?
A doctor statement is never considered definitive proof of an impairment that will lead to a disability. Social Security Disability Determination are by regulations not allowed to even direct a question to your medical provider to answer the question; is the patient disabled. A physical or mental impairment does not mean someone is disabled. That is only part of the decision made by Social Security and involves age, occupation, education etc.

The medical provider is only asked to provide his medical assessment and clinical test and observations. However, a medical provider can provide any statement and it will be seen. In the case of psychiatric impairments, his clinical observations to make a diagnosis is pertinent but not definitive. Social Security may then order evaluations from their physicians for some applicants.

Note: SSI means Supplemental Security Income. SSDI is the correct descriptive for Social Security Disability Income.

Livecontent

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM

this was decided by one of their psychatrists.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slbergh View Post
this was decided by one of their psychatrists.
As a strict rule the examining social security physician is not to share their diagnosis or conclusions with the applicant. The Physician, even if he is a Social Security contracted Physician, does not make the decision on the disability. The disability examiner makes that decision with all the evidence and applies it to the determining regulations. If you saw the examining report, you cannot make assumptions based on what you have seen. The most important issue that must be understood is that even if you have an impairment does not mean your are disabled. You will just have to wait for the official decision.

Livecontent

Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 AM

oh okay thank you verymuch you were very helpful

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 22,102 times
I was approved for SSDI in 6 months. I have spinal stenosis, sciatica and need both knees replaced. I filed in Jan 2012, received a letter from assigned caseworker in March, was sent for a medical exam and x-rays in July. I got my backpay October 10th and my checks start in November. I was shocked that I got approved so quick. Best of luck to all of you who are going through the process now.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM

19,547 posts, read 37,254,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanlamb9958 View Post
I was approved for SSDI in 6 months. I have spinal stenosis, sciatica and need both knees replaced. I filed in Jan 2012, received a letter from assigned caseworker in March, was sent for a medical exam and x-rays in July. I got my backpay October 10th and my checks start in November. I was shocked that I got approved so quick. Best of luck to all of you who are going through the process now.
Where are you located? I think that makes a big difference.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,454,114 times
For me, it was less than two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised since I live in southern California which is known for being extremely overcrowded and corrupted. The operator who helped me with my case informed me that it does take as long as four months for some people to even hear back from SSI staff after the initial filing.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM

28,063 posts, read 31,098,350 times
A timely article on the OP question.

Family wins $206,000 in Social Security disability benefit case - baltimoresun.com

Then there's the wait.

Quote:
More than 63,000 claimants waited at least 635 days for an initial appeal hearing and decision in 2007. While the agency has made strides in making the process quicker, the goal this year is to close the backlog of cases older than 310 days.

And that's after individuals wait an average of 150 days for a claim to be denied and then reconsidered by agency personnel before appealing to an administrative law judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance