U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 16,126,740 times

Advertisements

Related to your question OP
My brother who has a heart valve and has to take about 8 prescriptions, including one to thin his blood. This blood thinner makes him at risk for even a scratch. He has been fighting to get SSDI for about 7-8 years. Repeated hearings, repeated appeals and denials. It can be a nightmare, even w/ doctors letters and full evidence. At his hearing last year, the judge asked him what he does during the day, and "Do you watch TV" My brother of course said yes. Judge hit his gavel and said, "Well then you can be a security guard and watch monitors"....
My brother's soc ser. lady told him. "R they are just waiting for you to die"
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
My brother who has a heart valve and has to take about 8 prescriptions, including one to thin his blood. This blood thinner makes him at risk for even a scratch. He has been fighting to get SSDI for about 7-8 years. Repeated hearings, repeated appeals and denials. It can be a nightmare, even w/ doctors letters and full evidence. At his hearing last year, the judge asked him what he does during the day, and "Do you watch TV" My brother of course said yes. Judge hit his gavel and said, "Well then you can be a security guard and watch monitors"....
The point the Judge was trying (unsuccessfully) to make was that one must prove that one is ill, AND that the illness prevents you him/her from working. Most people who are currently receiving disability are perfectly capable of sitting in a security booth and watching television. However, most of these individuals are not capable of chasing someone, wrestling them to the ground, and handcuffing them, without getting injured or killed. Like most jobs, security guards must be able to do more than sit on the rear ends all day.

It;s hard to give good advice to someone who had already shaken all the trees. I assume he has an attorney helping him. If not, he certainly needs one!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjim69 View Post
The social security system is designed to cause people to give up instead of waiting for a hearing in a timly manner. I was diagnosed with MS 12 years ago and insisted on working as long as possible. Now that my health has made working impossible I have been denied disability because the case workers say that my past work history shows that I am able to work. I have lost my home and all possessions that I had due to the financial hardship I have faced. Have been denied and now awaiting a hearing before a judge which I have been told could take up to another year. I don't know how after one year another is going to matter or how I am supposed to survive. No wonder suicides take place so often while people are in this limbo.
As Golfgal said, you certainly need an attorney, if you do not have one already. An appeal may be your only option. Once a SS case gets into the Court system, it is never a fair fight, unless you are represented by your own attorney.

It sounds like you need to prove that your condition has deteriorated in recent years, since your MS was not severe enough in the past to prevent you from working. What specifically has happened since then, medically, that has prevented you from working? This is the question that the Court will want answered (and supported by evidence.)

Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,948,429 times
No the new defintio of wrok is now suitable wrok meanig basically unable to do work you have been doing.But disabilty is not always permanent with such claims and is subject to review. I have two friends who got it without laws ;first claim by their physicans submittal. hey coud statrt new career but one they ahe done for thirty years they are not able to do because of condition.Oyhers i know have been refused.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,547,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The job descriptions SS uses is from the Dictionary of Occupational Titles is from 1986. The job functions are of course completely outdated as written. There are jobs that do exist that might be more reasonable for a disabled person might be able to perform, but if the job doesn't exist in the DOT, than it can't be used by the Vocational Counselor or ALJ as an example.

Surveillance system monitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm betting that the ALJ had gotten to the fifth and final step in determining if your brother could perform "Other Work". In other words, he came very close to approval, but the ALJ was looking for a technicality in order to deny him.

I hope he filed his appeal in a timely fashion. An attorney or using a non-attorney SSI/SSDI representative would be a good idea. This service has a good reputation: Social Security Disability | Appeal | Insurance | Benefits | SSDI

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 16,126,740 times
Thank you for the tips LitLove71. I greatly appreciate it, and will check on this for my brother and forward what I find. Thanks for the great information.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM

9,041 posts, read 13,602,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I applied and got my first check 14 months later, for total blindness.

I got turned down the first time for having more than $2,000 in savings, the second time for a snafu in my forms, and then the third time my case worker was just like, "this is ridiculous" and made sure my case got through.

They helped me fill out my forms at the local SSA so I could make sure they didn't get messed up again, lol.

They had to decide whether or not my same sex marriage counted but then decided I'm single on the federal level, so that added some time to the process too.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble. As I recall, from other posts, you have hearing problems as well? Its truly an absurd system! Then you hear about people getting SSI for being nervous, or lack social skills, etc. You sound like a lovely person, I'm glad the system finally went in your favor.

BTW, is there a difference---SSI and SSDI? I see them both used, is it just a typo, or different programs?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,447,019 times
Quote:
=MaryleeII;28743655

BTW, is there a difference---SSI and SSDI? I see them both used, is it just a typo, or different programs?
Difference between Social Security disability and SSI disability

Last edited by golfgal; 03-20-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
I'm hoping someone here can help enlighten me.....My husband filed for disability for chronic pain in his right leg and especially in his ankle...The pain began with a blood clot but it never went away long after the clot dissolved. They tried so many different things to explain his pain and each time .... nothing. We finally tried for ssdi because an advocate told us it's trick but you don't have to have a diagnosis you just have to show that you have pain an it's limiting....Well his claim was denied and before he even got the denial letter they found a diagnosis!!!! He had RSD....The denial letter claimed that while he had some troubles and there were certain works he can't do, his age 46 allows him to be retrained for other work...I found this interesting with his blood clot disorder the hydrocodone and Neurontin that he takes daily and the level of pain he told them he had on a regular basis. I feel they don't believe that he's in that much pain (I know better when he cries to have is foot cut off at times). Does anyone know if that is likely the case? and if so will they take him more seriously with the diagnosis of RSD? TO give a time frame, he had the clot in Sept. 2011 and it's now 6 of 2013 so he's been suffering for awhile.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM

19,548 posts, read 37,264,804 times
Have you read any of this thread? SSDI is far from easy to obtain, contrary to misinformed popular belief. A denial the first time around is common. An approval first time around is very uncommon.

Waits of two or more years are usual, people often die while waiting.

You need to consult an attorney who specializes in SSDI. It is possible to successfully obtain an approval, but a lot depends on how good you are with presenting the medical evidence correctly - and - the area in which you are applying. Some states/counties have higher approval rates than others.

Read this thread. See an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance