Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativjeanyus View Post
I applied Sept 23, 2013 online, it is March 2 2014..I called to check on the status of my application and I was told it is with the medical examiner. I have been a cop for 18yrs and have endured a lot of physical altercations. As a female we are tried a lot because people don't believe that we can hold our own. I have been in several car accidents and my body is pretty much broken. I have fibromyalgia, need total knee replacement on my right knee and my L4 and L5 in my lower back prevents me from walking most of the time. I had neck surgery 10 years ago and now my discs are starting to deteriorate. I was just disqualified from my job 2 months ago and cant work anymore. My doctors are behind me 100%. my best friend applied for disability and in less that 3 months she was approved. She is obese and had knee problems. I know that if you are obese or addicted to drugs you don't have a problem getting disability. I have earned mine and its not fair the way some of us are treated.
There is no "earning" of social disability benefits other than working and paying the fica taxes. Obesity is a severe impairment but that alone is not sufficient to qualify for benefits. Claimants with a history of drug abuse have a much more difficult time proving disability.

Age, experience and education are huge factors. How old are you? I'm curious though, doesn't your police department provide a pension for those officers with service connected disabilities? Or does the municipality/county/state provide a pension for disabled employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Umm,if someone has been a cop for 18 yrs don't they qaulify for SSDI and not SSI?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:52 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Umm,if someone has been a cop for 18 yrs don't they qaulify for SSDI and not SSI?
I assume she meant SSDI. In any event, it doesn't really matter as the process is the same.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:50 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Has anyone applied for disability with Lupus & was not given it after the hearing? Curious cause my friend doesn't think her hearing went well & she'll be denied West Virginia

Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Has anyone applied for disability with Lupus & was not given it after the hearing? Curious cause my friend doesn't think her hearing went well & she'll be denied West Virginia
It doesn't matter what illness you have, what matters is if you are able to do any kind of work. And you need medical records to prove that you cannot in fact do any kind of work, not just the work you used to do.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
There seem to be so many misunderstandings and confusion about SSI and SSDI. It's a good idea to either get help from a SSI/SSDI counselor who specializes in these things as a friend of mine did who applied for SSDI. He didn't charge her a whole lot and she was able to get benefits the first time around. Or go to an attorney who specializes in these cases. I did that after my first denial and was approved on the second.

The reason why I am suggesting this is because one size does not fit all. The state in which you live, the type of disability, the medical records you can obtain and other factors all play a role determining whether or not you will get these benefits. No one can go by anyone else's experience. The more information you have regarding your situation and how to handle it the better. Yours and no one else's.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Did anyone applying for SSI and/or SSDI list a contact person to be available for questions?

Any comments on this? I know the attornies dont let you list a contact person, but the online form highly recommends one.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 PM

Well, I applied online. I wonder how much into account the Determination Board takes into consideration side-effects. How anyone can work on Dopimax (Topimax) is beyond me!!!!...it takes the edge off the pain but you're basically a Zombie that cant remember whether or not you took the last pill...Geez...I put the butter 'back' into the dishwasher, told my daughter'good nite' at 7:00in the morning when she left for school...ooh boy....and they think opiates are so bad?? I wasn't bad at all on opiates!!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Well, I applied online. I wonder how much into account the Determination Board takes into consideration side-effects. How anyone can work on Dopimax (Topimax) is beyond me!!!!...it takes the edge off the pain but you're basically a Zombie that cant remember whether or not you took the last pill...Geez...I put the butter 'back' into the dishwasher, told my daughter'good nite' at 7:00in the morning when she left for school...ooh boy....and they think opiates are so bad?? I wasn't bad at all on opiates!!
Did you answer any questions about your ability to handle daily activities of living--such as dressing, housework, how active you are, etc? If not yet, you will probably get a supplemental questionnaire. By the way, its called a Disability Examiner, not a "determination board." If you haven't done so yet, be sure to speak to your physician about your difficulty with daily living activities, driving, etc due to side effects of meds. If you listed various physicians on your application, they will be contacted. A well written letter from physicians is worth alot. So are these: age, education, ability to return to prior occupations, transferrable skills, ability to function socially.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks. I laid out in the allotted character-spaces how i was forced to stop my old job last February, and receive med. treatment, and then how day to day living went from there..Going for SSDI, I worked my whole life....

and how as that spiraled down.... My physician referred me to psychiatrist for depression and panic attacks. I never even knew what a panic attack was. Also, I never knew my throwing up when I get the Migraines was linked..

I hate to be such a ' victim' but disabling spinal condition and the never-ending, relentless pain that it causes is no joking matter. Attempting new treatment for pain management.

I didn't think it was suicidal to say I wanted to shoot myself in the head just to stop the pain from my neck and shoulder...it sounding like a solution, at the time...not depression.. does that sound like depression? Or maybe just desperation....out here where I live so many folks abuse pain meds doctors here are very very conservative about prescribing them.

Really hoping for SSDI in the next year so I can focus on some physical therapy, cant spend my life in bed!!

I've never been treated for anything my whole life except for c-sections when i had children 20 years ago, I've lived a Holistic, natural lifestyle before this spine injury...yet these alcoholic neighbors of mine, on sec. 8, and food stamps, none the less, seem always to have opiate pain meds just'because' they're stressed. Now that depresses me. My neurosurgeon said the whole island was under investigation for opiods or whatever so he was going only with anti-convulsants for nerve pain which does nothing for my torn rotator cuff injury...

Th pain clinic offered me Celebrex...I have a bleeding problem! What were they thinking those goofballs!! ...anyway, lol, this has been such a learning process, and I have a new found compassion for the eldely and handcapped and injured...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance